Wedding Reception Forum

Sort of NWR - planning an open house event

Starting to think about planning a celebration party, partially for our wedding and partially for H's recovery. We are thinking early October. Same general idea - at home, casual, outdoors, bonfire. 

With so many people getting more closely involved in our lives due to the accident, we'd like to expand the guest list from 92 to roughly 140 or so. Since the event will not be formal or have any "official" events like a wedding reception we are thinking it will be best to do open house style.

My original contract for the tables/chairs and tent was for 100 people. Do you think if we host an open house event (for the guest list  # above) that runs from, say, 3pm to 10pm, we are cool to keep that number?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Sort of NWR - planning an open house event

• lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I think this depends on your crowd. If I was doing this I know some people would stay the entire time (because personally with your situation as a guest I would treat this as your wedding). Some of my work friends that lived an hour away from my venue left after dinner so you might have people that pop in at the beginning and leave early.

Have you ever thrown parties or bbq's before? When I do H's parents, sibs and SO's always come early(ier than I usually invite them) and dip out before almost anyone else comes. My parents come on time and stay late. 

• I'm so glad you guys are finally in a place to start planning something! 

I agree with @lnixon8 in that it's probably fine because all 140 wouldn't likely be there and sitting all at the same time, but it probably depends on your crowd. I know my close friends would stay the whole time, but my parents, work friends, etc would only pop in. 
  • We have hosted events in the past, but never more than 30 or so people so I'm a little out of my league (and I was pretty much out of my league the whole time we were wedding planning... lol... if I could start over I'd go with a venue, not a backyard wedding!). The biggest event was our housewarming and folks definitely came and went. 

I think our core group would stay pretty much the whole time - so my siblings, parents, and several of my friends. I think the others would come and go. My dad's aunts would likely come earlier on and leave earlier, same with H's parents and cousins. H's friends would likely be more interested in the bonfire aspect of things so would probably come later.

I'll think on it some more. I emailed the vendor rep this morning to see what she thinks. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm so glad you guys are finally in a place to start planning something! 

Me too!!!!!
  • My FMIL hosted an open house for my FBIL's graduation a few years ago. There were roughly 200 guests invited. She had tables and chairs available for about half that and I remember seeing lots of open chairs the entire night as I don't think there was more than half the guests at any one point. Especially if it is an open house, I think you are fine with having fewer chairs/tables.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards