Chit Chat

Failure to start

2»

Re: Failure to start

• so either I'm still not explaining myself or everyone else here cared about no one else's opinion but their own. I don't want my mother to do the work for me I want my mothers opinion and to share the memories of this occasion with her. Its the only time I will get married or have anything important that I can actually plan from the ground up. Every other occasion in a persons life all ready has most of the details planned out without you, like graduations or births or baptisms. A wedding is unique and special occasion. Why the hell would I want to exclude one of the people in my life who is supposed to love me unconditionally. Its her accomplishment as well to see her daughter married and happy. Why is it such a bad thing that I want her to be as much a part of it as I do my Fi who by the way has no fashion since what so ever which means the only answers I'll get are "if you that's what you want dear." which is utterly useless as a real opinion
    I really do understand where you're coming from; you want to share these experiences with your mother. 

But it here's the thing, for whatever reason your mother can't or won't be there in the way that you want her to be. That sucks and it's sad, but unfortunately she's probably not going to suddenly change and be super into the planning or the wedding. My Mom made planning difficult, either she wanted everything done her way or she wanted nothing to do with it. She would change her mind on a whim. It was stressful. 

However I accepted that she was not going to be there for me in the ways I wanted and let go of the idea that she would be. My mother is flawed and sometimes does and says really hurtful things. That is about her and I can't let that dictate how I feel. The advice in previous posts isn't meant to make you feel bad about being sad that she isn't involved, but rather to hopefully explain that if she isn't there for you the way you want (and often times parents aren't) then you need to find a way to make yourself happy and surround yourself with people who do love you in the way you need. Starting with yourself and your FI. I promise in the long run this is for the best. 
  • so either I'm still not explaining myself or everyone else here cared about no one else's opinion but their own. I don't want my mother to do the work for me I want my mothers opinion and to share the memories of this occasion with her. Its the only time I will get married or have anything important that I can actually plan from the ground up. Every other occasion in a persons life all ready has most of the details planned out without you, like graduations or births or baptisms. A wedding is unique and special occasion. Why the hell would I want to exclude one of the people in my life who is supposed to love me unconditionally. Its her accomplishment as well to see her daughter married and happy. Why is it such a bad thing that I want her to be as much a part of it as I do my Fi who by the way has no fashion since what so ever which means the only answers I'll get are "if you that's what you want dear." which is utterly useless as a real opinion
    I really do understand where you're coming from; you want to share these experiences with your mother. 

But it here's the thing, for whatever reason your mother can't or won't be there in the way that you want her to be. That sucks and it's sad, but unfortunately she's probably not going to suddenly change and be super into the planning or the wedding. My Mom made planning difficult, either she wanted everything done her way or she wanted nothing to do with it. She would change her mind on a whim. It was stressful. 

However I accepted that she was not going to be there for me in the ways I wanted and let go of the idea that she would be. My mother is flawed and sometimes does and says really hurtful things. That is about her and I can't let that dictate how I feel. The advice in previous posts isn't meant to make you feel bad about being sad that she isn't involved, but rather to hopefully explain that if she isn't there for you the way you want (and often times parents aren't) then you need to find a way to make yourself happy and surround yourself with people who do love you in the way you need. Starting with yourself and your FI. I promise in the long run this is for the best. 
    OP has gotten some good advice on this thread. My own experience with my mother is this: my mother loves me and has always been supportive of my major life's ambitions and achievements. My mom was happy for me when I told her H and I were getting married and she likes my H (but as has been said, getting married is not an achievement). My mom is not a party planning type of person. She had no interest in helping me pick out a wedding dress or many other aspects of the wedding. She does love flowers and gardening so I consulted with her on types of flowers that would be hardy and not wilt, flowers that are common in the colors I wanted, etc. She also came to town a couple of days before the wedding because she wanted to help me run errands and make sure I wasn't stressed, and she also went to the venue to check on the set-up the day of because she is good at and likes directing people. In other words, she helped in the ways she wanted to and I tried to include her in the aspects of the wedding that appeal to her interests.

Do not expect your mother to help you with everything, in fact, expect her to help with nothing and be pleasantly surprised if she wants to help you at all. Consider the types of things she likes and ask for her input where her interests collide with your planning. If she is not interested then do not push her. And certainly do not expect anyone to help you financially with your wedding. Plan the wedding you can afford yourselves. 
  • Some people just don't want to participate in the way you wish they would, if you stand around twiddling your thumbs waiting for them to change just because you're getting married you're going to have some buff thumb muscles and no wedding.

She's already shown you her level of participation, and just because family affairs are common where you are it doesn't mean you will have the same experience. If you want to get married, do it! Plan and pay for the wedding you and your fiance can afford and manage and enjoy your life. Weddings aren't accomplishments and they don't change people, you expecting it to is why you keep stalling.

You can have all the dreams and make all the plans in the world, but reality won't follow along and you have to adapt or accept. So do you want to change your plans/vision or do you want to never get married because your mom won't help? That's a decision only you can make, but your wedding is about you and your fiance and they might feel differently re: waiting or doing it yourselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards