Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invite question

I work part time as a nanny for a lovely family.  The youngest is one of my flower girls.  When we made the guest list their grandma wasn't living with them, but now she's been "visiting" them since January, and doesn't seem to have any plans of leaving.  My days are spent helping her navigate the local real estate websites, and answering weirdly specific housing questions which I invariably answer with, "I don't know, you need to ask a realtor."

I feel uncomfortable NOT including her, but FI is completely against it.  The reason being, in my shortsightedness of not anticipating her being with them for 7+ months, I've been complaining about her.  Nothing too bad, and mostly anecdotal.  Like the time she decided someone's shoes smelled in the front hall, proceeded to smell EVERYONE'S shoes (making a huge stink about it, proclaiming how it was making her nauseous), and then put the offending pair outside in the rain.  We butt heads because I'm laid back and she's pretty high strung.  She's nice to me, and I see her more often than the parents (I just leave when all the kids are sorted out, so I go months without seeing them), but I also feel like there's too many chefs in the kitchen.

At this point I feel weird and uncomfortable not inviting her.  FI suggested we just address the invitation as "Family Jones" instead of writing out everyone's names and see how they respond.

Hill to die on and push back on "no g-ma!" policy?
Don't invite her?
Total etiquette blunder and say "Family Jones"?

ALSO, totally off topic, but did anyone else feel awkward about touching base with some of their single guests to ask if there was anyone they were dating who should also be included on the invite?

Re: Invite question

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    include her since it seems like she's part of the family now and you regularly interact with her. You don't have to include her, but I'd do it if I planned on working with this family for a while. Most people have complained about someone who ended up at their wedding, it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options
    This was my instinct.  I think I'll try again when FI is in a better mood....

Or.... I just have their response cards sent to my parents address.........
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:
    This was my instinct.  I think I'll try again when FI is in a better mood....

Or.... I just have their response cards sent to my parents address.........
    I wouldn't try to side step this by sending the response card to your parents.  If she accepts, you're FI may find out for the first time at the wedding and be upset.  Talk this out with him now and let him know why you're inviting her. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I know.  He's just stubborn about weird things sometimes.  I'll revisit the conversation when I have the energy.
  • Options
    He's just hell bent on me addressing it "Family Jones" and doesn't care if it's against etiquette.
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:
    He's just hell bent on me addressing it "Family Jones" and doesn't care if it's against etiquette.
    Then you have to be the one to practice good etiquette and model it for him. It sucks to be the bigger person.

Slightly O/T, but there may be a reason why Grandma is acting the way she is. She may just not be able to help it for one reason or another. Tell your FI this and that he can deal for a day.
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:
    Then you have to be the one to practice good etiquette and model it for him. It sucks to be the bigger person.

Slightly O/T, but there may be a reason why Grandma is acting the way she is. She may just not be able to help it for one reason or another. Tell your FI this and that he can deal for a day.
    Be the bigger person how, exactly?

Grandma is from an Asian culture, and the kids are definitely not being raised with the strictness she would like.  There's some language barrier, as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    What I meant was that you follow etiquette in addressing the invitation and invite Grandma (or not, but that's your decision first).

ETA: Your explanation makes a lot of sense. 

ETA x 2: If I came across as too blunt, I apologize. 
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:
    It's not totally against etiquette, but it can easily be misinterpreted.  If you address the invite to Smith family and only intending to invite mom, dad, and 2 kids .... you may end up with an uncle (since he is a Smith).
  • Options
    I am both amused and irritated with the ferocity he wants this frickin envelope addressed.  I thought I made some solid arguments: this is my work life and it could make my days uncomfortable, I see her everyday, it could make them wonder why I'm excluding her.  I told him that we had talked at length how best to invite his colleagues, and he ultimately had had the final say (except SOs, because he didn't want to invite them).  We made decisions based on his work culture and took care not to offend anyone, and he ultimately had the final decision.

Then when I finished he just said that they're not going to care if the envelope is addressed to their family, and if they have questions then they'll ask.  There's no such thing about etiquette rules, he said, no ones going to notice or care.  And then I laughed because I realized he didn't even respond *in the slightest* to grandma actually being invited.

@OurWildKingdom no, you weren't too blunt, I just genuinely didn't know what being the bigger person meant in this circumstance.

@MyNameisNot he said if they assume she can come and RSVP for her, then that's fine, and if they tell me she's coming (or indicate she'd *like* to come then that's also fine.). He's hoping they have "the good sense to know she's not part of my 'work family'".

Honestly, if they just ask then I'll them them it includes everyone, because I won't give the impression she's not wanted.  Maybe she won't even be here, she sometimes leaves for weeks at a time to NYC.

At this point if this isn't a hill to die on then I'm not going to go behind his back and address the invites properly.  I could put "Jones-Smith" Household (mom doesn't have the same last name) to indicate a little better that it doesn't just mean every Smith under the sun.  I have met the paternal grandparents as well, and see them occasionally, so I don't want it misconstrued.
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:
    I am both amused and irritated with the ferocity he wants this frickin envelope addressed.  I thought I made some solid arguments: this is my work life and it could make my days uncomfortable, I see her everyday, it could make them wonder why I'm excluding her.  I told him that we had talked at length how best to invite his colleagues, and he ultimately had had the final say (except SOs, because he didn't want to invite them).  We made decisions based on his work culture and took care not to offend anyone, and he ultimately had the final decision.

Then when I finished he just said that they're not going to care if the envelope is addressed to their family, and if they have questions then they'll ask.  There's no such thing about etiquette rules, he said, no ones going to notice or care.  And then I laughed because I realized he didn't even respond *in the slightest* to grandma actually being invited.

@OurWildKingdom no, you weren't too blunt, I just genuinely didn't know what being the bigger person meant in this circumstance.

@MyNameisNot he said if they assume she can come and RSVP for her, then that's fine, and if they tell me she's coming (or indicate she'd *like* to come then that's also fine.). He's hoping they have "the good sense to know she's not part of my 'work family'".

Honestly, if they just ask then I'll them them it includes everyone, because I won't give the impression she's not wanted.  Maybe she won't even be here, she sometimes leaves for weeks at a time to NYC.

At this point if this isn't a hill to die on then I'm not going to go behind his back and address the invites properly.  I could put "Jones-Smith" Household (mom doesn't have the same last name) to indicate a little better that it doesn't just mean every Smith under the sun.  I have met the paternal grandparents as well, and see them occasionally, so I don't want it misconstrued.
    The bolded is why you put the specific names on the invite. I would stick to my guns about inviting Grandma by name if that is what you want to do.
  • Options
    Are you also saying that you're not inviting SOs of coworkers?   Your FI isn't coming off as all that fabulous right now. 
  • Options
    Spoonsey said:

I certainly would not list the Smith household if the mother is not a Smith. That's not her name and it is extremely rude. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @banana468 we are inviting all SOs at my insistence.  We're getting married in FI's country and he was certain that SOs don't need an invite per his cultural etiquette -- I found evidence online to (weakly) support this assertion, but I told him the more the merrier, and he dropped it.

@STARMOON44 Jones Smith household, as in dad is Jones and mom is Smith.

@ILoveBeachMusic yeah, I feel pretty stuck at the moment.  FI isn't budging, and I just don't know if it's worth it to keep arguing.  
  • Options
    Yeah, he is sounding that way, I know.  This isn't the norm, which is partly why I'm so lost.

Anyways, I told him I wasn't going to send an ambiguous invite.  That whatever we send will indicate exactly who is invited.  If I think it's absolutely necessary for her to come, then she'll be sent her own invitation, and I didn't want to discuss it anymore.

Now just to clear my head and take a few days from this ridiculousness. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards