Chit Chat

Hashtag Help

edited May 2016 in Chit Chat
My fiancé and I got engaged in December and after asking around I decided for our hashtag to be #mcmahonandwife with the year. 

Last week my FI's brother proposed and already my future SIL snagged it :(

I've had a lot of trouble coming up with a fun hashtag. My name is Crabbs and his is McMahon. Help me!

Re: Hashtag Help

• How dare she?????
  • What exactly was so "fun" about the one she stole, by the way?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • That is brilliant, @JaxInBlue
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I would bet money the one that @JaxInBlue suggested is open.....
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I would bet money the one that @JaxInBlue suggested is open.....
  • I will never for the life of me understand why everyone is such a stick in the mud about this. What's wrong with a goofy hashtag?

Also the OP's question wasn't "My FSIL stole my hash tag what a bitch how do I confront her about it" it was, "help me think of something new".

Unfortunately I can't think of anything, this really isn't my strong suit. I do appreciate a funny hashtag though. Good luck OP!
  • AddieCake said:
    What exactly was so "fun" about the one she stole, by the way?
    Mc-Man and Wife. I think it's clever. 

But, hashtags have to be unique enough to link to only your wedding, and easy enough to remember so guests can actually use it. Clever is only by luck. #CrabbeMcMahon2017 is totally acceptable and has a better ring to it than McMahonCrabbe2017, I think. 

• I will never for the life of me understand why everyone is such a stick in the mud about this. What's wrong with a goofy hashtag?

Also the OP's question wasn't "My FSIL stole my hash tag what a bitch how do I confront her about it" it was, "help me think of something new".

Unfortunately I can't think of anything, this really isn't my strong suit. I do appreciate a funny hashtag though. Good luck OP!
    @KahluaKoala - for me personally, goofy is fine, as long as it's fairly easy to convey to your guests.  For example, if the married couples' last name is going to be Belz, I'd probably be able to remember TheWeddingBelz2016.  But going for goofy when it's not there is harder - guests have to remember unique spellings or plays on words and it's not always second nature.  So then instead of one fairly easy to find hashtag, you've got five or six similarish hashtags, which kind of defeats the point.  I'd rather tag my pictures with TheNewSmiths2017 and know you've seen my memories of your event.
    Anniversary

• OT but I saw on facebook the other day that a friend from college has started his own business. He creates custom hashtags for 'people's special days.' (His words there). Not going to link because I am not a vendor...
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    AddieCake said:

I did not catch that at all. I just saw "last name and wife", oops
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I will never for the life of me understand why everyone is such a stick in the mud about this. What's wrong with a goofy hashtag?

my opinion on that is more along the lines of people who have never interacted in the community before coming in to ask for punny hashtags and having no other interaction with the PPs. If you want to crowd source ask your fb friends who actually know you and might have more insight that would lead to the kind of hashtag you want.
  • #McWedding2017
    #McCrabbsWedding
    #CrabbyMcMahons

I have a last name that is quite easy to dirty up but FI ruined my dream of having a funny newspaper announcement so our hashtag is going to be less fun than I would have hoped. 

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    #hashtag
    ahahahahahhahahaha, I crack myself up.

k thnx bye

• Question: How does one "snag" a hashtag? It's not like a domain name you have to register... How does one lay claim to a hashtag?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Question: How does one "snag" a hashtag? It's not like a domain name you have to register... How does one lay claim to a hashtag?
    Not sure if this meant to be tongue in cheek or not, but just in case:

For us, we want to use it to help collect photos taken that day, so we wanted to find a hashtag that other people were least likely to use.  I use hashtags all the time on Instagram, as do a lot of our friends, so for us it just made sense.

In this case, since the guest list will likely share a lot of the same guests, if both couples used the same hashtag, when looking through the photos, they'd have to figure out if it was their wedding or SIL's so I think OP was just going to let SIL have it rather than create a ridiculous stink over something ridiculous.
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    Question: How does one "snag" a hashtag? It's not like a domain name you have to register... How does one lay claim to a hashtag?

For us, we want to use it to help collect photos taken that day, so we wanted to find a hashtag that other people were least likely to use.  I use hashtags all the time on Instagram, as do a lot of our friends, so for us it just made sense.

In this case, since the guest list will likely share a lot of the same guests, if both couples used the same hashtag, when looking through the photos, they'd have to figure out if it was their wedding or SIL's so I think OP was just going to let SIL have it rather than create a ridiculous stink over something ridiculous.
    I was being snarky. There is not a way to lay claim to a hashtag other than using it... So if OP decided to use the hashtag, but did not actually begin using it, then it was not really hers to begin with. If that makes sense.

OP, I do agree with @AtomicBlonde that there are a ton of ways to incorporate McMahon into a hashtag while still being clever... #NextMcMahonUp #2017McMahonAndWife and I do enjoy #McMahonCaughtCrabbs

ETA: Who is getting married first? Because most hashtag usage will happen on the day of the wedding, if you're getting married first, there really isn't anything stopping you from using it. Except possibly the wrath of FI's brother and his fiance.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    AddieCake said:

I did not catch that at all. I just saw "last name and wife", oops
    I didn't either. 
  • edited May 2016
    Yeah it's pronounced "McMan" :) quite the upgrade from Crabbs. 
  • kvruns said:
    I will never for the life of me understand why everyone is such a stick in the mud about this. What's wrong with a goofy hashtag?

my opinion on that is more along the lines of people who have never interacted in the community before coming in to ask for punny hashtags and having no other interaction with the PPs. If you want to crowd source ask your fb friends who actually know you and might have more insight that would lead to the kind of hashtag you want.
    Boooo. I've been active on this site for a while. Just haven't had much input to put on people's posts since I just got engaged!!

I was being snarky. There is not a way to lay claim to a hashtag other than using it... So if OP decided to use the hashtag, but did not actually begin using it, then it was not really hers to begin with. If that makes sense.

OP, I do agree with @AtomicBlonde that there are a ton of ways to incorporate McMahon into a hashtag while still being clever... #NextMcMahonUp #2017McMahonAndWife and I do enjoy #McMahonCaughtCrabbs

ETA: Who is getting married first? Because most hashtag usage will happen on the day of the wedding, if you're getting married first, there really isn't anything stopping you from using it. Except possibly the wrath of FI's brother and his fiance.
    @madamerwin ... Much to my future SIL's dismay I am getting married first - actually I inadvertently picked her original wedding date that she wanted before she was even engaged. Commence bride wars. 

I do love #nextmcmahonup too. That's fun!!!

@madamerwin ... Much to my future SIL's dismay I am getting married first - actually I inadvertently picked her original wedding date that she wanted before she was even engaged. Commence bride wars. 

• #McMahonUp

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

Did she know you planned to use #McMahonandWife? Is it possible that she was so upset you "stole" her wedding date that she decided to steal your hashtag? If so, tread lightly... I mean, you really could just use the original hashtag since your wedding is first, and then you will have established ownership, so to speak. But if she is really upset you might be "stealing her thunder" then using another hashtag could save you a headache.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards