Chit Chat
Options

Lottery

So we didn't win the big lottery that we bought 3 tickets for (shocker). So sad because I have been busy planning all the vacations we would take when we are super rich. What would you do with a ridiculous amount of money?

Re: Lottery

• Options
    Assuming we're talking megamillions here -
    • Give my parents anything and everything they want. Actually I'd probably just give them 1/4 to 1/3 of the cash. 
    • Buy land and build our dream home.
    • Build a cat sanctuary and support others in the US. Own 10-15 cats of my own with a couple doggies for good luck.
    • Buy my husband all kinds of cool prosthetic legs for various tasks and activities, and probably do some charity giving related to low-income or uninsured amputees.
    • Get whatever degree I want and take whatever jobs make me happy.
    • Put aside money for my nieces and nephews but make it really hard to get, like when they're 30 and they have to have a college degree first or something lol.
    • H wants me to say he'd buy half a dozen hobby cars.

If we won a medium amount of money, say no more than $20 million -
    • Give my parents a large gift.
    • Buy land and build dream home.
    • Support cat sanctuaries in the US. Own a bunch of cats and dogs.
    • Prosthetic legs and related charity giving.
    • Go to school full-time (without working during) then find a career that I can be happy with. (In the previous scenario I was imagining taking and leaving jobs as I pleased, but in this scenario I'd want something more steady.) 
    • Put aside smaller amount of money for nieces and nephews with same stipulations above.
    • ONE HOBBY CAR, H. JESUS. MAYBE TWO. GET OFF MY CASE. WE ARE ONLY SMALL MULTIMILLIONAIRES IN THIS SCENARIO.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Travel and buy a home at the beach. Save!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    Hire a body guard and install a home security system.
    Enroll in local university to study economics, investment, and tax laws.
    We already have what we need.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Pay off the mortgages of everyone in our families, probably try to buy my stepdad out of my mom's house and give it to my sister. We'd give money to our immediate families too, I'm sure.

Travel. A lot. Have a home for us here in Chicago, one in Montana and probably one somewhere south.

I'd go to every Bears game, home and away. But I like to think I'd keep my nosebleed seats at home and not get better ones. Poor people are more fun.

Charity for MDA, pancan, NAMI and dogs.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Pay off student loans, pay off mortgage, buy a beach home and probably an apartment in my home city. Travel all the time that I'm not working because I would absolutely keep my job. 

I would set up scholarships at the universities I went to and donate to programs getting girls into math and science. Also planned parenthood. 

I'd buy farm land and rescue animals and staff it with people who love animals and their sole job would be to pet and play with cats and dogs. 

I would buy a real Chanel bag. 
  • Options
    I'd pay off my mom's and brother's house. Buy myself and FI a couple new cars, a boat, a new house and some vacation property. I'd travel and donate to homeless shelters. 
  • Options
    travel, and find a home with a pool.  I want an indoor pool.

• Options
    Put at least half in long term savings. With the rest I'd pay off my husband's student loans and probably start looking for a house. And then we'd take my dream Disney vacation. If there was anything left over it would go into a different savings account for future rainy day fun.
  • Options
    Pay off our debts, and get my law degree and start a pro bono firm.

Travel, to all of the places.

Get my mom her own place with assistance as needed that increases as she becomes more disabled.  But it'd be gorgeous so when she does go fully blind she has no doubt she's living somewhere beautiful.
  • Options

I would quit my job and enroll in whatever classes sounded interesting at a local university. Maybe get a degree, maybe not.

Start an account for my son's, my niece's and future niece's college.

Travel a bunch like for long periods of time. Almost study abroad-ish in each place.

Buy some land that had lake frontage (for boats and toys) and river frontage and build a house over the river.

If it was megamillions, I'd try to start one of those things where kids who go to school in a certain (underprivileged) district are guaranteed paid college. No idea how that works or how much money it takes, but it sounds cool.

Invest. Like a lot of it. So that as my ideas/desires change over time, I can keep doing what I want (and never working).

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    Buy Downton Abbey. 
  • Options
    Travel!  Oh god so much travel!  I would spend at least a year just going from place to place as the mood struck us, staying in each place for weeks or months at a time.

Pay off the mortgage.  Possibly move to a more lavish home, although honestly I love our house.  I would at least get central air, like, yesterday.

I would buy a bunch of investment properties in a particular area of town that I love but that is economically disadvantaged.  I would fix them up really nice and rent some out at market rate for a profit and some would be housing for for people who need help getting back on their feet.

Long term, I would go back to school and probably get a job in charitable development.

• Options

Invest. Like a lot of it. So that as my ideas/desires change over time, I can keep doing what I want (and never working).

FI said he would still work if I won the lotto. Yeah. for like 2 weeks and then you'd get insanely jealous of all the travel and laying around I'd be doing.  

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Hire an attorney and a financial manager.

Pay off both our debts.

Pay for medical procedures we both need.

Make sure our parents and STBSD are provided for. 

Quit my job and go to school full-time. 

Buy our house and turn it into an LGBTQ sober house and hire our housemate as house manager.

Buy a house with plenty of room for the animals.

ETA: Forgot to add: Buy my brother and SIL a house.
  • Options

If we are talking about multimillions:

I'd put enough into an annuity to ensure that I would have a monthly income for life.

Pay off all my relatives' mortgages.

Send my parents on their dream vacation.

Donate at least a million to pay for advanced life support courses for my city's emergency department staff (right now staff have to pay for these courses themselves).

Take a year off and just travel.

Design and build a new house.

• Options
    Pay off our cars & house.
    Help my sister with medical bills for her son.
    (If I can) pay off my parents' house.
    Renovate my kitchen & master bathroom.
    Adopt a newborn.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm taking the lump sum and I want to remain anonymous. 
    I'd give each of my kids, my parents, my brother a huge chunk of money.
    buy a beach home.
    give our present home to a struggling family. 
    travel.
    I'm vain. I'd get my chin tightened, my tummy tucked. And those little cutlets under my arms that exercise doesn't touch - those would be gone.
    Enough for me, for now
    I'd supply the local school nurses with book bags, school supplies and gift cards for low income children to buy clothing.
    I'd make regular donations to
    the food pantry, including pet food.
    a charity that trains guide dogs for the blind.
    a charity that helps soldiers bring their dogs home from overseas.

• Options
    Take a nice vacation, which we haven't been able to do so far. 

Pay off our vehicle loan and the last little bit of H's student loan. 

Put enough away to buy property and a home when we figure out where to live. 

Buy H a business he's been looking at. 

Give some to my parents. 

Save and and invest the rest. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards