Wedding Woes
Options

Venue

edited May 2016 in Wedding Woes
My fiance and I are looking for a wedding/reception venue for 225-250 people. I would prefer to get married at a church, but the church I attend is just not big enough. I have called all the churches in the area I can think of and that showed up on google. I have stopped by and visited all the churches I come across on the drive to work, etc. I have not been able to find anything and I'm a little desperate, because you have to use either their pastor or be a member. Does anyone have any ideas? 

At this point, it doesn't have to even be a church. I already have a caterer. I just need a building with space for the wedding and reception. 

Re: Venue

• Options

We have nowhere of knowing where you are looking for, based on your post.  This is an international board as well.  Try looking at your local board for help.

Could you just use your pastor at a reception venue?  Then you can stop looking for churches and just start trying to find a reception venue that can also double as your ceremony space.

I'm surprised you have a caterer already when you don't even have a reception venue.  Are preferred caterers not a thing in your area?  Many venues in my area have a list of preferred caterers and can't hire anyone off those lists.

• Options
    In our area, this type of wedding/reception would be held in a legion hall, town hall, park pavillion, fair grounds, etc.  You must have those types of places in your area as well.
  • Options

A hotel? A park? A regular wedding venue?

That's about all I've got.

• Options

Knottie#'s...  If you post this to your local boards (upper right-hand corner you'll see a drop-down that says "Wedding Boards" - scroll down to "Local Boards" and click "go")...  you should get many suggestions there as they're more familiar with your area.  The reality though is this - you have a home church, a place that you experience/feel the presence of God in your own unique way and why you're wanting to get married in a church.  How much of a difference in size are you talking here?

The first step should be to ask your pastor if they know of any churches in the area where they can perform the ceremony yet are large enough to accommodate the number of guests you're expecting.  IMO, if indeed your church is too small, have your ceremony privately at the church you attend and limit it to your/FI's parents, siblings, and VIP's (Grandma/Grandpa, Godparents, WP) and then invite everyone to the reception.  While I'm NAF of this tiered approach by all measures, I'm even less of a fan of "Church shopping", and if your church only holds 80 with no "Overflow Room", people will understand if you're upfront about this (and it's not a possibility to have the ceremony at your reception venue or local park using your Pastor/Priest/Reverend/etc.). 

• Options
    I hear the new thing is getting married in a shed by the creek. You could do that.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    I hear the new thing is getting married in a shed by the creek. You could do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards