Wedding Woes

Prince - It's official...

The Medical Examiner released their report (the Sheriff's Office has NOT released theirs yet)... Accidental self-administered fentanyl overdose...

Re: Prince - It's official...

• I think we all knew, but still sad to hear.
    MesmrEwe
  • I'm sure there will be further investigation into who prescribed that particular drug for him.  Although it's available in patch form, it is usually only used in a hospital setting because of it's potency and risk for overdose.

MesmrEwe
  • MNNEBride said:
    I'm sure there will be further investigation into who prescribed that particular drug for him.  Although it's available in patch form, it is usually only used in a hospital setting because of it's potency and risk for overdose.

The search warrant for a nearby hospital and doctor's records is already public in regards to the investigation. 

Hopefully it's used in a positive way about monitoring medications, but sadly, it'll likely lead to making things more difficult for Chronic pain sufferers (not all conditions can be treated with OTC Tylenol or ibuprophen)... 

• I was really hoping this wasn't going to be the case. 
    MesmrEweOurWildKingdom
  • Things are already very difficult for those in chronic pain.  My husband has chronic back pain and it's nearly impossible for him to get a prescriptive pain medication.  I completely understand the need to monitor these medications and the high risk for abuse, but there needs to be consideration for those who legitimately need them and don't abuse them.
    charlotte989875MesmrEwe
  • MNNEBride said:
    I'm sure there will be further investigation into who prescribed that particular drug for him.  Although it's available in patch form, it is usually only used in a hospital setting because of it's potency and risk for overdose.

Not necessarily true.  I was on the Fentanyl patch for chronic back pain for over 10 years, even then they didn't eliminate my pain, just made me able to somewhat function. But, I had very responsible doctors that monitored my use very closely. They did regular drug testing to make sure I was using the medication and not selling it and they even monitored any other prescriptions I filled.  I had a tooth pulled and dentist wrote me a script for vicodin.  The next day my pain doctor called me to say that it was a violation of my contract to get narcotics from other sources and another violation would result in them dropping me as a patient. If only all doctors were as thorough with prescribing and monitoring, it wouldn't be so hard for those with legitimate need to get help.  Luckily, in my case, we were able to find some alternative treatments a few years ago that actually helped and I was able to get off the narcotics.  I still hurt every day, but it's within a tolerable level that still allows me to get out of bed without medication... at least for now.

Fentanyl does have definite risk, even if used properly.  I know one version of the patch could be punctured and cause accidental overdose.  We really don't know if Prince's case was abuse of the medication, either on his end or from prescribers, or if it was a true accident.  Although, I'm not sure which would be a better scenario. 

charlotte989875MesmrEwe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards