Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette rules that aren't my preference

1235»

Re: Etiquette rules that aren't my preference

• I don't think dry weddings are rude at all.  If you are only coming to my wedding for the alcohol, I really should have thought through the guest list better.  We will be having a dry wedding because a) we can't have alcohol at our wedding and b) my grandparents are super conservative and I'd rather have them feel comfortable.  I also think that bringing a flask is rude, because to second a lot of other people, it could be dry because of a liquor licensing issue or for religious purposes. Unless you know for sure it is just because the couple is cutting costs, don't bring a flask.

I don't think gaps are rude.  Obviously don't have like a 5 hour gap, but I don't think it is unreasonable to have a couple of hours in between the ceremony and reception to allow for photos.  The guests know as soon as they receive their invitation if their is a gap and if they don't want to dedicate that much time, they are more than welcome to decline.  Receiving a wedding invitation isn't jury duty, you have the choice of whether you want to go or not.  I do like however, if there is going to be a gap, that the bride & groom provide activities and suggestions for what to do during the gap.  We are going to have yard games and light refreshments at our venue, and we've also included directions to local attractions and shopping centers. 

I feel like this post turns "etiquette rules that aren't my preference" into "ways I'm being rude to my guests, so it's totally ok if you do too!"

Sorry that my family's religious beliefs get in the way of your alcoholism

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aren't you just a nasty little peach.
  • lyndausvi said:

I don't think dry weddings are rude at all.  If you are only coming to my wedding for the alcohol, I really should have thought through the guest list better.  We will be having a dry wedding because a) we can't have alcohol at our wedding and b) my grandparents are super conservative and I'd rather have them feel comfortable.  I also think that bringing a flask is rude, because to second a lot of other people, it could be dry because of a liquor licensing issue or for religious purposes. Unless you know for sure it is just because the couple is cutting costs, don't bring a flask.

I don't think gaps are rude.  Obviously don't have like a 5 hour gap, but I don't think it is unreasonable to have a couple of hours in between the ceremony and reception to allow for photos.  The guests know as soon as they receive their invitation if their is a gap and if they don't want to dedicate that much time, they are more than welcome to decline.  Receiving a wedding invitation isn't jury duty, you have the choice of whether you want to go or not.  I do like however, if there is going to be a gap, that the bride & groom provide activities and suggestions for what to do during the gap.  We are going to have yard games and light refreshments at our venue, and we've also included directions to local attractions and shopping centers. 

I feel like this post turns "etiquette rules that aren't my preference" into "ways I'm being rude to my guests, so it's totally ok if you do too!"
    Did someone say dry weddings are rude?   I thought we all agreed it's not rude at all.        Although, like the OP I would prefer cash over dry.  Of course, I will bitch about the cash bar, but I would like to drown my sorrows with a drink just the same:tongue:
    Sorry, I was definitely responding to the gap!! Dry weddings aren't rude in the slightest. I just went to one last week and it was lovely!

• I don't think dry weddings are rude at all.  If you are only coming to my wedding for the alcohol, I really should have thought through the guest list better.  We will be having a dry wedding because a) we can't have alcohol at our wedding and b) my grandparents are super conservative and I'd rather have them feel comfortable.  I also think that bringing a flask is rude, because to second a lot of other people, it could be dry because of a liquor licensing issue or for religious purposes. Unless you know for sure it is just because the couple is cutting costs, don't bring a flask.

Sorry that my family's religious beliefs get in the way of your alcoholism

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was talking about your gap. Not the dry wedding. I get it, you're backing up the part of your post that people support and ignoring the second part that no one does. But your gap is rude. You doing it doesn't make it less rude. That was my point

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards