Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

dress shopping during pregnancy

I haven't called around yet, but I'm curious if anyone else has or if it's even possible to dress shop during pregnancy. My wedding will take place when I'm 2 months post partum.  I don't even know where to begin with dress shopping. I don't want to look matronly at my wedding and postponing the wedding isn't really an option. 

Re: dress shopping during pregnancy

• Options
    JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    It's not going to be easy to predict in any case, but how far along are you now? 

ETA: Congratulations! On both fronts. :)
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited April 2016
    Will you be breast feeding?  This can make a difference.  Congratulations on your engagement and on the expected baby!
    One dress hint:  Don't even THINK about a mermaid style dress!  Get one that is forgiving around the hips and stomach, like an A line style.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    tutorgirl23tutorgirl23 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2016
    I am 3 months now, but I am definitely showing! I haven't decided on breast feeding. I go back and forth with it. 
  • Options
    It all depends.  I gained a lot of weight during my first pregnancy, and I never again fit into my old size.  My daughter was back to her old weight in six weeks.  (Not fair!)  I would wait and see.  You can always buy a sample gown after your baby comes.  David's Bridal has maternity options, too.  They have a shorter delivery time than other manufacturers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'd plan to buy an off the rack gown after you deliver. You just don't know. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    I agree with buying off the rack after you deliver.

David's Bridal is pretty good too. I know they tell you it usually takes 12 weeks to order, but my wedding dress was in by 4 weeks. My MOH ordered her dress about 8-10 weeks before our wedding and was told it would take 12, they were able to place a rush order on it (no extra cost), and it came in with plenty of time to spare. I am sure it does depend on the style/availability/season, but it would be worth talking to them about it and seeing what they can offer you (whether your option is off the rack, or if they can rush order something else).
  • Options

I'd budget and plan to purchase off the rack at the last possible second (I'd say the 6w PP mark)...  Whether you decide to BF or not, there's still going to be a change up top, you won't know if the belly swelling will have completely gone away or if you end up with a diastasis, proportions can greatly change from pregnancy..  During both of my pregnancies the bulk of the weight I put on was the last two months (If I was going to the fair I'd have won "Rate of Gain" for cripes sake - I didn't know it was humanly possible to gain that much in that short of time!)..  And, that first clothes shopping trip PP for non-maternity clothes can be pretty traumatic - so this way you keep an open mind about "what looks good on me" when trying on dresses. 

The only real disadvantage of purchasing off the rack at the last minute is you usually get hit for a rush fee on the alterations.  You WILL have a dress - you may not have as many options, but this is why shopping at a place like David's is to your advantage because if one store doesn't have the exact size you need, you can always hop on the phone and find another store within a few hours drive that does. 

• Options
    Other options would be to look at places that aren't exactly "wedding dresses" but still fit the bill. Modcloth is a website that comes to mind that has lots of options that would ship quickly enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards