Chit Chat
Options

Neighbors Big Dogs- Worried for my little dogs

I moved into a new house about 2 months ago. I have a little 15 pound shih tzu pug, and just yesterday got a tiny 5 pound yorkie Maltese. My neighbors have 2 big dogs, maybe boxer or pit bull mixes. I am extremely scared these dogs are going to jump the fence, and hurt my dogs.
The first weekend we moved in, my dad was helping us out and cut our lawn. One of the dogs jumped up over (whole body not over, just head over) the fence when my dad was near it, and bit him. The dog luckily only got his sleeve and not his actual skin. Probably should have reported this, but since there was no injury, we didn't.
Since we've moved in, whenever these dogs are out at the same time as my dogs, they bark, growl, and jump at the fence. The neighbor says "they aren't aggressive, it's fine, they've never jumped over the fence or done anything." One already tried to bite my dad, and I know the previous owners did not have dogs, so feel like this is a different situation. One of the dogs could easily jump the fence, just don't think he realizes it, and I am scared that at some point he will.
On top of this, the dogs do not have collars. One of the times they were both out, the dogs were lunging at the fence, and the neighbor tried to grab them but couldn't even do so because there was nothing to grab onto.
Anyone have suggestions on if we can or should do anything about this? We have talked to the neighbor multiple times about our concerns, and he just says "it's fine." One of our requirements for a house was having a fenced in back yard so we could let our dogs out to be free and play, but at this point we feel that we have to basically be right next to them all the time :( Just scared that we won't be able to do something until it's too late and one of our dogs gets hurt :(

Re: Neighbors Big Dogs- Worried for my little dogs

• Options
    Report the incident STAT. I was seriously bit by a chow chow when I was little and only after the bite did it come out that the dog had bit other people but no one had reported it. I would also engage with the neighbours to let them know that the dog did jump the fence and that you are wanting to work with them to prevent a serious accident.
  • Options
    The fence is a regular, chain link fence. Unfortunately with just moving and getting married, there's no way we can afford to put in a new fence right now.
    Both dogs seem to be aggressive, but one is older and heavier- don't think he could jump the fence so not as concerned about this one.
    The neighbor was actually outside when the dog jumped and attempted to bite my dad- he said he was "just playing"- there was a large hole in the shirt so it obviously was an actual bite. Again, didn't see it as a problem. He always acts nice, just truly doesn't think there is a problem, and therefore isn't willing to change anything to solve it.
    I will be contacting the dog warden. I am also fairly sure that it is a requirement to have a dog license and wear a collar, so maybe can at least get that accomplished. Would I also file a report through the dog warden, or is that through the police?
  • Options
    I understand the budget issues but would make a new fence a top priority, especially since it is a chain link fence. I had a weimeraner growing up and he climbed our chain link fence - not to attack anyone just to get out!
  • Options
    Check the regulations in your county, they typically govern dog behavior. Do they need to be licensed? If so they should be wearing collars at all times. 

I afree with PPs that you should report the incident, all you'll need is the date, time, owners names and description of the pet and what happened. If a bite happens again report it right away. If your county has a canine bureau report it there, if not you can call the police and they will either take the report or transfer you to the appropriate division. 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The fence is a regular, chain link fence. Unfortunately with just moving and getting married, there's no way we can afford to put in a new fence right now.
    Both dogs seem to be aggressive, but one is older and heavier- don't think he could jump the fence so not as concerned about this one.
    The neighbor was actually outside when the dog jumped and attempted to bite my dad- he said he was "just playing"- there was a large hole in the shirt so it obviously was an actual bite. Again, didn't see it as a problem. He always acts nice, just truly doesn't think there is a problem, and therefore isn't willing to change anything to solve it.
    I will be contacting the dog warden. I am also fairly sure that it is a requirement to have a dog license and wear a collar, so maybe can at least get that accomplished. Would I also file a report through the dog warden, or is that through the police?
    Contact the dog warden first and take his advice. He'll probably visit the neighbor to observe the dogs behavior. It would be great if the warden would allow you to call him when the dogs are out and you could let your little dogs out just so he can see the situation. He may order the pitbull's owners to dog proof the fence. 

In my daughter's case: She and SIL were walking their boxer, when the pitbull climbed the chain link fence and escaped. The dog went for the boxer and bit her. My SIL fought like hell until the owner intervened. They reported to the dog warden, who had multiple reports on this animal and the irresponsible owners. Dog Warden filed police report. The dog was ordered to be quarantined so the owner conveniently re-homed him. Daughter was in the process of moving so I don't know the outcome of that case. 

In the meantime, don't allow your dogs outside alone. That chain link fence should not be considered a barrier for a pit bull or boxer. Google 'pitbulls climbing fences.' If the fence gets built up or replaced, consider that most dogs are diggers and given enough time, will dig under a fence, so you must check both sides of the fence daily.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    @Subwayloves I found this great article on dog fences. Especially interesting is the section on fence reactive dogs. The suggestion is to weave vinyl strips through the hurricane fence to block the dogs view. Brilliant! I still wouldn't leave the little ones out alone, but it might help for awhile.

http://wolfdogproject.com/fencing.html

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I just want to add a likely unpopular thought to the discussion.  Since the neighbor with the aggressive dogs was already there, and you moved next door to him, you might run into some pushback from him about changes he has to make to his yard.  Just you are prepared.  I'm thinking of this from a legal perspective.....when people go to where a nuisance already exists and then want to sue. (not saying that you are trying to sue him, but the same thought process applies)

Good luck!

• Options
    kaos16 said:

I just want to add a likely unpopular thought to the discussion.  Since the neighbor with the aggressive dogs was already there, and you moved next door to him, you might run into some pushback from him about changes he has to make to his yard.  Just you are prepared.  I'm thinking of this from a legal perspective.....when people go to where a nuisance already exists and then want to sue. (not saying that you are trying to sue him, but the same thought process applies)

Good luck!

Except that the neighbor/dogs are the ones violating regulations and/or laws by not restricting the dogs to their own property. Someone is not immune from laws and regulations because no one had a problem with them violating them in the past and a new neighbor does have a problem with them currently violating the regulations. 

A nuisance example would be if you bought a house next to a derelict peppery, then tried to force the owner of the property to make changes to the derelict property because it affects your property values. You knew about the house when you bought, and thus should have known about the impact on property values.

1) There is no way the OP could have reasonably known the neighbors would not keep their dogs on their own property/obey existing regulations or laws and 2) if the dogs are creating a dangerous situation they can (depending on the state and county) be quarantined at the owners expense, regardless of whether the OP knew the fence might be inadequate. 
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    kaos16 said:

Good luck!

Except that the neighbor/dogs are the ones violating regulations and/or laws by not restricting the dogs to their own property. Someone is not immune from laws and regulations because no one had a problem with them violating them in the past and a new neighbor does have a problem with them currently violating the regulations. 

A nuisance example would be if you bought a house next to a derelict peppery, then tried to force the owner of the property to make changes to the derelict property because it affects your property values. You knew about the house when you bought, and thus should have known about the impact on property values.

1) There is no way the OP could have reasonably known the neighbors would not keep their dogs on their own property/obey existing regulations or laws and 2) if the dogs are creating a dangerous situation they can (depending on the state and county) be quarantined at the owners expense, regardless of whether the OP knew the fence might be inadequate. 

as I stated, that was a comparison. . . . I'm not suggesting that the big dog owner would be correct, just that there is a bog probability of him saying he was there first and therefore shouldn't have to change anything.  Just something OP might want to be aware of since it seems like dealing with this neighbor might be a long road!

• Options
    Build your own fence if you want to be able to let your dogs out. Surely his fence is only on one side of the yard right? Or if you have a side yard consider fencing in just that, or a portion of your back yard that isn't adjacent to his. 

Obviously yes he should secure his dogs, but that's a long fight. 
  • Options
    Build your own fence if you want to be able to let your dogs out. Surely his fence is only on one side of the yard right? Or if you have a side yard consider fencing in just that, or a portion of your back yard that isn't adjacent to his. 

It is OP's fence. The neighbor dog can lunge over it.
  • Options

Then she can build a taller fence.

I agree that the lunging over is an issue, but the dogs haven't actually jumped the fence and gotten out. The neighbor is not likely to consider the fence a problem unless/until they do. Sure, you can go to all the trouble to file complaints and try to start a legal battle that may or may not be successful (I'm not sure that there's anything the county will do if the dogs haven't technically gotten out), or you can make it a priority and build a higher fence.

As they say, good fences make good neighbors. 
  • Options

Oh my bad sorry! I still think the solution is a better fence though. 
  • Options

I agree that the lunging over is an issue, but the dogs haven't actually jumped the fence and gotten out. The neighbor is not likely to consider the fence a problem unless/until they do. Sure, you can go to all the trouble to file complaints and try to start a legal battle that may or may not be successful (I'm not sure that there's anything the county will do if the dogs haven't technically gotten out), or you can make it a priority and build a higher fence.

Maybe, maybe not. Some neighborhoods have limits on the kind of fence (including height) an homeowner can build. I don't know if OP's does, but she has also said they don't have the budget right now to build a new fence. No the dogs haven't gotten out but one has snapped at and torn a person's clothing while lunging over the fence. It doesn't hurt to start documenting issues by filing complaints. Just for the record I am a huge dog lover and very anti-suing but following legal routes maybe the way to go in this case.
  • Options

Maybe, maybe not. Some neighborhoods have limits on the kind of fence (including height) an homeowner can build. I don't know if OP's does, but she has also said they don't have the budget right now to build a new fence. No the dogs haven't gotten out but one has snapped at and torn a person's clothing while lunging over the fence. It doesn't hurt to start documenting issues by filing complaints. Just for the record I am a huge dog lover and very anti-suing but following legal routes maybe the way to go in this case.
    The dog has not "jumped over", but his head has came over and bit someone. This is exactly what I'm saying I'm worried about- nothing has happened to my dogs yet, but I don't want to have to wait until it's too late and something does happen.
    We also do not want to start a feud with these new neighbors, which is why I wish they would just at least listen to my concerns.
  • Options
    kaos16 said:
    kaos16 said:

Good luck!

as I stated, that was a comparison. . . . I'm not suggesting that the big dog owner would be correct, just that there is a bog probability of him saying he was there first and therefore shouldn't have to change anything.  Just something OP might want to be aware of since it seems like dealing with this neighbor might be a long road!

I'm not sure what who was there first has to do with anything. They're the ones who have dogs that are misbehaving, possibly dangerous, and not doing anything about it. I don't feel like I should have to constantly worry about my dogs being outside just because they had these dogs before I moved in. I am more worried about things being difficult because no one has actually been hurt yet, not because I moved in after these people.
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    Report the incident STAT. I was seriously bit by a chow chow when I was little and only after the bite did it come out that the dog had bit other people but no one had reported it. I would also engage with the neighbours to let them know that the dog did jump the fence and that you are wanting to work with them to prevent a serious accident.

Just as an aside, chow chows are considered one of the most aggressive dog breeds and have one of the highest bite incidents (in comparison to size of their population in the U.S.).  For those reasons, they are typically one of the "banned" breeds on a homeowner's insurance policy.  Sorry you were a victim to one as a child!

For the OP.  In regards to your neighbor, is it just me or does it seem like there are people out there living in a completely different reality from our own?  Snarling, growling, and biting hard enough to take a chunk out of clothing is not "playing" in anyone's mind but his.

I agree with the other PPs.  It's not fair, but the best solution is to extend the fence higher and with something they can't grab onto.  I'd make it a priority in my budget and, in the meantime, put in the slats that @MairePoppy was describing.  I believe they are pretty inexpensive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Just as an aside, chow chows are considered one of the most aggressive dog breeds and have one of the highest bite incidents (in comparison to size of their population in the U.S.).  For those reasons, they are typically one of the "banned" breeds on a homeowner's insurance policy.  Sorry you were a victim to one as a child!

For the OP.  In regards to your neighbor, is it just me or does it seem like there are people out there living in a completely different reality from our own?  Snarling, growling, and biting hard enough to take a chunk out of clothing is not "playing" in anyone's mind but his.

I agree with the other PPs.  It's not fair, but the best solution is to extend the fence higher and with something they can't grab onto.  I'd make it a priority in my budget and, in the meantime, put in the slats that @MairePoppy was describing.  I believe they are pretty inexpensive.

I actually felt bad for the chow who was put down after my incident. It wasn't the dog's fault, but the owners for not training and securing their dog properly. I can still see the scars - bit right through a winter jacket!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards