Wedding 911

Decor Logistics?

This isn't really a 911, but I didn't see a better fit and the day is seriously nigh, so ?
There was some slight miscommunication with our venue, and I have discovered that they will not set out the decor I am bringing - "we" are asked to do that. Seems silly to me, since they are hanging garland and putting out the rentals, etc., but it's whatever, I understand that there's probably some complicated liability with people who are more attached to their decor, using heirloom pieces, what have you.
This decor is minimal. Half of each centerpiece is rented (a gold votive holder), so will already be set out; the other half of each is a peacock mat and then a table number - our stuff. Seventeen tables total. Then there are twist-on wired aisle decor for the ceremony seating - twenty of these. I've attached pictures of the central mats and the aisle decor. I am assuming I will also need to set out the bar menus; favors; guestbook; table chart; and flats, wraps, and fans for guests - since all of this is "my stuff."
Am I crazy to think I can knock this out in half an hour? I'm not asking my WP or guests for help; my mom will be with me the whole day but I'd really rather she just kept me company while I set this stuff out rather than worry about "doing it right" (on her side, not mine; she is a worrier). There's no reason I wouldn't have time, I think: hair and makeup is at 1, twenty minutes to the venue, photos are at 5 and start with me getting into the dress. I had wanted, originally, to just sit around with WP who wanted to get ready on site, but I'm also not sure how else to get this decor set out. But I would like feedback from others - is just doing this myself a recipe for disaster? Should we look into hiring someone to set out seventeen centerpieces, twist twenty wires, and set up one side table with stuff for guests? Who would we even hire for that?
(I guarantee that if I ask FI to do it - since he doesn't have a hair and makeup appt, etc. - this will turn into all the men helping. A couple of them are aggressively super helpful and would be offended to have their offers turned down. Also, he doesn't see the big deal in accepting this kind of help because basically every other wedding in our circle has totally ignored this rule, meaning we have done a lot of setup and tear down for other people's weddings. He liked "my" plan to make sure everything was handled so no one needed to help and understood the logic of the etiquette when I explained it, but I just don't think he would stand firm on this the day of.)

TL;DR - Is half an hour enough time to set up some basic decor if the bride is doing it? Would it be smarter to just find someone to pay?

Re: Decor Logistics?

• Personally, I'd find someone to pay to do it. Is there anyway you can access the venue the day before and set up if you do it yourself? If you do it by yourself (meaning FI isn't helping) I would allow more than 30 mins - at least an hour.
  • We can't do the day before because they have an afternoon event there. We get the space at five for rehearsal, but the rentals are being dropped off about the same time, when we need to be hosting the rehearsal dinner. (Even if we had more time, moving the rehearsal dinner to later would not be ideal because our family will be HUNGRY by 6:30; they are early eaters!) I could drive up first thing the next morning, but that feels even more stress-y. Maybe FI can figure out some creative way to get there ~3:30 that day and help without bringing his best man along? 
    Or, who do you hire for this? The DOC is on site with the venue, which was part of the misunderstanding on this decor thing in the first place. 
  • Dyou have anyone that you trust enough to farm it out to? I'm planning on two hours the evening before with the wedding party/ Sister in law etc to do it all together in a relaxed time so that no one's stressed about it and in case somethings forgotten or breaks then we can deal with it as easily as possible. 
    I would personally allow more time, maybe an hour? And ask if aunties or Bridesmaids etc wouldn't mind helping, either that or ask the venue if they would do it for you at an extra cost? At least that way you don't even have to think about It!
  • rebecca+m said:
    This isn't really a 911, but I didn't see a better fit and the day is seriously nigh, so ?
    There was some slight miscommunication with our venue, and I have discovered that they will not set out the decor I am bringing - "we" are asked to do that. Seems silly to me, since they are hanging garland and putting out the rentals, etc., but it's whatever, I understand that there's probably some complicated liability with people who are more attached to their decor, using heirloom pieces, what have you.
    This decor is minimal. Half of each centerpiece is rented (a gold votive holder), so will already be set out; the other half of each is a peacock mat and then a table number - our stuff. Seventeen tables total. Then there are twist-on wired aisle decor for the ceremony seating - twenty of these. I've attached pictures of the central mats and the aisle decor. I am assuming I will also need to set out the bar menus; favors; guestbook; table chart; and flats, wraps, and fans for guests - since all of this is "my stuff."
    Am I crazy to think I can knock this out in half an hour? I'm not asking my WP or guests for help; my mom will be with me the whole day but I'd really rather she just kept me company while I set this stuff out rather than worry about "doing it right" (on her side, not mine; she is a worrier). There's no reason I wouldn't have time, I think: hair and makeup is at 1, twenty minutes to the venue, photos are at 5 and start with me getting into the dress. I had wanted, originally, to just sit around with WP who wanted to get ready on site, but I'm also not sure how else to get this decor set out. But I would like feedback from others - is just doing this myself a recipe for disaster? Should we look into hiring someone to set out seventeen centerpieces, twist twenty wires, and set up one side table with stuff for guests? Who would we even hire for that?
    (I guarantee that if I ask FI to do it - since he doesn't have a hair and makeup appt, etc. - this will turn into all the men helping. A couple of them are aggressively super helpful and would be offended to have their offers turned down. Also, he doesn't see the big deal in accepting this kind of help because basically every other wedding in our circle has totally ignored this rule, meaning we have done a lot of setup and tear down for other people's weddings. He liked "my" plan to make sure everything was handled so no one needed to help and understood the logic of the etiquette when I explained it, but I just don't think he would stand firm on this the day of.)

TL;DR - Is half an hour enough time to set up some basic decor if the bride is doing it? Would it be smarter to just find someone to pay?
    I would budget an hour for doing it yourself, just to be on the safe side.  You never know what people are going to be coming up to you and interrupting you as well--vendors double-checking last minute stuff, relatives arriving early and trying to say hi, BMs needing safety pins or something, or you leave a bag in the car and have to run back to get it--I know with my wedding and the weddings I've seen ahead of time, things can get a little hectic, and I think if you only give yourself 1/2 hour, you'll be scrambling around or panicing that you won't get it all done.  And if you give yourself an hour and it only takes 30 minutes, bonus--more time to chill with Mom or BMs and unwind for a few minutes before the ceremony.  
    If you don't have an hour of wiggle room, consider hiring a local high-schooler or something to do the setup.  Send them the pictures of what it's supposed to look like so they'll have them on their phone for reference, or print out a picture and stick it to the top of the box you're using to store stuff.
  • Check with your rental company!  Honestly, If they wanted $200 to do 100% of the setting up for you, it's worth it to not have to do it yourself.  You're either going to be doing it right after the RD, or you're going to be getting up early to do it the next morning and it's going to take longer than you realize it will...  Really, hire a coordinator or someone you know looking for a little extra cash because you don't have time to do this yourself...

• Thanks for the feedback, all! I think I'll push back a little with both venue and rental companies and see where I can get, and if the answer is nowhere...
    Part of the reason I wish I had known this earlier is I teach at our university and I know several students I would have tapped about this job: conscientious kids who I'd feel better about giving $100 an hour to than I do the venue. It might be a little awkward to reach out after a month, but ? The best man teaches at the high school local to the venue, as well. 
    And, as a last resort, we'll do the night before. I was pushing back mentally against doing anything after the rehearsal dinner, but realistically we'll be done there by 8 at the outside. If we have to do it, that would be much the better time. 
    Thanks! 12 days to go! 
  • Glad it worked out, just wanted to say I love the peacock centerpieces!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards