Wedding Party

Facebook Group??

We are from KY and getting married in AL this fall. I was debating on creating a Facebook group with some "reminder" info such as hotel discount link and location of wedding. 

All of this info is listed on the wedding website (on the Save the Date), but I also wanted to provide a place where they can easily ask questions or coordinate travel plans, etc. Has done something similar? 

Also, since we are including our out-of-town guests in the rehearsal dinner, has anyone done anything in addition to another invitation? Facebook event to track RSVP?

Re: Facebook Group??

• We are from KY and getting married in AL this fall. I was debating on creating a Facebook group with some "reminder" info such as hotel discount link and location of wedding. 

All of this info is listed on the wedding website (on the Save the Date), but I also wanted to provide a place where they can easily ask questions or coordinate travel plans, etc. Has done something similar? 

Also, since we are including our out-of-town guests in the rehearsal dinner, has anyone done anything in addition to another invitation? Facebook event to track RSVP?
    I think a Facebook group with info that could easily be on your wedding website is overkill.  Chances are if your guests aren't internet savvy enough to use a wedding website, they won't be able to use Facebook either.  I doubt people will need that much interaction anyways.  

If you are including out of town guests with the rehearsal dinner, I would send out another, separate invitation.  It can be an e-vite, but it's more formal I recommend paper invites.  

• Is this for all guests, or just the wedding party (since you're in on the WP board).

If the first, it's a bad idea, as @levioosa noted.

If it's just your wedding party, I think it's a good idea. My wedding party is scattered between the American Coasts and Europe. I created a secret group for everyone to allow them to plan pre-wedding parties (which they already offered) without my having to compile a list of everyone's contact info. It was requested by them, and easy for me.

• Just email the bridal party and they can email or call text you if they need more info.
    All but one rehearsal dinner I've been to just had a call/email rsvp (sometimes by a certain date, sometimes not). Most recently I went to a very formal RD that had a postcard rsvp to send back.

• Also agree that it's overkill. The STD and website should be enough. If people have questions, they will ask you. Trust me. Haha. 
  • edited June 2016
    agreed with @JediElizabeth  if it's just for WP
    I had a secret group for my WP since one of my BMs was across the country. At least she could be involved with things. Certain things for BM or GM would be done via chats but wedding stuff that we wanted to keep them in the loop - or if things were happening and wanted to give them the option to come - we'd post in there.

For guests, maybe not. Hotel discount stuff I would imagine best place is with the invitation just in case. You could openly say on fb that if anyone had any questions regarding hotels for the wedding, they could contact you?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree I think the FB group is overkill. It's already on your website and STD. If specific guests want to coordinate travel plans, they can do that among themselves. I would not publicly share my travel plans with a large number of people; it would feel rude to talk about plans with a few people in front of a larger group without including them too.

As for your rehearsal dinner, you should have a separate invitation for this event; invitations should match the formality of the event. My RD was very informal and included a small number of people, so I e-mailed or verbally provided the details to guests and received RSVPs the same way. How you choose to manage your RSVPs is up to you, but I wouldn't bank on all of your guests responding to a FB event (some may choose to call or email you instead).

• I say no. If it's for just the WP, maaaaybe, but even then I'd say skip it. I dislike Facebook groups, and I really, really, really hate being added to ones that I never asked to be part of. 

If I want to coordinate travel, I'd be texting or calling or Facebook messaging my bestie or relative. I wouldn't be posting about it in a group that every other person going to the wedding can see. And, honestly, I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm an adult and I really don't need a location or hotel link reminder. I already have that info from the STD and/or invitation. 
  • I'm ok with it if it's just for the WP, as long as you aren't constantly posting and updating in it and expecting everyone to check it on Thursday at 5 like a weekly WP meeting. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We have one since we are all going to Vegas for our wedding. It's a small group and I think I've made a total of 5 posts in it, all travel deal related (we are the only two that visit Vegas regularly and are always checking flights, hotels, groupons, etc.). Closer to the date I'm sure we'll use it a bit more but for now, it's just a good place to post sales we see. I'm not putting that type of stuff on our wedding site because I'm not using it as a blog type of site. All of my guests are regular Facebook users, so I'm not worried about annoying any of them with my posts. It probably wouldn't work if my guests weren't active Facebook users and in that case, I wouldn't do it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I realize this thread is a couple weeks old but I wanted to throw my two cents in. I would not do this, OP. I get added to so many FB groups and get notifications about all sorts of stuff that I don't really want to see. I know I can leave the group but it's things like this type of group that I would feel rude leaving or like I might miss something important if I leave. But I really don't want to hear about a bunch of strangers making plans to attend your wedding.

If you want to do a less formal invite than mail for your RD I'd recommend something like evite. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards