Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Selfie Station

Has anyone been to a wedding where they had a selfie station, instead of a photo booth? I am considering this idea, but wonder how previous couples did it and how it went over with guests. I am thinking all the props of a photo booth, but should I provide a selfie stick or just have people take their own selfies?

Re: Selfie Station

• Options
    I haven't been to a wedding that had this, but I wouldn't see it as too different than a photobooth. It could definitely be fun! If you provide a selfie stick it gives guests an option for a normal selfie or an all-out stick selfie. I'd say go for that option if you do the selfie station and let guests decide.

The only benefit I could see a photobooth having is the printable photos. The photobooth my venue automatically provides prints out one for the guest to take and another for the bride and groom to have as a keepsake.

Maybe you could do a wedding hashtag for people to post it online?
  • Options
    Sort of! I attended two weddings this year that had a photo booth but I never saw the photographer manning it. I know there was one for part of the time because I saw the photos but the majority of the time people were either taking selfies or taking photos for each other with their phones. It really deterred me from having a photo booth, those that took the selfies could post them immediately so once the professional ones were posted it was old news. I think a selfie station and throwing a selfie stick in along with a props is a good (and economical) idea! 
  • Options
    We are definitely doing a wedding hashtag, but we don't have room in the budget for a photo booth. So that is how I thought of doing a mini one and maybe making a backdrop. 
  • Options
    My initial reaction? Blugh!
    Photo booths are fun. You don't have to work for your photo. Having a selfie stick or just a station set aside for selfies just... makes me cringe. 

• Options
    I really want honest opinions Thanks! I go back and forth because I honestly hate selfie sticks, but I don't mind a selfie.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I am unabashedly a fan of selfie sticks, my mom brought one to my wedding and we had a lot of fun playing with it, I brought one on my honeymoon and we got some great shots of us on the boat before we left the pier.

I used to think they were so dumb and a waste of money but after using one they're so simple and you can have a lot of fun with them. If I went to a wedding with a selfie station my husband/friends and I would have a blast, way more than a photobooth.
  • Options
    IMO selfies themselves are so dumb. Selfie sticks are obnoxious. And, to be totally honest, I think people who are inclined to take them will do so without a 'station' for it and the people who would not still won't even with it.
  • Options
    Someone set up something like this at my family reunion last year  We had some fun dressing up and taking pics of each other  The person who set it up also set up one of those photo sharing apps so people could join the event and upload the photos they took to share with everyone  Honestly, I'm not a fan of selfie sticks in everyday life but in this situation i would probably use it.
  • Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It's 2016. People are going to take selfies without a station, other people will roll their eyes at them and possibly the station. I would scrape this idea, it will be one less thing to worry about (where to put it, how to label it, props etc.)

• Options
    Definitely valid points Thank you guys!
  • Options
    People are going to take selfies, sure, but not with necessarily silly ones with props. I think a lot of your guests will think this is fun and cute - similar to how they think of a photobooth. Not everyone loves photobooths. Personally - I do so I think this is a great budget friendly substitute.

I also think that this is one of those ideas that hurts no one. So if someone's not into it, they don't use it, but it's not like it's offensive or rude.

If you think your crowd would be into this (mine would), then go for it.
  • Options
    I would find this so odd at a wedding. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like photo-booths, but I'm not a selfie person. Mostly because I can't take a good selfie of myself- the photo comes out unflattering, thus I'd never do this at a wedding for the B&G to see later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards