Chit Chat

Dry Shampoo Win!

I got a large sample in my ipsy last month called living proof and it is awesome! I'm blonde so I usually think I can get away with cornstarch...but then its embarrassing when H tells me I have white roots/patches on the crown of my head. Plus it smells like you walked out of a salon! 

Re: Dry Shampoo Win!

• I love Living Proof!  I have almost black hair and the gray still blends in well when I shake it out.  

My other (cheapie) brand is Batiste, it's the only one whose brown color doesn't stay on my fingers.
  • edited May 2016
    ETA:  just noticed this was a duplicate post
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Dry shampoo changed my life. I've never used Living Proof but I love Batiste! The trick for me is to not hold the bottle too close to my head when I spray it to avoid the too-light look. I have dark brown hair and use their tinted versions. 
  • I use the cheapo target one called "Not your mother's.." it's like 4.00 a can. I'm blonde but I have brunette friends I've introduced it to and they love it too.
  • I just bought pantenes dry shampoo and it's awful :( my hair is always greasier after I use it 
    maybe I'll try out these ones! 
  • SP29SP29 member
    Good to know!

I need to get some. I usually wash my hair every 2 days, as otherwise my roots get quite oily, but I'd like to be able to push that out another day or two, as the rest of my hair curls really nice and naturally with the oil.

For now, I use all purpose flour. It does the trick, but you do have to be careful not to put too much in, and it does leave behind a grainy/cakey residue.
  • lc07lc07 member
    SP29 said:
    Good to know!

I need to get some. I usually wash my hair every 2 days, as otherwise my roots get quite oily, but I'd like to be able to push that out another day or two, as the rest of my hair curls really nice and naturally with the oil.

For now, I use all purpose flour. It does the trick, but you do have to be careful not to put too much in, and it does leave behind a grainy/cakey residue.
    I'm excited for you to try it! It will give you volume at the roots too while keeping the good texture of "dirty" hair except it looks clean!
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I love the Dove brand. I'm so cheap, so it's awesome, and I'm blonde so it also works well! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also use the Not Your Mother's Clean Freak. It's a cheaper version that I get at Ulta or Target. I only wash my hair once a week and rely on this after day 5.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    I've tried dry shampoo twice and I just don't get it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. 
  • ElcaB said:
    I've tried dry shampoo twice and I just don't get it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. 
    It took me a while to really get used to it.  I think I was using too little until my hairdresser told me there was no such thing as too much.
  • I'm a dry shampoo novice.  What about gym goers? I go to the gym 3x a week and it's the first thing to get sweaty.  Does dry shampoo work for that, or is it a lost cause?

• I'm a dry shampoo novice.  What about gym goers? I go to the gym 3x a week and it's the first thing to get sweaty.  Does dry shampoo work for that, or is it a lost cause?
    I've wondered this myself. I work out 5X a week so wash my hair everyday I work out.
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I think it depends on the workout and the person. For me weights and elliptical are fixed with dry shampoo but spin class is a lost cause. I also sweat WAY more on my back then any other body part.

• lnixon8 said:
    I think it depends on the workout and the person. For me weights and elliptical are fixed with dry shampoo but spin class is a lost cause. I also sweat WAY more on my back then any other body part.
    Good to know - I spin 3x a week  and my hair is always wet, much worse than weights and elliptical/treadmill.

• lnixon8 said:
    I have super fine hair and have to wash after heavy sweats, but my best friend who has thick, curly hair dry shampooed her way out of a 90 degree beach day, ocean swimming included. 
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Thanks for the tip! I'm in love with LUSH's No Drought, but shipping is expensive and we live much closer to an Ulta that stocks Living Proof.
  • SP29SP29 member
    Just wanted to update on this...

I got some dry shampoo! I ended up getting one by Dove (but I have since found the store also carries Bastiste).

I found there is a bit of a learning curve, as the product is wet when you first spray it in. Thus, the first time I used it, I thought my hair still looked greasy when it was only wet, so I sprayed a lot and then ended up with large white patches ;).

Since then I've used it more sparingly and it works great! Gets rid of the oil, adds volume (sometimes I use it on clean hair to get more volume!) and it smells great.
  • lc07lc07 member
    SP29 said:
    Just wanted to update on this...

I got some dry shampoo! I ended up getting one by Dove (but I have since found the store also carries Bastiste).

I found there is a bit of a learning curve, as the product is wet when you first spray it in. Thus, the first time I used it, I thought my hair still looked greasy when it was only wet, so I sprayed a lot and then ended up with large white patches ;).

Since then I've used it more sparingly and it works great! Gets rid of the oil, adds volume (sometimes I use it on clean hair to get more volume!) and it smells great.
    I use Batiste and I don't find it's very wet when I spray but I need to make sure I don't hold the bottle too close to my head when I spray or else the light patches happen even with the tinted spray. If you have darker colored hair I highly recommend the tinted sprays! I've also learned to spray a moderate amount and then let it sit for a minute or two before assessing if I need more or not. I feel like it takes a little while to absorb the existing oil. I love that you love it! And I use it on clean hair, too for volume! LOVE that aspect. And my boyfriend has commented a lot on how good it smells. I forgot about that.Yay for discovering dry shampoo!
  • I use tresemme fresh start volumizing dry shampoo. It works pretty well, I think. H really hates the smell though so I'm considering trying something else. 
    I'd wash my hair if I got so sweaty during a workout that my hair got damp and sweaty. 

Sweat is dirty and stinky, and it's not the same as the typical oil buildup at the roots each day.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards