Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair and Makeup Trial was a DISASTER...what now?

Hi all!
I went for my hair and makeup trial a little bit ago, quite early for my wedding date (not until November), and am I glad I did! I went in wanting something really natural and super easy. Wavy hair, half up half down and simple makeup. 

The whole thing was a disaster. I looked like a cross between a doll and a 90's prom queen...Everything was really stiff and overdone, and I ended up in tears in the car and had a half hour shower at home, trying to get the hairspray and back combing out of my hair. 

Needless to say, I just kind of want to do it myself now, and save the rest of the fee (I paid 30% for the trial), and just want to avoid talking about it...Am I having the wrong response to this? I talked to her the day of about some of the things that really didn't work for me and she seemed to get a little offended, so I'm worried that it won't get much better. 

I've never been in this situation before and looking for any advice!! Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Hair and Makeup Trial was a DISASTER...what now?

• Why don't you try a different MUA and hairstylist?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • For some reason I feel really bad about finding someone new! Not totally sure why... Could just be me feeling overly people pleasing though!
  • For some reason I feel really bad about finding someone new! Not totally sure why... Could just be me feeling overly people pleasing though!
    Well your choice is to do your make up/hair yourself so that you don't hurt this woman's feelings, or find someone you like to do it for you. I think this is one occasion where you need to take a deep breath and do the adult thing. Or decide that you are okay with doing it yourself, which is a totally acceptable too.

• If I were you, I'd cool off, then call and re-set an appointment for another trial. Politely explain that you thought about it and the result really wasn't your vision. The whole point of a trial is to ensure you're happy. See if you can get another appointment without paying again.
    If this person won't do another trial without charging you more money, I'd eat that 30% and find someone else. Now, they're entitled to ask for more payment (it's their time, after all), but if they didn't listen to you in the first place when you explained your vision, then I feel that's really on them. 

Don't compromise on this. I spent a lot of money on my hair with my trusted stylist of several years (did my own makeup though). I loved my hair. When I look back on my wedding photos I admire my hair more than my dress. Not kidding. 

• crowsgirl15crowsgirl15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    What did you say to the hair and makeup people during your trial? Did you explain to them it wasn't your vision, and some of your issues with how it came out? That's what the trial is for, after all! They may have given you what would have pleased another bride, but just doesn't work for you. As PPs have mentioned, it may be possible to do a second trial since you were unsatisfied!

ETA: Oh, I can't read, you said you did all this. *Facepalm* Yeah, ask for a second trial or consider another hair/makeup artist. You should be happy with what you're paying for!

• Did you provide pictures of what you had in mind at your trial?  I had a truly horrific makeup experience once, and that was the very first thing I told my MU artist when I met her the first time.  A good MUA will be able to listen to your concerns and take direction.  You're a client, not a canvas.  Simple and natural isn't difficult for a good MUA.

If you get a second trial, definitely bring pictures.  Sometimes things get lost in speech, and a picture is worth a thousand words.  Makeup might be harder, but all I told my MUA was that I ultimately still wanted to look like me.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I do makeup for weddings as a side job. When I do trials with brides, I encourage them throughout to tell me what they like and don't like about the finished look so that we can make changes and tweaks. I also typically reach out the next day to see if they have any changes after wearing it home that evening (and in case they were too afraid to tell me in person that they didn't love something).

I tell you this because if you were vocal about not liking what they had done and they weren't working with you to try and fix it during the trial, then you should probably cut your losses and move on.  Your hair and makeup are something that are front and center to every guest and in almost every picture--it's well worth searching for somebody new and paying for another trial so that you can be thrilled and comfortable with your look. 
  • I'm sorry you're having a rough time but hire someone else! Read reviews, look at photos, you still have time! I've had terrible experiences with hair and makeup and I've also had really great experiences. I'm sure you can find someone that you'll like. Your hair and makeup isn't going to be something you'll want to be worrying about on your wedding day. 
  • Thanks for the help all! I sent her an email, and she said she would do another trial free of charge, and if I still didn't like it she would help me to find someone else. 
  • Thanks for the help all! I sent her an email, and she said she would do another trial free of charge, and if I still didn't like it she would help me to find someone else. 
    That's great. A couple things I would do, take a few pictures in the makeup once it's done to see how it looks on camera. That way you can see what it will look like in your photos. 

Also, if you're not used to wearing a lot of makeup just be prepared that professional makeup, makeup that won't wear throughout the day is typically going to feel like a lot more. I also did a natural feeling to the makeup (I told my MUA that I wanted to look like me, but better). I felt like it was a ton of make up when in reality it just stayed on all day and on pictures looked fantastic. Good luck, and make sure you speak up if there is something you're not a fan of. 
    That's great. A couple things I would do, take a few pictures in the makeup once it's done to see how it looks on camera. That way you can see what it will look like in your photos. 

Also, if you're not used to wearing a lot of makeup just be prepared that professional makeup, makeup that won't wear throughout the day is typically going to feel like a lot more. I also did a natural feeling to the makeup (I told my MUA that I wanted to look like me, but better). I felt like it was a ton of make up when in reality it just stayed on all day and on pictures looked fantastic. Good luck, and make sure you speak up if there is something you're not a fan of. 
    Totally agree with seeing how the makeup looks in pictures. DD thought her makeup was too heavy (she had her trial for her engagement pictures). She texted me a picture of it wanting my opinion. I thought it looked great! The wedding day, she looked beautiful (ok I'm biased) but exactly like herself only better. Pictures were great because the MU stayed on all day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards