Chit Chat
Options

Double guessing my attire

Hey guys, 

I know I can't be the only bride doing this but I'm freaking out a little. We are five months away from the wedding and everything is done. I've taken my bridals and, for the most part, like the way they came out. But I don't love them, and that worries me. I'm not crazy about my hair and despite how much I loved my make up, the same girl can't do it for my wedding. The girl I do have didn't thrill me on my trial run but my girls (and I) can't afford 60+ dollars on just makeup (which seems to be normal around my area). 

I'm beginning to double guess everything! What should I do? Any help, advice, personal experience? I'm stuck between "It's our wedding and it should be special." and "It's one day. Why stress or go broke? The most important part is on that alter with me."  Then...."But I want to love my look..." Help? 

Re: Double guessing my attire

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Well I definitely don't think you should spend more than you can or care to afford, but if you don't like the look, can you not ask them to do something different? The point of the trial is to try something out first, so you have the chance to say you don't like something. Of course they aren't going to re-do the style at the time, but when you go back you can let them know, "After wearing the style the rest of the day, I really didn't like X and I'd like to do Y instead".

Do you have pictures of what you do want? I did a hair trial, but not make up. In both cases I brought in pictures and said I want THIS. My hair turned out a little bit different than I was going for, but the overall feel was still the same. I would prepare yourself for some individuality on the part of the stylist. When I look back at photos, there are some individual things I didn't like about my hair, but when I put the whole picture together, I think I looked pretty darn good! Thus I would suggest focusing on that- how does the whole package make you feel?

One of my friends also didn't love her hair the day of her wedding, but she said the more she looked at her photos, the more she liked it. I'm thinking she started doing as I suggested above- focusing less on the specific details of her hair and more on the complete package- and she looked beautiful.
  • Options
    Can you afford to have another hair only trial or make up only trial and work with the stylist to land somewhere you are happier? Perhaps if you were really happy with one element it would ease the blow on the other. I agree with @SP29 that the overall look is the most important thing. Do you have photos to show either us or some close friends/family? Perhaps some objective opinions would ease your mind - you will be your own harshest critic after all. You probably see all the faults where others can see the overall package.

• Options
    You are five months out and you've already done your hair and makeup trials? 

Your BMs do not have to have professional makeup just because you do. Pick a person, tell them makeup is optional, and let them decide what they can afford. If you require them to get hair or makeup or both done then you have to be the one to pay for it. 
  • Options
    You are five months out and you've already done your hair and makeup trials? 

Your BMs do not have to have professional makeup just because you do. Pick a person, tell them makeup is optional, and let them decide what they can afford. If you require them to get hair or makeup or both done then you have to be the one to pay for it. 
    OP mentioned that she's already had her bridal portraits done, so I'm assuming that's why she did her trials that early.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    My salon was really great about giving me a free second hair and make-up trial. The free hair trial was because my original stylist left the salon and they had to assign me to another person. It worked out really great since I ended up going in a completely different direction with my hair anyway! I got a free second make-up trial as well because I was really disappointed with the service I received in the original trial. I think if they are a good, reputable salon who cares about customer service they'll try to work with you on another trial to fix the issues you had with your original look.

I'm kind of confused because first you say you really love the person who did your make-up but she's not available on your wedding day, and then you go on to say that that the new person you're assigned to didn't thrill you. So did you already have a second follow-up trial with your new stylist?

Finally, as others have said, your bridesmaids shouldn't be required to get pro-hair and pro-make up done. Obviously they can get it done at their own option, but it shouldn't be something they HAVE to have.

• Options
    Hey guys, 
    Thanks for all the advice. Update is that I have appointments with my hair and makeup ladies to see what everything looks like together so I'm excited about that. As to the part about my girls, I'm not making them do the professionals if they don't want to. The reason I mentioned it was because the girls I have aren't the $60+ other people one. They're actually: $45 for traditional base makeup, $60 for airbrush makeup (my girls have the option day of), and $45 for hair. It's not horrible. 

Part of me is wondering if I want my dress or not. It's not originally what I wanted but because of my body shape, it's what looks best. The dress is gorgeous but I'm not so sure any more now that I see others in passing. I feel like a spoiled brat if I decided to test the waters on a different dress. Has anyone else done this? 
  • Options
    If you keep looking you are bound to find something else. Stop looking. Be happy with what you have. If you can't afford $60 for make up, you shouldn't even think about buying a second dress. Stop over thinking it, have a margarita and stop stressing needlessly.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    When I was married in 1976, NOBODY got professional makeup.  We did our own, and we looked just fine.  Do you think somebody will say, "Oh, look, she didn't get professional makeup!"?  Really?
    I even did my own hair to save money.  I don't really recommend that, though.
    Relax.  It will be fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards