Wedding Woes

Fork in the unwanted pregnancy road

Re: Fork in the unwanted pregnancy road

• Can I just say how much I hate-hate-hate the missing Edit button?  I used IMO twice above, and it's driving me nuts.  Argh.
  • VarunaTT said:
    The birth control pill has been around for more than half a century.  We totally and completely know it's (low) risks, short and long term, and how to mitigate them.  All you have to do is read the ginourmous pamphlet that comes with them.  Even IUDs are considered safe and effective at this point in time (again, wit nearly 50 years between their failures and now), with known risks.  It is a MYTH shoved out by pro-life agendas that we don't know the risks of birth control.  

These kinds of statements make me irate, b/c it's a common tactic of fear propaganda about birth control, GMOs, and other "science" stuff that people can't be bothered to educate themselves on.
    Yep, I was on birth control pills for 20 years without so much as a pregnancy scare. The problem came when another medication I was on went up in dosage and I wasn't told that it could possibly negate the effects of the birth control pill and that I should have been using other birth control. 
  • Heffalump said:
    Can I just say how much I hate-hate-hate the missing Edit button?  I used IMO twice above, and it's driving me nuts.  Argh.
    Ditto!!  I miss that feature overall when it comes to TK!! 
  • Has she even considered adoption would be the follow-up question...  The LW IMO is thinking black & white with PG hormones, not that there are a million other shades of grey and options to consider as well with her SO.. 

• Choice is choice is choice. No one else should have a say in whether someone elses motives are 'worthy'. 
    I'm not having a say whether her motives are worthy. I don't get a say in what anyone does with their body. I get to have an opinion, though, just as you do.
  • Choice is choice is choice. No one else should have a say in whether someone elses motives are 'worthy'. 
    I'm not having a say whether her motives are worthy. I don't get a say in what anyone does with their body. I get to have an opinion, though, just as you do.
    Of course you do. I didn't say you shouldn't? I was just voicing my opinion back. I think you might be reading more than is there.

• Of course you do. I didn't say you shouldn't? I was just voicing my opinion back. I think you might be reading more than is there.
    Quite possibly! I tend to take things very personally.
    Ok, but you did say you're "pro-choice but this letter has me questioning how far I think that choice should go". That implies limits on the choice of whether or not terminate a pregnancy. My concern is that it is a dangerous slope; so if LW shouldn't be allowed to abort (bc she's married, healthy, young, an adult, she wants kinds someday but not now, whatever it is that is making you uncomfortable here), where does it end? What scenarios are acceptable and what aren't? I don't mean this aggressively, I really just have a hard time understanding why an abortion is ok in some cases but not in others. 

I also feel like I have to point out she's not deciding between travel and her child's life; she's deciding between a life she and her husband envisioned for themselves and one they didn't. Also, that makes it sound like she's deciding between flying off to Europe or taking the life of a living, breathing child. That's not what this is. 

This!

My life that I've created with my FI would change quite a bit if a kid entered. We leave at the drop of a hat to travel which would change (not that we wouldn't travel but how and when might have to), give to a variety of charities (money that might be spent differently), look after nieces and nephews (which may not happen if we were dealing with children on our own), live in 500 square ft (which might be possible with a kid, but I could see being tight), drive cars that don't have room for infant seats (requiring purchasing new vehicles and selling the old ones), both working full time (would one of us choose to stay at home and raise a kid and then create a new budget for one income) ...

• @charlotte989875 I would never want the government to have a say in who has access to abortion. It's just my personal thoughts are that this instance seems selfish. TO ME. If I really think about it, though, most abortions are done for selfish reasons, so this one isn't any different. 

As for the life she envisioned...eh. Hardly, no one ever really lives the life they envisioned for themselves. I never pictured I'd be 39 before I finished school. I never pictured that I'd have 3 kids. I never pictured that I'd be married more than once. I never pictured I'd live in a crappy neighborhood, but still be proud of my home. The list goes on, you know. 
  • @glasgowtolondon I'm not explaining myself very well. When I said "most are done for selfish reasons" that was my way of telling myself that since I don't have a problem with other reasons, I shouldn't have a problem with LW's. If LW was a close friend and came to me with this issue, I'd tell her I'd help her with whatever she needed, but that I couldn't give her advice. 
  • Can you at least see how your situations are similar though?  Both of you could be judged for not exercising more restraint and preventing unplanned pregnancies.  The only difference is you believe you are able and ready to take on [an additional] child and she does not.  

Or let's throw out a scenario like my mom, who was not prepared for a pregnancy and went through with it anyway because she was married.  Is she a better person or did she make a better choice because she chose to be a shitty mom over an abortion?  Or is the better person the person who knows they cannot be a parent at that time and makes a medically legal choice to terminate?

That's why choice is choice is choice is choice.  
    This wasn't completely unplanned. I don't necessarily believe that I'm ready and able to take on another child which is why I'm a bit freaked about it. 

Just because I have thoughts that I'd keep to myself in person, doesn't mean I wish to impose those thoughts on anyone else. 
  • What I find kind of interesting is the LW chose to write to Prudie. I think there is different advice that we'd give as advice columnists / anonymous internet people, and advice we'd give as a person's friend. 
    I have a close friend who told me she'd just had an abortion, and of course I listened and offered my support, and given her situation I think she made the right choice. 
    If LW was my best friend, however, I'd probably give her different advice- I'd advise her to keep it. We know very little about LW, but she's married, and didn't envision herself having kids for a few more years. She didn't say anything in the letter that leads me to believe their current environment is detrimental to having kids. They want them, just not right now (and 5 years is not that far away!). And I've had three close friends with surprise babies that didn't have the best financial or relationship situations, and had their babies and are doing fine raising the children and adore their children. Everyone says you're never truly ready to have kids. If LW wants them in the future, well, the future is now, in my humble opinion. 
    But again, difference between what I'd say to a friend ("you can do this, hang in there, I'll support you") and what I'd say to a stranger ("the choice is yours and your husband's alone and no one can fault you"). 

• In my current situation (stable job, good marriage, early 30s), I don't think I'd abort unless there was a health concern (DK would love to have another one) - but - based on my only pregnancy and all of the complications, if I was in a different situation I might choose to abort rather than go through with an unwanted pregnancy and give the baby up for adoption. That said, I have an IUD, and we use additional protection, so while possible, extremely unlikely - when it's off the table completely, we'll get tubes tied/vasectomy. 

I understand where the LW is coming from with being young and wanting to be established/stable before having kids - DK and I got married at 23, and we planned to wait for 3-5 years.

I think that Prudie gave her good advice. I would say that you're never going to be fully ready to be a parent, but I think that giving yourself time to try and prepare, gain some stability and life experience, and continue to build her relationship with her H may make her path easier. 

I'm pro choice - it should be up to the woman/her partner to decide, and ultimately she should have the final say as it's her body. I wish we had better resources in the US for sex education/family planning/new parents.  
  • @charlotte989875 I would never want the government to have a say in who has access to abortion. It's just my personal thoughts are that this instance seems selfish. TO ME. If I really think about it, though, most abortions are done for selfish reasons, so this one isn't any different. 

As for the life she envisioned...eh. Hardly, no one ever really lives the life they envisioned for themselves. I never pictured I'd be 39 before I finished school. I never pictured that I'd have 3 kids. I never pictured that I'd be married more than once. I never pictured I'd live in a crappy neighborhood, but still be proud of my home. The list goes on, you know. 

Putting yourself and your wants/needs first =/= selfish
    SITB Except sometimes putting yourself and your wants/needs first IS selfish  ... I think you mean that in this particular case, it is not selfish.
    The problem, here, however, is that this is the perfect storm for regretting an abortion in the future.  Society has been looking at abortion like it's a great thing (keep in mind I'm Canadian, so that's more the opinion here), but there are still huge repercussions, even when it is the best solution.  In this case, it's an acceptable solution to LW at the very most - she seems to be very upset at the timing of it, but not at the idea of having the child.  She needs to think about the psychological and emotion repercussions of an abortion.  It is never just a physical thing.  

• TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    kerbohl said:
    @charlotte989875 I would never want the government to have a say in who has access to abortion. It's just my personal thoughts are that this instance seems selfish. TO ME. If I really think about it, though, most abortions are done for selfish reasons, so this one isn't any different. 

Putting yourself and your wants/needs first =/= selfish
    SITB Except sometimes putting yourself and your wants/needs first IS selfish  ... I think you mean that in this particular case, it is not selfish.
    The problem, here, however, is that this is the perfect storm for regretting an abortion in the future.  Society has been looking at abortion like it's a great thing (keep in mind I'm Canadian, so that's more the opinion here), but there are still huge repercussions, even when it is the best solution.  In this case, it's an acceptable solution to LW at the very most - she seems to be very upset at the timing of it, but not at the idea of having the child.  She needs to think about the psychological and emotion repercussions of an abortion.  It is never just a physical thing.  
    If you are Canadian then you know that abortion wasn't legal for all women here until 1988. Before that they had to have their husband's consent or barring that 2 doctors signing off on it.

There are parts of THIS country (Canada)that don't have adequate access to abortion or proper maternal health care especially in the North or on Reserves. Oftentimes, these women don't even have a choice so get off your sanctimonious high horse. The LW has a right to choose, a hard fought for right.

ETF: Angry typing on a phone
  • @ShesSoCold you're right. When I think of the word selfish, I don't necessarily think of it as a strict negative. When I say selfish, I mean putting myself first. When I hide the pop-tarts because I want the last one, to me, that's selfish. I maybe need to find a better word.

@mrs.conn23 I've seen that study, too. It's an incredibly low percentage that feel any regret about their decision. Your point about pro-birthers is the reason I am pro-choice. These people who want to force a woman to birth a baby are the same ones bitching about having to pay $6 in taxes a year (on average) for welfare benefits for that same person. 

The US is abysmal, especially in the bible belt where I am, about sex education. They only want to teach abstinence and that has literally never worked. Want to give teens easier access to BC? Oh hell no! That promotes promiscuity. If that little slut doesn't want a baby she should keep her legs closed. <--I've actually seen this said. Gross, right? Everyone wants lower abortion rates where I am, but they're not willing to do a damn thing to help get them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards