Wedding Woes

This poor kid.

Dear Prudence, 
My 17-year-old cousin recently came out to his parents after they walked in on him with his boyfriend. They had a long conversation and he asked them to keep his orientation secret for now. Unfortunately, my uncle couldn’t do this, and now almost the entire family knows. I haven’t told anyone, but I have talked with several family members about how sexuality is very personal and we should respect his privacy by letting him inform people in his own time. We have a big family event coming up soon. The majority of our family is not subtle or tactful and we have a lot of very conservative older relatives. If it were me, I would want to know that everyone knew before walking into the event so I could choose whether or not to attend. Should I tell my cousin that one of his parents let it slip? Or just let it go and hope for the best?

—Revealing a Not-So-Secret

Re: This poor kid.

• I would not want to be blindsided at a big family event with this. Coming out, especially to family, should be a choice made only when the individual is ready.  The cousin clearly wasn't ready to come out, or he would have said something to the family before his parents walked in on him.  I find it tactless, tasteless, and so cruel that the kid's dad spilled the beans.  It wasn't his news to tell.

Say something, so the kid has some warning of what he may be about to walk into.  Give him the information he needs to decide if he's ready to handle this.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Uncle sucks and never should have done that. 

Also, Banana's wording is perfect. 
  • @banana468  Hope everything went well for your brother! And your wording is perfect!

Poor kid is right though :( No one wants their secrets outed to family - regardless of the secret.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards