Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invites and RSVPs

alhaley88alhaley88 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
Ladies, What is the proper wording for 5:30 PM on a formal invitation? And for RSVPs, does the rsvp date need to be spelled out the same way as on an invite, or can it be "August 13th, 2016"? And do we need to include the address of the venue on the invite? We were planning on including reception cards but im not sure if we need them? Would you suggest having them if everything is at one location? What is proper protocol?

Re: Invites and RSVPs

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    Half-after five o'clock.

That this means 5:30 p.m. is understood. Weddings don't take place at 5:30 a.m.!

For the date, use

Saturday, the thirteenth of August
    Two thousand and sixteen
  • I think August 13th, 2016 is fine for he RSVP.

You should definitely have the address. You do not need a reception card if everything is at the same place.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • LtPowersLtPowers member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Answer
    edited May 2016
    Jen4948 said:
    For the date, use

Saturday, the thirteenth of August
    Two thousand and sixteen
    "Two thousand sixteen" is the correct way to write "2016" (when writing numbers, the word "and" is only used to delimit decimals), but it's kind of a moot point because the year is unnecessary. And even if one wishes to include the year in the wedding date for posterity, it's even more unnecessary for the RSVP date.

"RSVP by August 13" is fine.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    5:30 PM = half after five o'clock.  Nobody will think that your wedding is at 5:30 AM, so including "in the afternoon" is not necessary.
    The date should be spelled out on the actual invitation unless you are going very non-traditional, and yes, it is "two thousand sixteen".  The Rsvp. card is informal, so a numerical date is fine for that.

I suggest you post your entire wording and we can check it for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Here is our wording for our Invite...please let me know where I need to make adjustments or if this is accurate.

The honor of your presence is requested
    at the Marriage of

Me
    & Him

Saturday, the Fourth of September
    Two Thousand Sixteen
    at Half after Five O'Clock

The Alexander Hotel
    333 South Delaware Street
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Reception to Follow
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Technically, I think "the honor of your presence" is only for church weddings. But whatever!

k thnx bye

• edited May 2016
    Tyvm said:
    Technically, I think "the honor of your presence" is only for church weddings. 
    You are correct. Are you having a religious ceremony, @alhaley88?
    edited May 2016
    The "honor of your presence" is ONLY for church weddings.  This is a very firm rule.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

Saturday, the fourth of September
    two thousand sixteen
    at half after five o'clock

The Alexander Hotel
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Reception to follow

Ampersands "&" are only allowed is they are an artistic part of the design.  They are never used in your actual print.  Do not capitalize any letters except proper nouns (your names) and the first word of the text.  I have bolded the changes I made.
    Your text is good, except for the capitalizations and the correction on the greeting.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    The "honor of your presence" is ONLY for church weddings.  This is a very firm rule.

at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

two thousand sixteen

The Alexander Hotel
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Reception to follow

Ampersands "&" are only allowed is they are an artistic part of the design.  They are never used in your actual print.  Do not capitalize any letters except proper nouns (your names) and the first word of the text.  I have bolded the changes I made.
    Your text is good, except for the capitalizations and the correction on the greeting.

@CMGragain Can you explain why? I've seen you mention this rule on here before and I just don't understand why it exists

• CMGragain said:

at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

two thousand sixteen

The Alexander Hotel
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Reception to follow

@CMGragain Can you explain why? I've seen you mention this rule on here before and I just don't understand why it exists

Obviously I'm not CMGr, but invitations are supposed to read like a sentence. You don't use symbols in sentences and you don't capitalize random words.  
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • CMGragain said:

at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

two thousand sixteen

The Alexander Hotel
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Reception to follow

Obviously I'm not CMGr, but invitations are supposed to read like a sentence. You don't use symbols in sentences and you don't capitalize random words.  
     @ShesSoCold

I was actually asking about the pleasure of your company vs. honor of your presence rule. Why is one for religious ceremonies and the other not? Just curious!
  • CMGragain said:

at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

two thousand sixteen

The Alexander Hotel
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Reception to follow

@ShesSoCold

I was actually asking about the pleasure of your company vs. honor of your presence rule. Why is one for religious ceremonies and the other not? Just curious!

Oooooooh! Okay sorry. Yeah that I don't know.
  • I would hazard a guess that at a religious service it isn't your company that is most important but that of the Diety. Your presence is there to witness the ceremony for the religious organization (which would be an honor) while at a secular ceremony your company would be the important thing. Just guessing though. Pretty fine line.
  • I think @ILoveBeachMusic explained it very well.  This rule is very well known.  If you break it, there will be a few guests who raise their eyebrows.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  But do you want your invitations to be correct, or not?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It is a catholic wedding. And I posted in regards to the actual wording, not so much the grammatical errors as I added it via my phone...and well...auto correct. There isn't an ampersand for me and him. It actually states my name to his full name. That being said....I will take heed to your advice ladies and make sure they are in proper form. I didn't see any verbiage errors so I think I'm good to go!
  • Although...I'm not catholic and I don't understand all of the stipulations. Our catholic priest said there will be no issues getting married out of a catholic church if we aren't doing a full mass? Different topic. Still trying to figure that one out. Might change the "honor" to pleasure just to be safe since I'm not 100% sure on the religiousness of the ceremony.....
  • If you are having a Catholic wedding (either full Mass or not) it is a religious service. Catholic weddings are not held outside of the church so I'm not sure what your priest was saying. Stick with "the honor of your presence" and you are good to go. 
    edited May 2016
    What kind of Catholic priest performs the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony outside the church?  This is against canon law, I believe?
    The phrase "honour of your presence" is for weddings held in a church.  The nature of the ceremony is not relevant, only the location.
    Are you having a mass?  How can that be done outside the church?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • alhaley88 said:
    It is a catholic wedding. And I posted in regards to the actual wording, not so much the grammatical errors as I added it via my phone...and well...auto correct. There isn't an ampersand for me and him. It actually states my name to his full name. That being said....I will take heed to your advice ladies and make sure they are in proper form. I didn't see any verbiage errors so I think I'm good to go!
    This would be incorrect for the wording you are using.  It should be "and" when two people are being united in marriage without parents hosting.

Here is traditional wording for a Catholic ceremony with mass:

The honour of your presence is requested
    at the Nuptial Mass uniting
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    in The Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
    Day. date
    time o'clock
    Church Name in Full
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @alhaley88, I live in Indianapolis too. I don't know of any Catholic priest that would perform a Catholic service outside of a church. The two archdiocese that encompass this area are pretty conservative. I'm not Catholic but my kids went to Catholic schools and have lots of Catholic friends. I think you really need to figure out what your priest meant.
  • Thanks ladies. I'm looking into the actual ceremony. I am changing the wording to not reflect the religious verbiage just to be on the safe side. I kind of left those details to my FH and just showed up for the premarriage counseling. Definitely need to look into that with the wedding so close!
  • @ILoveBeachMusic I'm honestly not sure. I'm not catholic either and initially I thought our priest said he would do the ceremony with another pastor from my religion so that it can be held outside of the church....but I'm not really religious to begin with so I have no idea. I'm obliging for my FH. I'm going to look into the actual details of the religiousness though! I don't like being out of the loop
  • alhaley88 said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic I'm honestly not sure. I'm not catholic either and initially I thought our priest said he would do the ceremony with another pastor from my religion so that it can be held outside of the church....but I'm not really religious to begin with so I have no idea. I'm obliging for my FH. I'm going to look into the actual details of the religiousness though! I don't like being out of the loop
    SITB

I think it is very important for you and your FI together to talk to the priest. If you aren't married in the Catholic church, your FI won't be in good standing with the Catholic church. That has ramifications I won't go into here. If it is important to him to remain in good standing with the Catholic church, you will have to have a Catholic ceremony which means inside the actual church building. 

As for the invitation wording,the invitation wording has to do with where the ceremony is held. If you are getting married in an actual church building, you use "the honor of your presence". When you say outside of the church, I don't know if you mean outside the physical building or outside the Catholic church (meaning not a Catholic ceremony).
    edited May 2016
    There are important consequences to your FI if you are not married in the Catholic church.  As a non-Catholic, you can still be married in the church if you were baptized in any other church.  Both of you will need to attend pre-cana classes for counseling. 
    My mother married a Catholic man using both a priest and a Methodist minister, but the wedding had to be held in the Catholic church.  No Mass was performed at this ceremony.
    Is your FI planning to continue practicing his Catholic faith?  How are you planning to raise any children?  These are very important questions that must be answered before you do any more wedding planning!
    Also, the Catholic church does not marry people at any time of day.  Usually weddings are only performed at certain times, like early afternoon.  Before you make ANY plans, you need to get this settled. 
    The Catholic Church has many strict rules about marriage.  It is really important that you both understand what you are doing before planning your wedding!

http://www.foryourmarriage.org/catholic-marriage/faqs/

Good luck and best wishes.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    As a non-Catholic, you can still be married in the church if you were baptized in any other church.
    From personal experience, having been baptized is not a requirement as long as one has dispensation from the bishop (which is, I think, required for any non-Catholic marrying a Catholic).
  • LtPowers said:
    CMGragain said:
    As a non-Catholic, you can still be married in the church if you were baptized in any other church.
    From personal experience, having been baptized is not a requirement as long as one has dispensation from the bishop (which is, I think, required for any non-Catholic marrying a Catholic).
    It's either/or. If you're baptized in any Christian denomination, you can be married to a Catholic in the Catholic church without dispensation. If the non-Catholic party is not a baptized Christian, a dispensation is needed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards