Wedding Reception Forum

First dance surprise mash up ideas?

Hi! We're looking to "wow" our guests with a fun routine of a mashup of songs for our first dance. To anyone who has done this, have you choreographed these routines yourself or hired a choreographer to give you some ideas?

Re: First dance surprise mash up ideas?

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    I agree that unless you have dance training- hire a choreographer/ instructor!

We took group and private dance lessons prior to our wedding and did the foxtrot for our first dance. It wasn't highly choreographed, but in our private lessons the instructor helped us work out the timing of start and finish and taught us a variety of moves and how to piece them together to make a smooth dance. It wasn't overly expensive either. Because we had been doing group lessons anyway, we only did about 2 private lessons then practiced on our own.

Dance studios commonly have couples in for dance lessons for their wedding, so this wouldn't be an usual request to ask for.
  • banana468 said:
    FWIW, unless you're both really good dancers or used to entertaining crowds, I'd tread lightly here.   There are a lot of people out there who see these things and try to duplicate them but they often fall flat.
    I second this. And if you go the lessons route, really commit. I've seen first dances where the couple got something choreographed, or took a couple lessons, and they looked really stiff. They looked like they were focusing on remembering the steps and not tripping over each other, rather than enjoying the moment. 
    A mash-up of songs sounds fun and different (like, start with a slow song and bust out in a fast song), but try to just enjoy yourselves rather than impress. People want to see the love you share, not fancy dance moves.  

• banana468 said:
    FWIW, unless you're both really good dancers or used to entertaining crowds, I'd tread lightly here.   There are a lot of people out there who see these things and try to duplicate them but they often fall flat.

This. These weird "fun" choreographed dances are the actual WORST, IMHO. I get uncomfortable watching them on TV, it would be terrible in person.
    Just my personal opinion, but I totally agree. It was fun and cool for the first dozen times people posted "surprise" wedding dances on YouTube, but it seems pretty unoriginal and cliche to me. I find it a lot more fun and interesting when people commit to actual dance lessons (like the waltz, or foxtrot, or tango), and look like they really know what they are doing.

Either way, if you want something choreographed, take lessons. If you are trying to do some mashup where you break out some fast-song dance moves, you REALLY need to commit and learn the moves. 

H and I had planned to take ballroom dance lessons before our wedding, but the closer we got, the more we realized that it was very much not a priority to us - it's a big commitment. Whatever you do, just don't half-ass it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I saw one of those once in a video, where the couple started off slow-dancing to "Unchained Melody" only to change halfway (following what sounded like a recording scratch) to a fast rock song.

To be honest, it looked over-choreographed and over-the-top AWish, like the couple were trying to show off their dance skills for a (captive) audience. I think (and hope) that this "thing" (if it is one) has run its course.
  • I get wanting to do something special and memorable, however, most of the things that happen at your wedding will only be memorable to you, unless it goes terribly wrong and has the potential to end up on youtube as a fail...

FI and I decided that instead of having our first dance to a slow/romantic/traditional song we are choosing a song that we both love to sing along to on long car rides. We are both terrible dancers, so we found a slowed down covers of the songs (professional cover, not audio of a youtube video from a bedroom). Most of guest will probably not realize that it is usually a fun pop song, but we'll know.
  • I've been to one wedding where the couple did this, and I did enjoy it.....but that was at least seven years ago. Since then I've seen done to death on FB, and unless they land just right it can be really, really cringeworthy. If you do decide to go ahead with this then I'd really think about hiring someone to choreograph/teach you. It's all down to ability. You might be an amazing dancer and really nail it, or you might be an okay dancer who can hold a beat on a crowded dance floor but a choreographed routine doesn't quite work so well. And that's not forgetting that there are two of you to consider. But it's your call, it's not hurting anyone. 

• Cringing at the thought of attending a wedding with something like this. OP, if you must do this, make it short and sweet... don't make your guests watch you dance for like 12 minutes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've been at a few weddings where couples did this. Each time, it was super awkward. If you do insist on doing this, please make it short. 
  • Another vote for a pass on this idea.  A simple first dance that is short, sweet, and to the point will be much better received than a mediocre and dragged out choreographed dance routine.

• @OurWildKingdom - Thanks. Noteworthy- that dance lasted 1 minute 21 seconds.

• ei34ei34 member
    My cousin and her husband took dance lessons for months and did a lovely waltz for their first dance.  It was a touch stiff but nice.  It wasn't a professional chereographer but a dance teacher who instructed 5 or 6 couples once a week. 

I was a brideslave once where halfway through the couple's (lovely) first dance, they and the bridal party broke into the Carlton.  The rest of the BP and I felt ridiculous, and when we saw the video, it looked dumb.  We just mimicked it on YouTube...winging it isn't the way to go.  Even if we'd had a choreographer I think it still would've been weird.
  • eileenrob said:
    My cousin and her husband took dance lessons for months and did a lovely waltz for their first dance.  It was a touch stiff but nice.  It wasn't a professional chereographer but a dance teacher who instructed 5 or 6 couples once a week. 

I was a brideslave once where halfway through the couple's (lovely) first dance, they and the bridal party broke into the Carlton.  The rest of the BP and I felt ridiculous, and when we saw the video, it looked dumb.  We just mimicked it on YouTube...winging it isn't the way to go.  Even if we'd had a choreographer I think it still would've been weird.
    As in Carlton from Fresh Prince?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    @madamerwin yes!  :s
    That's awkward... Despite how silly it looks, the Carlton actually takes a good deal of coordination to pull off.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    @OurWildKingdom - Thanks. Noteworthy- that dance lasted 1 minute 21 seconds.
    I also think it goes over well because they are still dancing together, versus putting on a routine for their guests.
  • Add me to the list of non-fans. I always cringe if these things don't go off smoothly, and many of your guests will, too. You don't want to do anything that would make your guests feel awkward. Also, I agree this idea is now old hat. If I saw that at any event now, I'd be saying, "People still do this?"
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm of the (unpopular?) opinion that I don't care if a first dance is weird or AWish; if I'm a little uncomfortable as a guest watching, it's only a couple minutes of my time, hopefully while I'm comfortably sipping the cocktail the couple has provided for me.

That said, if you want to be original or over the top, commit. Anything else is universally cringe-worthy. And don't pull your bridal party into anything choreographed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards