Wedding Woes

"Hubby" Makes Me Ragey.

So we're closing on the house today (yay! I hope..) the mortgage is in my name because his students loans aren't fully consolidated. Anyways he has to sign to release me from the dower interest (which also makes me ragey), but the super annoying thing? The Escrow officer flagged where I have to sign and where he has to sign and the post-its all say "Hubby signs here". Are you freaking kidding me?!

Re: "Hubby" Makes Me Ragey.

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2016
    That is super unprofessional.  Why not just use his first name or 'Mr. Charlotte989875 sign here'? 
  • Yea - that's a professionalism issue that'd make me a bit ragey too...  Even though I often refer to DH as "Hubby" term of endearment, there's a time and a place, signing paperwork for hundreds of thousands of dollars - they can write his first name out - or use "Blue post-its" for "YH signs here", basic business professionalism...
  • I'm guessing your post-its don't say "Wifey."  

Does "dower interest" imply what I think it does?  I'm almost afraid to Google it...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• He's just looking out for your dainty lady fingers because he doesn't want you doing any extra signing that the Old Man could take care of. <sarcasmfont>

Does "dower interest" imply what I think it does?  I'm almost afraid to Google it...
    Shockingly enough they just have my first name.

And yes, in Ohio a husband has rights to 1/3 of a property asset, even if he is not on the purchase. So he has to "release me" from this, essentially signing away his legal claim to the house that I am purchasing.

(For the record, he's getting added to the title of the property and we share everything equally, it just made more financial sense to only use my income and loans than his.)
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Yea - that's a professionalism issue that'd make me a bit ragey too...  Even though I often refer to DH as "Hubby" term of endearment, there's a time and a place, signing paperwork for hundreds of thousands of dollars - they can write his first name out - or use "Blue post-its" for "YH signs here", basic business professionalism...
    It's definitely the professionalism thing that makes my blood boil. Terms of endearment between spouses is great, but seriously for them to assume this was OK to use on professional documents is ridiculous.

And his first name has five letter, it literally took her more effort to write out "Hubby" multiple times, than it did his first name.
  • That's really gross!
    Good luck today!

Even though I bought my condo before I even met my husband, as did he, after we got married and each sold our places we each had to sign release documents. Neither of us had put each other on the deed or anything; just something to do with marriage law in our state. I didn't ask questions; just one more document in a very large stack as far as I was concerned. 

You know what was really fun? DH was on a business trip on our closing day, so I had power of attorney. I had to sign everything with my full name and "HisFullName by MyFullName as attorney in fact."  I can barely spell his full name much less write it a million times.  

• That's really gross!
    Good luck today!

Even though I bought my condo before I even met my husband, as did he, after we got married and each sold our places we each had to sign release documents. Neither of us had put each other on the deed or anything; just something to do with marriage law in our state. I didn't ask questions; just one more document in a very large stack as far as I was concerned. 

You know what was really fun? DH was on a business trip on our closing day, so I had power of attorney. I had to sign everything with my full name and "HisFullName by MyFullName as attorney in fact."  I can barely spell his full name much less write it a million times.  
    I had to do that when we first moved down here, because DH was still up in Chicago and couldn't make it for the closing.  Worst hand cramp ever!
  • Heffalump said:
    That's really gross!
    Good luck today!

I had to do that when we first moved down here, because DH was still up in Chicago and couldn't make it for the closing.  Worst hand cramp ever!
    Our first house was in my name only (I signed the contract to build and met DH a week later)..I even refinanced it in my name and I still had to have DH sign a release because he couldn't make the closing for that house. 

And yes, in Ohio a husband has rights to 1/3 of a property asset, even if he is not on the purchase. So he has to "release me" from this, essentially signing away his legal claim to the house that I am purchasing.

(For the record, he's getting added to the title of the property and we share everything equally, it just made more financial sense to only use my income and loans than his.)
    Wait, what? I'm in Ohio and had no idea!
  • edited May 2016
    I'm guessing your post-its don't say "Wifey."  

Yup. Read up on dower interest in Ohio. 

Well besides too many "hubby" postits, we closed with no problems. We're officially homeowners!
    I just did a search and read the Ohio Revised Code section on dower interest. It reads like it applies regardless of the gender of the spouses, but I could be mistaken.

The condensed version: http://www.laribee-hertrick.com/literature/are-dower-rights

Congratulations!

Well besides too many "hubby" postits, we closed with no problems. We're officially homeowners!
    I just did a search and read the Ohio Revised Code section on dower interest. It reads like it applies regardless of the gender of the spouses, but I could be mistaken.

The condensed version: http://www.laribee-hertrick.com/literature/are-dower-rights

Congratulations!

Most places have a similar clause. Designed to protect the spouse not on title. Does end up becoming a pain with extra paperwork. Not sure if it is worth doing the extra paperwork as soon as getting married/wanting to share the property title or just when one sells the property.
  • ernursej said:
    I'm guessing your post-its don't say "Wifey."  

Congratulations!

Most places have a similar clause. Designed to protect the spouse not on title. Does end up becoming a pain with extra paperwork. Not sure if it is worth doing the extra paperwork as soon as getting married/wanting to share the property title or just when one sells the property.
    Congrats Charlotte!
    That link is kind of funny, notice the part about adultery? Don't cheat folks or else you may lose property rights! 

• Well besides too many "hubby" postits, we closed with no problems. We're officially homeowners!
    Congratulations!!!! I know I'm late but I hope all the stress and anxiety was worth it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone! Totally worth it I love this house. Can't wait to move. Well not move but actually be in the house. We're moving on Sunday, which is our first anniversary!

https67mediatumblrcom124e568153c1cc14102ccda38952c319tumblr_mzbjxcIQOr1qjxgzio1_500gif

• You know what was really fun? DH was on a business trip on our closing day, so I had power of attorney. I had to sign everything with my full name and "HisFullName by MyFullName as attorney in fact."  I can barely spell his full name much less write it a million times.  
    I closed on our house in TX about 3 weeks before DK and I moved here, so I had to do that too. I went through 2 pens and it took more than 3 hours. My realtor said it's the longest closing she's ever attended - and she's been a realtor for 40+ years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards