Wedding Party

Jobs for Children

Hey everyone! 

There are 2 special kids in my life that I want to include in the wedding. It's my nephew and my best friend's neice. There are a couple of issues I'm facing though. By the time of the wedding, both kid's will be 7, so they are a little too old for flower girl and ring bearer duties, which I don't want to have anyway. Plus, my nephew is too shy to walk down the aisle. 

So basically, I need some job ideas for two 7 year old kids that doesn't involve walking down the aisle. 

Thanks everyone!

Re: Jobs for Children

• Yeah, but I don't want children going down the aisle and my nephew is too nervous to do it. 
  • If you don't want them going down the aisle could they stand up and do a reading at your ceremony? 7 isn't too young for a simple poem or passage.

• @glasgowtolondon that's a good idea that I've thought of before, but again, my nephew is pretty shy and while I'm close with my best friend's niece, I don't particularly want her to do a reading. Thanks though!
  • @glasgowtolondon that's a good idea that I've thought of before, but again, my nephew is pretty shy and while I'm close with my best friend's niece, I don't particularly want her to do a reading. Thanks though!
    In that case, give them a corsage/buttonhole respectively and have a dance with them at your reception. No need to force it if they are too shy to walk down an aisle or do a reading.

• I've been talking to my fiance and I think we decided they could be delivery girl/boy to send our gifts to one another. Thanks for suggestions everyone. 
  • @charlotte989875 well, what I want is for them to feel special because they are special to us. I just didn't want them to feel uncomfortable either. That's the reason I'm asking this question, to see if anyone has done anything a little creative or unique with kids at their wedding. No need for you to act like that. If you think my question is silly, why respond? Thank you for your suggestion. 
  • @glasgowtolondon It's an important errand. Any notes and gifts we have to be delivered would make them feel special. My nephew feels like he's on top of the world when I ask him to bring me a water bottle, so I think he'll feel pretty special taking an important gift to his uncle. 

@MobKaz I'm a teacher. Of 2nd graders, which is 7 year olds. Have you ever met children? They aren't stupid, they are definetely capable of understanding why that is an important task and they most certainly don't need help taking a present across the building. 

The parents of the kids will be there anyway, because it's my brother and the mother of the girl is my hairdresser. 

I am not sure why everyone is so bothered at the idea that I want my nephew and, basically, my niece, to have something to do at the wedding. They mean the world to me. 

I appreciate the concern of everyone but I just asked for suggestions, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion of my decision. I only decided to put up the idea we had in case someone else is out there looking for ideas for kids in their weddings to do. 

No more responses are necessary. Enjoy your 4th of July, everyone!
  • I certainly didn't mean no one may comment on here anymore, I was saying I don't need any more suggestions.

I want them to be apart of my day, but I'm trying to keep the comfort level of these kids in mind. I know for sure that my nephew doesn't enjoy the spotlight. And I need someone to deliver the gifts, so it isn't a bullshit job, it's a job that actually needed to be filled, and I think the kids would be great for it. Again, I don't understand why you don't get that they just aren't a good fit for the ceremony by their own choice. I would never stop them from being the ring bearer and flower girl if they really wanted to do that. 

Once again, thanks for the suggestions I did receive. I do like the idea of also having a dance with them. 

• I certainly didn't mean no one may comment on here anymore, I was saying I don't need any more suggestions.

I want them to be apart of my day, but I'm trying to keep the comfort level of these kids in mind. I know for sure that my nephew doesn't enjoy the spotlight. And I need someone to deliver the gifts, so it isn't a bullshit job, it's a job that actually needed to be filled, and I think the kids would be great for it. Again, I don't understand why you don't get that they just aren't a good fit for the ceremony by their own choice. I would never stop them from being the ring bearer and flower girl if they really wanted to do that. 

Once again, thanks for the suggestions I did receive. I do like the idea of also having a dance with them. 

@charlotte989875 well, what I want is for them to feel special because they are special to us. I just didn't want them to feel uncomfortable either. That's the reason I'm asking this question, to see if anyone has done anything a little creative or unique with kids at their wedding. No need for you to act like that. If you think my question is silly, why respond? Thank you for your suggestion. 
    I'm pretty sure I gave you suggestions as ways to make them feel special that day without having them be in the spotlight or uncomfortable. You shot down every idea people gave you, so yah I'm still scratching my head as to why you posted if you don't want them in roles traditional done by children AND you reject every idea people post. 

I don't actually think your question is silly, but I'm a little confused about your responses. 
  • If you really want them to feel special at you wedding, you can dress them up and take special photos with them. They can walk with you down the aisle.

But giving kids "jobs" at weddings, like passing things out, doesn't make them feel "special." That's why we're suggesting you not go that route.
  • I posted becasue I wanted to hear some unique ideas that other people have done. I know what roles are out there, but the whole point of this public forum is to hear from others. I only took the tone I did, because I felt as though others were taking that tone with me to begin with and then proceeded to belittle the idea that I did come up with. Why wouldn't I take offense to that? 

I wasn't intending to shoot down ideas, merely letting you know those weren't the direction I was going in. I feel I am entitled to say that those ideas were things I'd already considered, didn't really line up with my what I was looking for, or otherwise. 

I'm not interested in having tiffs with strangers on the internet and I certainly don't want anyone to be unhappy. I apoligize if I came off as defensive. I really am sorry. I understand your annoyances and I understand why any of you would take offense to my tone. I also hope you all can understand mine. Wedding planning is stressful. 
  • @knottie# you said you didn't want a flower girl not that the girl didn't want to be a flower girl. That's fine if you don't want a FG and your nephew would be uncomfortable being a RB. However, 7 isn't too old to be either. Actually for boys it is probably the perfect age. Obviously, you have decided what you want the children to do. There just aren't any other "roles" that children can play in a ceremony. I agree, I wouldn't have a shy 7 year old do a reading either. Personally, I'd go with flowers and pictures.
  • I posted becasue I wanted to hear some unique ideas that other people have done. I know what roles are out there, but the whole point of this public forum is to hear from others. I only took the tone I did, because I felt as though others were taking that tone with me to begin with and then proceeded to belittle the idea that I did come up with. Why wouldn't I take offense to that? 

I wasn't intending to shoot down ideas, merely letting you know those weren't the direction I was going in. I feel I am entitled to say that those ideas were things I'd already considered, didn't really line up with my what I was looking for, or otherwise. 

I'm not interested in having tiffs with strangers on the internet and I certainly don't want anyone to be unhappy. I apoligize if I came off as defensive. I really am sorry. I understand your annoyances and I understand why any of you would take offense to my tone. I also hope you all can understand mine. Wedding planning is stressful. 
    When it comes to roles for kids in weddings,

1) Do the kids really want to do it? You're assuming that they do because of your closeness to them, but kids don't always like dressing up and going up and down aisles or reading or singing or even being in the spotlight in public - no matter how much the bride or groom loves them. If they don't really want to do those things, they're not going to enjoy your wedding. What's more important - that they do what you want them to do, or that they enjoy being there and have fun?

2) There are no "unique" ways to include kids in weddings. The only "roles" for kids are flower girl, ring bearer, bridesmaid/man, groomsmaid/man, and reader. Passing things out is not a "role" and should not be asked of anyone to "honor" them - not even a kid.

Sorrynotsorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
  • Someone explain this gift delivery thing to me? Is there not just a table that people put gifts on if they bring one? Then, they're not opened at the reception, right? So where are they being delivered to?
  • She (likely) means between the bride and groom. Sometimes they will each get each other something along with a sentimental note and open it before the wedding while getting ready. 
  • Someone explain this gift delivery thing to me? Is there not just a table that people put gifts on if they bring one? Then, they're not opened at the reception, right? So where are they being delivered to?
    It's like when the bride and groom are getting dressed separately and sending "hey honey, this is our wedding day" notes to each other.
    It's like when the bride and groom are getting dressed separately and sending "hey honey, this is our wedding day" notes to each other.
    My H left me a note in the hotel room. No need to involve anyone else. 
  • At 7yo, they're actually the PERFECT age for RB and FG!  They're young enough to be super cute, but old enough to take direction and handle the responsibilities there-of.  Now if they were going to be 12, that's a different discussion, but 7, absolute "perfect" age..  No kid that age wants to be hauling your gifts - really and handing out your programs is sort of a meh type thing because of the age.  I suspect it's a bit of projection that you don't want them in the actual WP or think that a kid in school isn't capable of walking in a line behind others.  Seven years old is not three to five, they won't get "stage fright". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards