Chit Chat

The Knot Dream Wedding

https://www.theknot.com/dream-wedding?utm_source=keywee&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DreamWedding&kwp_0=143958&kwp_4=629688&kwp_1=325204

So, for those who don't want to click on the link, The Knot is throwing a Dream Wedding (a la The Today Show wedding).  People can vote on each aspect of the wedding and come day of, that's what the couple wears/carries etc and everything is provided for them.

This year, TK chose Devon Still and his fiance.  Devon is an NFL linebacker whose daughter battled and survived cancer.  Leah's story is beautiful and she seems to be such a strong spirit, but I can't help but think of all of the non rich and famous couples out there, going through the same thing and truly not being able to afford the type of day they'd like to have.

I do like that they are raising money for Pediatric Cancer, but I still am bothered the TK's couple choice.   Am I alone?

Re: The Knot Dream Wedding

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I agree with you. Their personal story and charity part is awesome- but it looks like it is TK members (or the general public) donating, not TK itself.

Nothing personal against Devon Still- all the best to him and his family! But I agree, why not find a couple who does not have the monetary funds to throw the wedding they desire. They could still raise money for Pediatric Cancer (or is it that they are expecting Devon Still's guests to donate as well??).
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    His team only kept him on to pay for his daughters medical expenses. He was originally cut from the Bengals in 2014. I get what you're saying but it's not like they are paying for Tom Brady or one of the Manning brother's weddings, this guy is famous but not so much "rich".
    ETA: Tom not Tim

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    lnixon8 said:
    His team only kept him on to pay for his daughters medical expenses. He was originally cut from the Bengals in 2014. I get what you're saying but it's not like they are paying for Tom Brady or one of the Manning brother's weddings, this guy is famous but not so much "rich".

True, although league minimum for a rookie is $450K, and for someone with 2-3 years its $600K+ so it isn't like this is chump change. Futures contracts (which is what Still signed with Texas earlier this year) are in line with these figures.

Practice squad players, which I believe he may have been when the Bengals re-signed him for the insurance, make around $100K for the season at a minimum.

• lnixon8 said:
    I googled his salary because I knew most of his notoriety was due to his daughter, just to be sure, before I posted this. His 2015 contract was for 740k and his 2016 is for 675k. 
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Okay wow. I take it back! 

• cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Eh..I bet TK will get more publicity for doing the wedding for him, then they would a "random" person with an equally sad story. It will get picked up by the sports world too. 

So, I think it was a buisness move for them, nothing more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards