Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

dietary issues - menu ideas?

We have a handful of guests who are vegan, celiac or both (or my aunt, who is a celiac vegan with a nightshade intolerance, oy vey!)

Our caterer has experience in keeping things from getting cross contaminated and said they can make pretty much whatever we want them to, but we are kind of at a loss as to what we should have them do!

The regular meal is going to be buffet style summer picnic type food (burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, pasta salad, garden salad, mac and cheese, corn on the cob, etc). Should we just stick with the theme and do veggie dogs or something with the option for gluten free rolls? Or should we do something totally different? I was a vegetarian for a long time so I'm sensitive to feeling left out and don't want anyone to feel like a second class citizen when it comes time for dinner. 

(ALSO, HOLY CRUD, 60 days left til the wedding!!)

Re: dietary issues - menu ideas?

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I personally would try to mimic the menu as much as possible.  They can enjoy the garden salad and corn on the cob (make sure you have a GF dressing).  Will you be serving fruit? 

We always try to draw as little attention or "to do" as possible when accommodating our GF guests and family members.  We try very hard to include a side or two that would work regardless of dietary restrictions.
  • edited May 2016
    I'd say go with veggie dogs and/or veggie burgers (check the ingredients, though, a lot have wheat gluten) and offer gluten-free rolls. Make sure that at least some of your side dishes are also vegan- and celiac-friendly (cheese and croutons on the side for the salad, don't pre-butter the corn, no bacon in the beans, etc.) and label everything! For your aunt, make sure tomatoes and peppers are on the side.

We have several vegan guests and a couple with Celiac's disease or other allergies/intolerances (MOH can't eat most vegetables and is allergic to seafood and strawberries) so I can relate. We're putting lots of signs out.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto PP.  Another reason to try and mimic your regular menu as much as possible is that something "different" might entice guests who don't have any limitations, limiting the amount for guests that need the special food.  (Unless theirs won't be buffet style like the rest of the food.)
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    MobKaz said:
    I personally would try to mimic the menu as much as possible.  They can enjoy the garden salad and corn on the cob (make sure you have a GF dressing).  Will you be serving fruit? 

We always try to draw as little attention or "to do" as possible when accommodating our GF guests and family members.  We try very hard to include a side or two that would work regardless of dietary restrictions.
    There will be fresh fruit and veggies during cocktail hour!
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    eileenrob said:
    Ditto PP.  Another reason to try and mimic your regular menu as much as possible is that something "different" might entice guests who don't have any limitations, limiting the amount for guests that need the special food.  (Unless theirs won't be buffet style like the rest of the food.)
    We were thinking of quietly letting those with dietary issues to ask the caterer to grab them the GF/Vegan stuff, which we'll have off the normal buffet line, that way they don't get contaminated and people who don't require it aren't taking it instead of those who need it.
  • You might consider black bean burger for the vegetarians/vegans.  There are many variants, and probably can be made celiac-friendly and pepper/tomato free as needed.  Add gluten-free buns and they'll fit right in!
  • We had one vegetarian and one allergy at DD's wedding. our caterer just said to tell one of the server's and they would get their food from the kitchen. It worked out very well and there was no issue of others wondering if something else was offered.
  • I recommend Sunshine burgers. They are vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free and actually really tasty. For buns get Udis. Best glten free bread out there, dies need to be toastes first.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards