Chit Chat
Options

Bra Color & Culture

Joanna Goddard started what I thought was an interesting discussion about bras on her blog a few days ago:
http://cupofjo.com/2016/04/french-bra-styling/#more-81092

The comments are amusing.  A lot of the posters find nude bras grandma-y and totally unappealing.  I agree to a point but also think there's something sexy about the creme or white clingy blouse with nude bra underneath silhoutte, especially for work.

What are your thoughts, ladies?  Do you wear a white or nude or black or colored bra under a white top?  

Re: Bra Color & Culture

• Options

I own mostly nude bras with the exception of one black one.  I will wear the black one under dark colored clothes and the nude ones otherwise on a daily basis.  My bras are expensive to purchase and I literally can't afford a full rainbow of colored ones!

I do own some other colored bras, but those are hardly worn.  They are usually reserved for "special occasions" with H!

• Options
    I don't like to ever see bras. It would be considered highly unprofessional at my work. Visible bra straps are not permitted either. I wear mostly a nude, or a dark gray one, depending if I have a light or dark shirt. I have a few in those shades that are lacy and "sexier", but again, you can't see them through the shirt. The lacy ones only work with a heavier material top.
  • Options
    I'm boring and have worn a nursing bra for the last 19 mo.   In those I'm not going out of my way to be sexy.

And I know that a white bra will turn into a grey bra.   So I opt for nude and black as my basics.

When I'm able to have a bit more fun, I still find that nude is a good staple.   I don't want the world to see my bra under my clothing.   I live in an area where boat shoes and khakis are far too popular for a bra pop of color to be viewed as anything but scandalous.
  • Options
    My favorite bra is purple. I have a black and a nude as well. I never wear shirts that you can see my bra at work.
  • Options

I'm wearing a white shirt with a nude bra right now. Why on earth would someone wear a colored bra under a white shirt.

I could care less what type of bra someone has on and therefore don't need that person to show it to me through the shirt

• Options
    Most of the outfits I wear to work are dark dresses or a combination of a not-very-clingy blouse with a skirt or pants. There is very little chance that my bra is going to show, in other words, unless the strap slips, which of course does happen every now and again. In regular life though I have no problem with a bra showing a little. 

I have a lot of bras but the ones I wear most are determined by how they fit and feel as opposed to how they look. I have a Bralellujah on right now that is nude colored and I wear it a fair amount. My other regular rotation bras are two very lacy bright colored bras that I got in a lingerie subscription box and two lacy VC bralettes (think no padding stretchy lace) that have lovely colorful patterns. One is racerback one is regular. I wear the non-padded bras under a lot of things that are more fitted so my boobs aren't gigantic. 

I basically am a walking wardrobe malfunction with my chest though - I'm a 36C so that doesn't sound super big but most good underwire bras have padding which really amps up the size in an unnecessary way. 
  • Options
    Most of the outfits I wear to work are dark dresses or a combination of a not-very-clingy blouse with a skirt or pants. There is very little chance that my bra is going to show, in other words, unless the strap slips, which of course does happen every now and again. In regular life though I have no problem with a bra showing a little. 

I have a lot of bras but the ones I wear most are determined by how they fit and feel as opposed to how they look. I have a Bralellujah on right now that is nude colored and I wear it a fair amount. My other regular rotation bras are two very lacy bright colored bras that I got in a lingerie subscription box and two lacy VC bralettes (think no padding stretchy lace) that have lovely colorful patterns. One is racerback one is regular. I wear the non-padded bras under a lot of things that are more fitted so my boobs aren't gigantic. 

I basically am a walking wardrobe malfunction with my chest though - I'm a 36C so that doesn't sound super big but most good underwire bras have padding which really amps up the size in an unnecessary way. 
    Just checked out Bralelujah - love the wide strap and seamlessness! 
  • Options
    I honestly do not wear sexy bras very often or at all. I'm a pretty busty girl for my height and weight, and I've often had back pain and problems from not wearing a bra with proper support. I have one nude Spanx bra that I basically live in and a couple of colored bras that I wear occasionally.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    I have a variety of colours and styles of bras- but I would never wear a bra that would show under a shirt (and I'm a "young" person). I don't like this trend- I feel it is inappropriate (particularly for work), except maybe to the beach or a club with a bandeau top and large tank.

As for a white top- nude bra. White on white still shows a silhouette. A sales person at a clothing store once told me you always match your bra/underwear to your skin tone so that it doesn't show- black+black and white+white doesn't always work..
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    I own bras in many colors, fabrics, and patterns. I don't think bras should show through your shirt. Sometimes even my nude bras show through white (or variations of) tops, so I wear a strapless nude (Even though the shirt isn't strapless) so you can't see straps to cut down on bra visibility.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    After my mastectomy and reconstruction, I wore a completely different size and shape than I had before.  My first bra shopping experience was a shock.  Then I lost 45 pounds on chemo;  All the bras I had loved before surgery had to go, and that brand no longer fit me at all.  I am not allowed to wear underwire bras at all.
    After a lot of shopping, I finally found a comfortable and reasonably attractive bra that I love.  Bali has a new series called Comfort Revolution.  I have three in nude and one in white.  I would love to have one in a pretty, fun color, but I am still in a larger size, and they don't make them in any color except standard colors.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016
    I only wear nude and black bras. I like basic underwear.

Frankly, I think underwear showing through or out from under your clothes is tacky. That includes whale tails, dark underwear under white pants, guys wearing saggy pants that show their boxers, bra straps and everything else.

ETA: I wear black bras under dark clothing and nude under anything light or mid-tone. I only one one sexy bra and that one is cupless so I never wear it out and about. I wouldn't mind having some sexy bras or colored ones that I could wear on a regular basis, but bras are so expensive that I don't want to spend the money. 
  • Options
    I only have nude, white, and black bras. I wear the white under white shirts (with an undershirt as well, bc I am not a fan of people being able to see my bra), black under black shirts, and nude under everything else. Honestly, I don't give a damn if nude seems "grandma-y" to anyone, since H is the only person who ever sees them anyway. 

Comfort is far more important to me than color.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer nude or whatever is on clearance and fits...bras are hella expensive!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Nude for day time, anything goes for evening!
  • Options
    I'm a nude or black girl, though I did just buy a dark blue one (same style).  Add me to the thinking of seeing underwear is tacky.  I always wear nude under something that might show (white, thinner material).  My students however have taken to wearing white with black bras under.  Not sure if they don't care, if they're doing it on purpose, or if they genuinely don't get how yucky it looks to my granny eyes.  ;)

Sports bras now, I go all out with pretty colours and patterns.  I cheer in sports bra and shorts, so thats where I can show off some fun bra styles.  I have way too many sports bras.  

• Options

Frankly, I think underwear showing through or out from under your clothes is tacky. That includes whale tails, dark underwear under white pants, guys wearing saggy pants that show their boxers, bra straps and everything else.

ETA: I wear black bras under dark clothing and nude under anything light or mid-tone. I only one one sexy bra and that one is cupless so I never wear it out and about. I wouldn't mind having some sexy bras or colored ones that I could wear on a regular basis, but bras are so expensive that I don't want to spend the money. 
    What are "whale tails?"
  • Options

What are "whale tails?"
    Racerback bra straps?

• Options
    Whale tail is when your thong is peeking out of your pants in back.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I agree with all of this.

But I particularly hate how it seems like for the last 3 or so years, most clothing is see through.  Like you're basically expected to either wear a camisole underneath or just show your bra off with every. thing. you. wear.

I hate having to wear undershirts.  I'm a simple lazy dresser.  I don't want to have to worry about wearing a camisole or whether my bra will show.  Please just sell thicker, more opaque shirts.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    @OurWildKingdom, yes. You don't see it as much now that mid- and high-rise jeans are back in style. In the early-, mid-, and late-2000s, super low-rise jeans were popular where you could just about see the top of a girl's butt crack and so you'd get this "whale tail" look if you wore a thong. 
  • Options
    Thongs?  Ugh!  I don't want anything in my butt crack!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Oh yeah. Duh. That's a look I find tacky for sure. 

• Options
    I actually don't like nude bras. I avoid them and wear a tank-top under white shirts instead. I like colorful bras or black. But, I was wearing a DDD in highschool and my senior year, I had a breast reduction. So, I think that I still have some issues with self-esteem when it comes to bras. I find that I am more confident when I wear bras that I think look great on me and are comfortable. I could never wear the super cute bras that girls in high-school could, so I am "catching up" :wink:

But, now that I am getting older, I can see the appeal of having some nude bras. Whites just don't seem to hold up long enough, so I think that they are a waste of money. I can't find my size where I currently live, so whenever I go home, I go on a mini-shopping spree to find bras and underwear. I need things that are going to last me awhile.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    monkeysip said:

I agree with all of this.

But I particularly hate how it seems like for the last 3 or so years, most clothing is see through.  Like you're basically expected to either wear a camisole underneath or just show your bra off with every. thing. you. wear.

I hate having to wear undershirts.  I'm a simple lazy dresser.  I don't want to have to worry about wearing a camisole or whether my bra will show.  Please just sell thicker, more opaque shirts.  
    Agreed. Annoying. I also prefer clothing to be made of a material that has some structure to it- much more flattering that way.
  • Options
    I'm small(ish) chested, so I typically go without a bra.

I have bras (I think I wore one a month ago?)-- two black, a pale blue one, a red one. I hate that white never stays crisply white, so I stopped buying them once I discovered the pale blue works just as well.

I owned a ton while I was still active duty-- I had just about every color and design. However, you can't really see anything through the olive drab undershirt and MARPAT blouse. When we wore service uniforms, I stuck to nude, light colors, white, no lace.

I don't wear a lot of thin clothing/shirts in general, so I don't have the issue with underwear/nipple showing. Well-made sundresses and sweater dresses tend to hide my bralessness, and sometimes I'll wear a tank top or cami. Bras can be sexy, but they're also expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards