Chit Chat

spinoff: Going away party gifts

Baptism thread got me thinking... I have a work friend that is moving to China (signed a contract to teach for at least 2 years) and her parents are throwing a goodbye party. I've never met her parents and the evite looks like 40 people are invited but I gather her older relatives are not on there. What do you all think? Just show up?

Re: spinoff: Going away party gifts

• I would probably show up with a card.  There isn't much you can give your co-worker, other than cash (which I probably wouldn't give to a co-worker in this situation - a sibling, niece/nephew?  I'd definitely give some cash then).  You don't want to give a big gift because she can't take it with her. 

If you can find something very small that could be easily packed and it will help remind her of home, that might be a nice thing to gift.  A small framed photo of a local landmark?  But otherwise, I wouldn't worry about a gift.

• I"d just do a card
  • Depending how close you are to this person (friends or just coworkers?) when  I moved across the country twice, friends individually made a point to bring me out for dinner in my final weeks. I thought it was a really nice gesture.

• Agree w/PPs - no one moving overseas wants any bulky gifts. I would just bring a card in your case.

If it were a close friend or family member moving across the country, I would probably take them out to dinner before they left, or get a gift certificate to a restaurant in their new city, for them to use when they get there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:
    Depending how close you are to this person (friends or just coworkers?) when  I moved across the country twice, friends individually made a point to bring me out for dinner in my final weeks. I thought it was a really nice gesture.
    Oh what a great idea! I'll have to keep that in mind for myself if I ever run into this situation with my friends or family members.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Another option, is if you know she likes a certain food item or product that might not be available in China, to gift her a couple of those. I'm thinking something small like a chocolate bar, Smarties, Kinder Egg, Kraft Dinner, etc.

If you don't know her that well, I think a card is fine.
  • SP29 said:
    Another option, is if you know she likes a certain food item or product that might not be available in China, to gift her a couple of those. I'm thinking something small like a chocolate bar, Smarties, Kinder Egg, Kraft Dinner, etc.

If you don't know her that well, I think a card is fine.
    My brother had a friend who taught in Japan for several years. My mother sent the friend a care package with Oreos and peanut butter. Neither one was widely available in Japan at the time.
  • Outlet converter? For her electronics? 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Thanks guys! She is actually really into cards- never something from the 99 cent section at target like most of mine are from, but always gives me ones for my birthday. Phew! One less thing to worry about as the school year ends

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards