Wedding Woes
Options

Tattoo thunderjacking

Dear Prudence,
My sister and I had a lot of the same picture books as kids. (I’m five years older, so I had them first, which is not relevant, but this whole question is super bratty.) A few weeks ago, she got an iconic image from one of those books as a tattoo on her back. Now I’m getting a sleeve that consists of images from my favorite kids’ books. I took the books to the tattoo parlor, and the artist picked out that same image as the perfect one to go right at the top of the sleeve. My sister is furious. I am upset that she is furious, and I want my tattoo as I am currently imagining it. Should I give up the idea? I am legitimately concerned that I will be engraving guilt and resentment into my skin.

—Building Scars

Re: Tattoo thunderjacking

• Options

I read picture books as a kid and never wanted to draw them on my body. Very interesting.

Sounds like the sister has called dibs on Little Red Riding Hood.

• Options
    The Velveteen Rabbit? Curious George? WHAT IMAGE IS THIS!!

• Options
    I so want to know what book this is. 

I think LW should pick a different image. It's not like she drew it herself or had some long attachment to it; the artist suggested it would look good with what she wanted. There has to be something else that would work just as well that isn't the same thing that's on her sister back. 
  • Options
    LW's right this is a bratty question...

This isn't a situation like the LW was dreaming of having this specific pic on her arm for years and finally worked up the courage to do it but her little sis beat her to it. In this case the artist just said this pic would look good. Have the artist pick another one. I'd be a bit peeved too if I were the little sis. I probably wouldn't say much but I would think less of her as a person.

I too want to know what this book is...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really don't see the big deal either way - the sister is probably not the first or last person to have that tattoo. It's someone else' art - not an original piece that was done for either person. The OP mentions no particular attachment to this image. They both need a time out. 
  • Options
    All I can think is that I'd love to get similar/same tattoos to my sisters (that meant something to us, obvs).  My older sister would need to be sedated to get her in the chair.  

They're both being bratty.  It would be so much better if they could be collaborative instead. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    I really don't see the big deal either way - the sister is probably not the first or last person to have that tattoo. It's someone else' art - not an original piece that was done for either person. The OP mentions no particular attachment to this image. They both need a time out. 
    QFT. It's someone else's art - it's not like the OP is taking one of her sister's original drawings and putting it on her arm.

I am extremely curious to know which character this is. Corduroy? The Very Hungry Caterpillar? Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? THE PAJAMA LLAMA?? 

The suspense of not knowing is going to keep me up tonight. ;-)
  • Options
    I want to know what it is, too.  If I ever got a tattoo of a scene from a children's picture book (this is a string of IFs), it would be this:

"If you become a bird and fly away from me," said his mother, "I will be a tree that you come home to."  (Except that the original only has one flying bunny, and as a side note, I can't believe this actually exists as a tattoo!)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Off topic. My friend wrote and illustrated an unpublished children's book. Then his gf got the main character, a snail, tattooed directly in the center of her stomach, above her belly button. They broke up shortly after, if they weren't actually broken up before she got it.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I feel like this is when brides complain about someone else having their wedding dress.  If you're picking  well known image, there is going to be someone else with it.
    Do you mean to suggest that my David's Bridal gown was not youneek?!
  • Options
    Both of them grew up with the same books. The younger of the two must have known that maybe someone else they knew would get a similar tatt!

Also .... dying to know what this image is! I'm picturing "Little Critter" honestly
  • Options
    All I can think is that I'd love to get similar/same tattoos to my sisters (that meant something to us, obvs).  My older sister would need to be sedated to get her in the chair.  

They're both being bratty.  It would be so much better if they could be collaborative instead. 
    I thought the same thing.  If they're close, that could be a really cool thing for them to share.  

• Options
    levioosa said:

I thought the same thing.  If they're close, that could be a really cool thing for them to share.  
    I was thinking the same thing... To me it is weird that either one of them is upset about this! I don't have a sister, but my mom and I have talked about getting matching/similar tattoos. I think it's sweet. 

• Options

I can just imagine what my tattoo artist friends would give for a look of "you've got to be kidding me right?!?!" It's permanent - if she wants to permanently look at the Pokey Little Puppy at the top of her sleeve - Do it!!!

Now if you think you're "Framing guilt and resentment on your skin" skip the tattoo COMPLETELY LW because a tattoo just might not be for you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards