Wedding Reception Forum

Games and Traditions?

We are having an evening ceremony/ reception so we will not be serving a formal plated meal (there will be plenty of food available throughout the evening though!!). Because of this we won't have the typical kissing games during dinner.

Also, in our group of family and friends there is only a few single people, so we have decided to nix the bouquet and garter toss portion of the evening (I find that it's awkward even when there are a ton of singles!!)

We are trying to think of silly little games we could play throughout the night AND/OR a few less traditional "traditions" we could do in place of the bouquet/garter tosses. The party portion of our evening isn't even starting until 9:30ish and we are doing the cake cutting around 10:30, so we don't want to cut the dance up too much, but we also don't want people to get bored/ tired of dancing...

Any suggestions of games or other things we could do in place of the traditional wedding things?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Games and Traditions?

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We are having an evening ceremony/ reception so we will not be serving a formal plated meal (there will be plenty of food available throughout the evening though!!). Because of this we won't have the typical kissing games during dinner.

Also, in our group of family and friends there is only a few single people, so we have decided to nix the bouquet and garter toss portion of the evening (I find that it's awkward even when there are a ton of singles!!)

We are trying to think of silly little games we could play throughout the night AND/OR a few less traditional "traditions" we could do in place of the bouquet/garter tosses. The party portion of our evening isn't even starting until 9:30ish and we are doing the cake cutting around 10:30, so we don't want to cut the dance up too much, but we also don't want people to get bored/ tired of dancing...

Any suggestions of games or other things we could do in place of the traditional wedding things?

what are kissing games?  You can nix the garter/bouquet toss and not replace it with anything. I've never been to a wedding with games during it and I'm not sure I can even think of something I'd want to see/do.

Then again I'm old and if the reception doesn't even start til 930 I'll barely make it to cake time so I might get cranky if silly game push back my ability to have cake

• We are having an evening ceremony/ reception so we will not be serving a formal plated meal (there will be plenty of food available throughout the evening though!!). Because of this we won't have the typical kissing games during dinner.

What does that mean?

• How long is your reception?  You definitely don't need any distractions for people with just an hour of dancing (are they going to dance again after the cake is cut?  Or is that the end of the night?).  We didn't have a bouquet/garter toss.  People who wanted to dance, danced; people who didn't want to dance chatted at their tables and enjoyed their drinks.  You're overthinking things.
  • I'm in the no games category. I never heard of having games at a wedding reception until I came to TK. Adults know how to socialize and have fun without games.
  • We didn't do a bouquet/garter toss. We also didn't do a cake cutting. I didn't fill any time in with games. People ate and drank and danced. I don't think games are necessary. 
  • jacques27 said:
    If they get bored of dancing, they can socialize and drink.  Most adults don't need games to amuse themselves at parties.  Adults know how to amuse themselves.  Dancing and socializing is enough.  No one needs a replacement for the bouquet or garter toss to keep themselves amused.

Also not sure what you mean by kissing games.  You mean that thing where people tap their glasses or ring a bell to get the couple to kiss?  No one is going to miss that either, nor do they need a replacement for it.  In fact, most people I know get annoyed by that because it's loud and disruptive (and no one should ever feel forced to or have to be prompted to kiss).
    I'm wondering this too? If it is the tap their glasses thing then Idk if you can stop that really. It's just something that some people are going to do. DH's grandma kept clinking her glass so after a few times DH and I ran over and both kissed her on the cheek. I thought I'd be annoyed by it, but I was so happy that day I don't think anything would have annoyed me.

No one is going to wish there was a garter or bouquet toss so I'm with team don't replace it with games. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't understand the need to fill time and create "fun" with games at wedding receptions. They are completely unnecessary, and many people (probably most people) cringe at the prospect. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

You don't need to do anything in place of these "traditions" you want to skip.  The "silly little games" and untraditional "traditions" are no more entertaining to guests than bouquet or garter tosses are. (Or "kissing games" - whatever those are.  I don't think "kissing games" are typical of any weddings.)

There isn't any need to schedule every moment of a wedding reception so guests aren't "bored."
  • Thanks everyone for the replies, they're the exact answers I was hoping for!

I don't see the need to replace the traditional stuff with other stuff just for the sake of stuff, but I have parents and older traditional family members bugging me at least I can tell them the internet people have my back!!

Also, @Viczaesar we are doing what most call a "cocktail stye reception" so we'll have an after dinner ceremony and then we will be serving a heavy cocktail hour, gourmet platters throughout the party portion of the evening, and late night snack and dessert tables. We want to have more of a party than a traditional wedding :smile: 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @katsandtatts Can you expand on what kissing games you say are "typical" that you'll be skipping? Everyone's been asking and you skipped over the question in your response.

I don't see the need to replace the traditional stuff with other stuff just for the sake of stuff, but I have parents and older traditional family members bugging me at least I can tell them the internet people have my back!!

Also, @Viczaesar we are doing what most call a "cocktail stye reception" so we'll have an after dinner ceremony and then we will be serving a heavy cocktail hour, gourmet platters throughout the party portion of the evening, and late night snack and dessert tables. We want to have more of a party than a traditional wedding :smile: 
    I have to say, I've been to one wedding that was exactly this and it's probably on my top-weddings ever list. It was really nice to go to a ceremony at 7pm that lasted about 15 minutes and directly into boozing and dancing. They had gourmet platters and a huge dessert spread. They didn't cut a cake or do bouquet or garter toss. Their spotlight dances were super quick (a minute of a song, literally) and they had a couple sweet toasts but that was it. 
    Unsolicited advice- even with cocktail style, please have enough seating. My only complaint about that wedding, as awesome as it was, was almost never having a seat. The older guests stuck to the chairs. Luckily the weather was gorgeous and they were able to utilize the outdoor courtyard for the night and there were other chairs and benches out there. If not for the outdoor seating, standing all night would have sucked regardless of how much we wanted to dance. 

• @katsandtatts Can you expand on what kissing games you say are "typical" that you'll be skipping? Everyone's been asking and you skipped over the question in your response.
    I've been to quite a few weddings with kissing games that I am assuming are similar to the ones the OP is referring to. They are meant to replace clicking glasses to have the bride and groom kiss.
    One wedding, other couples would volunteer to "demonstrate" how to kiss (some people would just peck on the cheek, some more adventurous couples would do a dip and kiss, etc) and then the B&G would have to copy them. Another wedding I went to recently had dice on every table. Some of the numbers meant the B&G had to kiss but the rest correlated with something else (I remember one table had to sing a song instead...). 

Ive never seen this, but have heard of it. If you want to be super tacky about it, there's a container for money that people contribute to in order for the couple to kiss....

Im sure there's plenty of other types of kissing games, but I'm assuming this idea is what the OP meant. 

What I was actually curious about was the statement that "We are having an evening ceremony/ reception so we will not be serving a formal plated meal."  The 'so' there didn't make sense - most weddings have evening ceremonies and receptions.  I see now that you meant that you will be having a late evening ceremony, after dinner time.  What time are you starting?

• Ironring said:
    @katsandtatts Can you expand on what kissing games you say are "typical" that you'll be skipping? Everyone's been asking and you skipped over the question in your response.
    I've been to quite a few weddings with kissing games that I am assuming are similar to the ones the OP is referring to. They are meant to replace clicking glasses to have the bride and groom kiss.
    One wedding, other couples would volunteer to "demonstrate" how to kiss (some people would just peck on the cheek, some more adventurous couples would do a dip and kiss, etc) and then the B&G would have to copy them. Another wedding I went to recently had dice on every table. Some of the numbers meant the B&G had to kiss but the rest correlated with something else (I remember one table had to sing a song instead...). 

Ive never seen this, but have heard of it. If you want to be super tacky about it, there's a container for money that people contribute to in order for the couple to kiss....

Im sure there's plenty of other types of kissing games, but I'm assuming this idea is what the OP meant. 
    Awesome, thanks. I just was so confused (and it seemed that others were too) since I've never seen anything close to what you posted (though I've heard them suggested occasionally when talking about clinking the glasses). I just wasn't sure who was playing what games and what the end was. Makes sense.
  • @InLoveInQueens, I find it interesting that many people on here haven't heard of them. Every wedding I've gone to, the wedding party had heard of various kissing games. If it's just the traditional clinking of glasses, it means that the B&G specifically chose that over other kissing games (vs that being the only option). Must be a regional/crowd thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards