New York-New York City

Changing name at SS and DMV in same day?

Hi all, 

I'm living (and getting married) abroad but will be flying home to visit family about two weeks after my wedding. I plan to take my husband's last name and will be legally changing it in NY during my visit. 

My plan is to go to the SS office in the morning when it opens and change my name there; I've already checked and they're okay with accepting an overseas marriage license despite the website implying otherwise. 

But will I be able to go to the DMV that same day, or do I need to wait for my new SS card? I'm only in NY for a few days so if I can't change the name on my driver's license immediately, I'll have to wait at least a year, which I really don't want to do. 

Basically, is having my current license, my current passport (both in my maiden name) plus my marriage license enough proof to change the name on my driver's license? The website doesn't seem clear to me either way. 

Thanks for any insight anyone has!

Re: Changing name at SS and DMV in same day?

• I had to present my new SS card. It took less than a week for it to arrive in the mail. You might want to call and ask if they will accept the name change receipt that the SSA will give you.
  • Thank you! I didn't realise you get a receipt. I get into town on a Monday night so will go first thing Tuesday morning, but then I fly back out over the weekend, so it's cutting it really close. 

The NY DMV website now seems to say I need to bring an application, my current license, and an original or certified copy of my US marriage certificate. It sounds like, assuming they'll accept my UK marriage certificate, I should be ok... hopefully!
  • Hope it worked out!
  • Thanks for checking in :smile: The DMV did accept my marriage license as enough proof, so I didn't even need to go to the SocSec office first.

Meanwhile, the postman apparently refused to deliver my new SocSec card because my name didn't match the name on the mailbox (because I use my parents' address when I'm in the US, and now my parents and I have different last names) so I won't be able to get the new card in hand for a long while... but at least I'm on record as having changed my name, so that's all that matters!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards