Wedding Etiquette Forum

Which Dress is Appropriate For a Summer Wedding? (pics)

I have 2 options:
1) Black and white pattern that hits below the knee,
2) cotton navy dress with white dots that hits above the knee, or

Problems:
1) I'm wondering if dress 1 has too much white in it... is it ok to wear white and black?
2) I'm wondering if dress 2 is too short and too casual for a wedding. It is made of cotton. 

Additional Info:
I would wear a pearl necklace with 1 and 2. I would keep other jewelry simple. 

I will try to attach photos. 

Dress 1 above

Dress 2 above

What should I wear?

Re: Which Dress is Appropriate For a Summer Wedding? (pics)

• Either dress is perfectly fine. There is very little difference in my opinion and yes it is perfectly acceptable to wear black and white to a wedding. That being said, it also depends on the type of wedding. Is it a formal, after 5:00 in the evening in a church with reception at a formal venue type of wedding or is it an afternoon wedding? Either would be fine in the afternoon, maybe #1 more appropriate for a more formal wedding.
  • Could you post photos of yourself in the dresses?  Both look really similar to me.   I think they're fine for a more casual every.  
  • Both look cute and plenty appropriate for a normal summer wedding!  Unless you have been told that the wedding is black tie or it is being held at night somewhere super-duper formal you should be just fine.  The "prohibition" on wearing white applies to something that might look like a bridal gown, not anything with any white in the design.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    They're both fine. 

ETA: Neither of them have "too much white." I get not being comfortable wearing an actual white dress, but a dark dress with a white pattern? Pffffft. My bridesmaid's dresses had white polka dots. It never occurred to me or them that this would be "too much white." 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm always a fan of polka dots. I'd vote for that one. Ditto what PPs have said about time of wedding or black-tie dress code.
  • edited July 2016
    I will check
  • The wedding starts at 4:30pm and is held in a university's performing arts center with modern architechture. I'm assuming the venue isn't the fanciest of places (not a formal venue) but still very nice.
  • I found a picture of the venue 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I prefer dress 1 for this event (#2 is more casual) but either would be appropriate. 
  • I like both dresses but I think dress 1 is a little better for a wedding. Don't worry about there being white in the dress. 
  • My response is the same as it was on the Attire board post; either is appropriate although I tend to opt for color at weddings. 

Curious why you posted this again since you're getting the same advice here?
  • With that venue, I would say either one works.  I'm a little more partial to number 2 but its just my opinion.
  • 1) neither have too much white - you're fine

2) that venue is amazingly cool!

3) I think either are fine for the venue/time, but if you go with #2, you could swank it up with some nice shoes/accessories.

*********************************************************************************

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    Neither dress has too much white, but I think the first dress will be a little more appropriate. The second one looks a little too casual for a wedding in that venue.
  • The second one is really casual. I vote for the first.
  • For me both the dresses are  cool for this summer wedding season. Please post your pictures with these dresses than only you'll get better suggestions.
  • The amount of white in either dress is fine. Personally, I find them a little too casual though. 
  • For me both the dresses are  cool for this summer wedding season. Please post your pictures with these dresses than only you'll get better suggestions.

I'm assuming you want pictures with the poster in the dresses? I don't think it makes much of a difference. I wouldn't want my face on a public forum and without the face, it really doesn't make a difference.
  • OP, you can totally dress either of them up with some nice heels/jewelry/bags/makeup. 
    I have this one polka dot dress that I can wear with flats and a cute bag to go out with friends. Then I can wear these cute heels, a pretty clutch and evening makeup and I look ready for a fancy dinner. 

I do like #1 a little better for the wedding though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards