I know this topic has been beaten to death so I apologize in advance. My FI and I decided (over 10 months ago) that we would not be able to accommodate children at our wedding. If we did, there would be over 40 children present and due to budgetary (and patience) constraints, it was just not feasible. I informed my entire extended family of this (several of whom have small children) and everyone was very understanding and respectful of our decision.
However, we have now received several RSVPs with children who were not included on the invitation. They are all from my FI's family (I have never met them) so it should be up to him or my FMIL/FFIL. His parents are not happy about our decision and have made the process difficult, so the onus is now on us. What is the best way to go about doing this so we do not offend people or hurt their feelings while remaining firm in our decision?
Thank you in advance!