Moms and Maids
Options

Rehearsal Dinner

edited June 2016 in Moms and Maids
I have a FMIL who agreed to pay for the Rehearsal Dinner, which is awesome!  She keeps changing her mind and lowering the amount she will contribute.  It's frustrating and stressful because my FI and I would like to lock down a venue and menu. She doesn't want to do a damn thing when it comes to planning it.  She wants FI and I to do ALL of the planning! Do you have any suggestions as to how to handle this?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• Options
    I should also note that she is incredibly manipulative.
  • Options
    I have a FMIL who agreed to pay for the Rehearsal Dinner, which is awesome!  She keeps changing her mind and lowering the amount she will contribute.  It's frustrating and stressful because my FI and I would like to lock down a venue and menu.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to handle this?
    Let her make the arrangements.  If she's paying she gets to decide where and who and how much.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    I have a FMIL who agreed to pay for the Rehearsal Dinner, which is awesome!  She keeps changing her mind and lowering the amount she will contribute.  It's frustrating and stressful because my FI and I would like to lock down a venue and menu.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to handle this?
    Let her make the arrangements.  If she's paying she gets to decide where and who and how much.
    Ah!  That's another thing...she doesn't want to do a damn thing when it comes to planning it.  She wants FI and I to do ALL of the planning!
  • Options
    You can always pay for and plan it yourself?

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Ah!  That's another thing...she doesn't want to do a damn thing when it comes to planning it.  She wants FI and I to do ALL of the planning!
    Then unless and until you have money in hand I'd assume that you and FI are paying and plan accordingly.  Don't count on her money until it appears, and don't count on it being the amount you are promised.

You say she agreed to pay for the rehearsal dinner - did she offer or did you guys ask?

• Options
    I so wish we could!  We have been forbaded by his family and my family to pay for anything wedding related. Which is very generous of them to intend to have it that way. FI and I are broke and this wedding of ours is the only reason our families are being so generous to us. 
  • Options
    I so wish we could!  We have been forbaded by his family and my family to pay for anything wedding related. Which is very generous of them to intend to have it that way. FI and I are broke and this wedding of ours is the only reason our families are being so generous to us. 
    How can you be forbidden? Thats ridiculous. You either decline the money they are generously giving you due to the amount of conditions your families are placing on this cash or you accept their terms. If I were you I'd have FI sit down with her and explain that you both need a budget in order to plan the dinner, if she cannot give this then you have no choice but to take on the cost and responsibility as a couple. You need to engage FI with any issues to do with his family. If he won't help you that is a bigger issue.
    He has sat down with her. She agreed to higher amount. Then she cut it in half. Then she doubled it. We started planning the dinner but then she cut the budget by 20%. Then she upped it again. It's driving me nuts!!! And it's costing SO much money because her and her family have religious demands about the venue and food which really narrows our selections and increases the cost. 
  • Options
    How can you be forbidden? Thats ridiculous. You either decline the money they are generously giving you due to the amount of conditions your families are placing on this cash or you accept their terms. If I were you I'd have FI sit down with her and explain that you both need a budget in order to plan the dinner, if she cannot give this then you have no choice but to take on the cost and responsibility as a couple. You need to engage FI with any issues to do with his family. If he won't help you that is a bigger issue.
    He has sat down with her. She agreed to higher amount. Then she cut it in half. Then she doubled it. We started planning the dinner but then she cut the budget by 20%. Then she upped it again. It's driving me nuts!!! And it's costing SO much money because her and her family have religious demands about the venue and food which really narrows our selections and increases the cost. 
    Religious demands for the venue? As in, not church related? From your MOB attire post suggesting she didn't know not to wear a mini skirt in church I assume she is not religious?

• Options
    Religious demands for the venue? As in, not church related? From your MOB attire post suggesting she didn't know not to wear a mini skirt in church I assume she is not religious?
    That's one of the problems. She's super religious yet her mind is crazy for thinking that it's okay to wear a mini skirt. 
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Nobody can forbid you to pay for your own wedding. How absurd, both for them to declare and for you to accept. 

ETA: I'm starting to think you're full of shit.
    Seriously, OP. How old are you? 12? Have your parents grounded you or something? OHMYGOD ARE YOU ALLOWED TO BE ONLINE WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION? 
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:
    Nobody can forbid you to pay for your own wedding. How absurd, both for them to declare and for you to accept. 

Seriously, OP. How old are you? 12? Have your parents grounded you or something? OHMYGOD ARE YOU ALLOWED TO BE ONLINE WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION? 
    Let's play nice, posters. I'm sharing my experience and asking for help. This is what is happening. You can be helpful or snarky and mean. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

Let's play nice, posters. I'm sharing my experience and asking for help. This is what is happening. You can be helpful or snarky and mean. 
    Actually, we can be helpful AND snarky at the same time. These are not mutually exclusive. 

So, me being helpful: unless your parents have frozen all of your accounts and cancelled your credit cards they cannot "forbid" you from paying for your own wedding. 

From your other posts, it sounds like this wedding is causing a lot of drama. Perhaps going to the courthouse, just the two of you, would be a better way of getting married.
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

Actually, we can be helpful AND snarky at the same time. These are not mutually exclusive. 

So, me being helpful: unless your parents have frozen all of your accounts and cancelled your credit cards they cannot "forbid" you from paying for your own wedding. 

From your other posts, it sounds like this wedding is causing a lot of drama. Perhaps going to the courthouse, just the two of you, would be a better way of getting married.
    We did consider that. I can't do that---always dreamed of a big, beautiful wedding. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

We did consider that. I can't do that---always dreamed of a big, beautiful wedding. 
    Then you should pay for it. That way, you won't have to deal with the stress of other peoples' desires for how their money is spent.
    Trust me. We wish we could. We are so tight on money--that's why both families forbade us for paying for any of it!
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

Then you should pay for it. That way, you won't have to deal with the stress of other peoples' desires for how their money is spent.
    Trust me. We wish we could. We are so tight on money--that's why both families forbade us for paying for any of it!
    Exactly. This is a choice. You are choosing to put up with your FMIL's demands and craziness in exchange for your "big, beautiful wedding". And that's fine, you can absolutely do that...but the way to get her to stop is to decline her money and pay for the modest wedding you can afford.

• Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

You won't do that. You're perfectly capable of it.

And that's ok, FI and I are having a big wedding, though we're paying for it ourselves. One thing we did was take 2 years of being engaged to save up for it (we're about halfway there now), cutting expenses and taking extra hours at work when we could. We also already live together, have a joint bank account, and have done a lot of other things that usually come with marriage early, so there were few barriers to waiting for us. 

But it sounds like you have three options: have a big wedding and pay for it in stress instead of cash; have a small wedding; or wait a few years to save up for the wedding you want.
    Question for you, and I'm asking out of complete curiosity: are you okay with saving up 2 years worth of money to go towards a wedding and not like a house or something???
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

And that's ok, FI and I are having a big wedding, though we're paying for it ourselves. One thing we did was take 2 years of being engaged to save up for it (we're about halfway there now), cutting expenses and taking extra hours at work when we could. We also already live together, have a joint bank account, and have done a lot of other things that usually come with marriage early, so there were few barriers to waiting for us. 

But it sounds like you have three options: have a big wedding and pay for it in stress instead of cash; have a small wedding; or wait a few years to save up for the wedding you want.
    Question for you, and I'm asking out of complete curiosity: are you okay with saving up 2 years worth of money to go towards a wedding and not like a house or something???
    Couldn't you ask the same thing of your FMIL? She's very generously offering to give you a substantial amount of money for a party, rather than save that money and use it for something substantial (like a house, car, retirement, etc.). If you were going to spend that much money on a party, wouldn't you want a substantial say in how it is spent?

• Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

Honestly, I wish I could do both. But there's no way in hell I'm taking money from our parents' possible retirement funds to pay for a big party. Either I could save for a wedding or a house, and I decided I want a wedding. Like adults, my FI and I alone shoulder the burden of that choice - which is waiting longer to buy a place. 
    Sounds like you 2 are good at teaming up around making decisions :)
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    redoryx said:
    AddieCake said:

Honestly, I wish I could do both. But there's no way in hell I'm taking money from our parents' possible retirement funds to pay for a big party. Either I could save for a wedding or a house, and I decided I want a wedding. Like adults, my FI and I alone shoulder the burden of that choice - which is waiting longer to buy a place. 
    Sounds like you 2 are good at teaming up around making decisions :)
    It is a thing we've become good at. :)

It's refreshing that you're so open to feedback. Change your name so we can recognize you and stick around a while!
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    DH and I were engaged for 2 years. While our families helped out with some planning and contributed some money to this and that, DH and I paid for the majority of the wedding. We had a wedding with evening reception, open bar, 100 guests. We still came in way under what the average cost of a wedding is.

After 2 years of marriage, DH and I still do not own a house. The plan is for next spring. We are saving up.

This is what being an adult is- you make decisions and choices, and you prioritize. I don't think most of us here walked into marriage with a "free" wedding and house down payment ready to go when we signed the marriage license.

As for the rest- what @jacques27 said. You either make the choice to plan the wedding yourselves, or you deal with your families' demands.

As for the rehearsal- do not count on money until it is in your hand. FI needs to tell his mom, "If you want us to plan the event, we need to have a set budget with funds available by X date". I mean really, any venue I've ever looked at for anything wants some sort of deposit when you sign a contract, so if you and FI are planning this, you need SOME money upfront if she's paying.

Another thing you could do, is pick 3 venues with menus, then present them to her and ask which she'd like to go with. Or, present them and tell her that you (and FI) would be happy with any of these 3, and then let her book it.

Whoever signs the contract is on the hook for the money. If FMIL signs the contract then you don't have to worry about her changing her mind 10 times, as she is the one on the hook at the end of the day. However, if you or FI signs the contract then the two of you need to be prepared to cover the cost at the end of the day if she doesn't come through- thus you really should not be planning something you can't afford.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards