Wedding 911
Options

Wedding is a Disaster!

Our wedding plans have been a disaster since the beginning. Our proposal was somewhat ruined due to the family members watching making inappropriate jokes and comments. We can't even show our proposal video due to this. We booked our wedding venue in Philly which is close to where we live but our families are all scattered throughout the country so everyone would have to travel. As soon as we informed our family that it was booked they complained and refused to go since it was so inconvenient for them. So, we lost our deposit and booked another venue in the state I used to live in where about 20 of our guests live near. BUT this was also not convenient enough because it was a 2 hour drive for some. We planned to keep this venue to not lose anymore money but I was laid off from my job in November so we had no choice but to cancel this venue as well. Finally we found a very reasonably price place that is literally 15 minutes from where these 20 people live (this includes my parents, siblings, grandparents, and aunt/uncles). I don't even like it but it will do. Now our issue is that no one is willing to help with recommendations for vendors or anything. My mom decided to throw my bridal shower but messed up the invitations, it doesn't even say it's for a bridal shower on them so no one knows what they're being invited to unless they're close to me and already know the date. I also have to drive 12+ hours to attend this because again no one wanted to travel to where I am. My bridal party hasn't offered any help to me and complains about the dresses being too expensive. I gave them 4 options of which 2 were clearance and the others were on sale. None of them were above $120. I had my matron of honor and another bridesmaid drop out. We've had to cut so much from our wedding that we wanted and all the money promised by our family they have since said they can no longer provide. The whole process has been disappointing. Should I even bother continuing with this? I'm not excited about it and neither is my fiancé. We just want to runaway and elope. My wedding is in July so I'm running out of time to make this decision.  

Re: Wedding is a Disaster!

• Options
    Our wedding plans have been a disaster since the beginning. Our proposal was somewhat ruined due to the family members watching making inappropriate jokes and comments. We can't even show our proposal video due to this. We booked our wedding venue in Philly which is close to where we live but our families are all scattered throughout the country so everyone would have to travel. As soon as we informed our family that it was booked they complained and refused to go since it was so inconvenient for them. So, we lost our deposit and booked another venue in the state I used to live in where about 20 of our guests live near. BUT this was also not convenient enough because it was a 2 hour drive for some. We planned to keep this venue to not lose anymore money but I was laid off from my job in November so we had no choice but to cancel this venue as well. Finally we found a very reasonably price place that is literally 15 minutes from where these 20 people live (this includes my parents, siblings, grandparents, and aunt/uncles). I don't even like it but it will do. Now our issue is that no one is willing to help with recommendations for vendors or anything. My mom decided to throw my bridal shower but messed up the invitations, it doesn't even say it's for a bridal shower on them so no one knows what they're being invited to unless they're close to me and already know the date. I also have to drive 12+ hours to attend this because again no one wanted to travel to where I am. My bridal party hasn't offered any help to me and complains about the dresses being too expensive. I gave them 4 options of which 2 were clearance and the others were on sale. None of them were above $120. I had my matron of honor and another bridesmaid drop out. We've had to cut so much from our wedding that we wanted and all the money promised by our family they have since said they can no longer provide. The whole process has been disappointing. Should I even bother continuing with this? I'm not excited about it and neither is my fiancé. We just want to runaway and elope. My wedding is in July so I'm running out of time to make this decision.  
    Jic
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. To be a little more clear, yes the invitations for the shower were sent out already so there is no fixing them. They were also sent out a month late and my shower is in 2 weeks. I did send 5 different very cheap options for invitations and they still picked something totally opposite. My frustration with this is that no one has acted like they care about this and the shower was the first real event leading up to the wedding that I could be excited about. But the invitations don't even communicate what it's for. I may not even have anyone show and I'm driving all that way for it. Furthermore I think sending rhe invites so late looks rude to both sides of our family that live far away. Even if they wanted to attend they wouldn't have time to shop send a gift or travel. 

My family begged me to have it in this area and offered to look for vendors for me but when it came down to it they didn't. My youngest brother is the only one helping actually. He's been great the past few days. As far as the money we are in quite a bind because we can't afford our photographer much less paying the rest of these people. I think that's where most of my frustration is coming from. 

I did did ask my bridesmaids what their budget would be and everyone at the time said $150 was the max so I stayed below that. I'm gifting accessories and possibly paying for hair and makeup. They also said they'd "love" to help and were so excited but every time it comes down to it they're too busy. 

Also do the proposal itself was super sweet and I am thrilled to be marrying my fiancé. The video bothers my fiancé more because he had plans for it. 

• Options
    Ditto PPs on everything, but you sound miserable. I would elope.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. To be a little more clear, yes the invitations for the shower were sent out already so there is no fixing them. In this case, send an email, text or Facebook message letting people know it is indeed a shower. They were also sent out a month late and my shower is in 2 weeks. I did send 5 different very cheap options for invitations and they still picked something totally opposite. Invitations are really up to the planners of the shower. So while yea, it'd be great if they took your taste into consideration, they really don't need to do what you said, and per etiquette rules, you really shouldn't be involved in the planning like that. I had no input on the invitations for my two showers, and of the two showers I have hosted, I did not ask for input on invitations and the brides did not give any.  My frustration with this is that no one has acted like they care about this and the shower was the first real event leading up to the wedding that I could be excited about. How are they not caring? People say this a lot on these boards - no one will care about your wedding as much as you do. It'd be great if people were always super excited about your wedding, but they have their own lives and things they're dealing with that can take their attention.  Try to let it go.  But the invitations don't even communicate what it's for. I may not even have anyone show and I'm driving all that way for it. Furthermore I think sending rhe invites so late looks rude to both sides of our family that live far away. Even if they wanted to attend they wouldn't have time to shop send a gift or travel. First, two weeks is plenty of time to shop and send a gift if someone chooses to. I live in Alaska and we get packages from Amazon and such within a week. Many people don't travel for showers, and while it's unfortunate if they may have wanted to, it'll be ok in the end.  

My family begged me to have it in this area and offered to look for vendors for me but when it came down to it they didn't. It sounds like your family has a problem with saying things and then not following through. This is something you just need to learn to accept. Stop counting on them. If they say something, assume they won't follow through and continue on with your own stuff. Then, if they actually do come through, it will be a nice surprise. My youngest brother is the only one helping actually. He's been great the past few days. As far as the money we are in quite a bind because we can't afford our photographer much less paying the rest of these people. I think that's where most of my frustration is coming from. Like a PP said, if you can't afford these people, you need to stop and start over from square one. Figure out what exactly you can afford and start from there. Again, I suggest the budget board for help on planning an inexpensive wedding. You will be in big legal trouble if it comes to the day of and you can't pay these people after they've provided services. 

I did did ask my bridesmaids what their budget would be and everyone at the time said $150 was the max so I stayed below that. In this case, I'd ignore the comments. Either that or change direction and tell them a color scheme to stick in and get whatever they want.  I'm gifting accessories and possibly paying for hair and makeup.  If you are looking for places to cut money, here is a good spot! Tell them to wear whatever accessories they want and don't buy them any or return them if you already bought them. Accessories don't need to match. Ditto hair and makeup. Unless you are requiring them to get it professionally done, you don't need to pay for it. Tell them they can do their own hair and makeup and call it a day. They also said they'd "love" to help and were so excited but every time it comes down to it they're too busy. I give the same advice as above. Don't count on them, and if they show up it's a nice surprise.

Also do the proposal itself was super sweet and I am thrilled to be marrying my fiancé. The video bothers my fiancé more because he had plans for it. 

See comments in bold.
  • Options
    Elope. 
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016

You've got my "ELOPE ALREADY!" vote!!!  Good Heavens!!!

O.k. this is not going to end well...

For starters - the only things you need to get married are 1) Someone to marry you, 2) A license, and 3) Someone to witness/officiate.  The rest is window dressing and gravy!!!  The moment you invite a guest, they need to be hosted properly. 

You're now going back to square one.  Clearly this IS NOT the wedding you nor your FI want right now.  So - STOP IT!  This is your wedding, the money you have in your bank account is what you have to work with.  If people whine - oh well, they aren't paying, they don't get a say in A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!  While it would be nice of them to show up, an invitation is not a subpoena, if it's important to them, they'll be there regardless of where you decide to have it.  The fact that they screwed up the shower invitations works in your favor for reworking the wedding to the one you can afford.  No wedding is worth risking your financial future.  Nor your relationship with your FI!  It's your FI's day too!!!  You're putting an awful lot on the two of you to pull this DW for you off in a place you don't want to have it. 

Now, your options...

1) Host in the venue you currently have booked, but scale it back to a non-meal time (10:00AM, 2PM, 3PM, 7:30PM) ceremony and have a "Cake & Punch Reception" immediately and you'll save yourselves THOUSANDS.  Obviously, upgrade as your bank account allows. 

2) Elope - Heck - You could elope to one of Caesar's Resorts out in PA and not add excessive travel for you! (12 hours each way - don't get me started!)  Cove Haven and Pocono Palace are great all-inclusive venues and they'll do everything for you.. 

3) Option C - you move your wedding back to Philly, plan exactly how you want it with your FI, you invite your VIP's only, you have a hosted dinner gathering at a nice restaurant in a private room that you can afford, and Congratulations - you're married and had your dream wedding! 

At some point you NEED to take back your wedding, Ye who pays gets a say, but until that money is in your bank account or check handed to a vendor in front of you, it doesn't exist!!!  You are not the first bride to have that exact same situation happen to you, you won't be the last.  I won't go in to how you could have handled the BM dress situation better since hindsight is always 20/20... BUT, you've got to get this stuff nipped in the bud NOW!

ETA: Photography is one of the few areas we tell brides not to cut back too far on because at the end of the day those pictures are what you have to remember the day.  That's not to say you need a 12 hour package that starts at $2500, but for the photographer to arrive a half-hour before the ceremony to take some last second getting ready/posed pics and stay for a few posed group and individual pictures after is all you truly NEED... 

• Options
    redwoodoriginal said:

If you find a way pay all the vendors, then for the shower invites issue- the invites have been sent out, so just call, text or email or fb message everyone and say I just want to let you know this is a bridal shower, since I saw the invites didn't mention that. 
    Under no circumstance should the OP contact the invitees and inform them it is a bridal shower. That it's totally inappropriate and rude. To do that would be calling up to solicit gifts...in case you didn't know, it's my shower so bring me something! Do not do this, op.

I vote - Just cancel the shower, wedding and elope.

To clarify, I meant "you" should inform them it's a shower as the host informs the invitees. I think it would be rude to the invitees if they showed up and felt awful that was a shower and they didn't get the memo. Id feel embarrassed as a guest and would have preferred clarification from a text or email from the host. Not the OP herself. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    redwoodoriginal said:

If you find a way pay all the vendors, then for the shower invites issue- the invites have been sent out, so just call, text or email or fb message everyone and say I just want to let you know this is a bridal shower, since I saw the invites didn't mention that. 
    Under no circumstance should the OP contact the invitees and inform them it is a bridal shower. That it's totally inappropriate and rude. To do that would be calling up to solicit gifts...in case you didn't know, it's my shower so bring me something! Do not do this, op.

I vote - Just cancel the shower, wedding and elope.
    True, I didn't think about that. However, I do think this is something the host should do. 
  • Options
    Planning a wedding:

1.  Determine how much money you will have to spend.  Oops!  You didn't do this.
    2.  Make up your guest list.
    3.  Now you can shop for venues, based on the two above items, but since you don't have a budget, you can't do this.

It sounds to me that you real problem is that you had a wedding vision, but you don't have enough money to pay for it, and now you are blaming it on other people.  You don't want to let go of your wedding vision.
    If you haven't sent out the invitations, yet, it should be easy to cancel your wedding and make new plans.  How many people got STD's?  If you sent them, then you must plan an entirely new wedding on a different date if you are going to cut your guest list.
    Eloping is one option, but there are several others.  An afternoon wedding with cake and punch is very traditional.
    Showers are relatively unimportant.  Many brides do not have them at all because no one volunteers to host them.  Many people, who are traditional (like me), think the MOB should never host a shower for her own daughter.  Nevertheless, the host plans the shower and sends out the invitations.  This is not your business.  You are the guest of honor, not the host.  Let your Mom deal with the problem.
    Determine what is in your control and stick to that.  You don't need a lot of bridesmaids - or any - to get married.  You don't need a big wedding to get married.  You don't need a bridal shower.  You need a license, a partner/fiance, an officiant,  and witnesses.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards