Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Who to invite to rehearsal?? S.O.S

For our rehearsal dinner I am struggling with who to invite for plus ones. All of my bridesmaids have S.O's except one who has a received a plus one to the wedding (which my fiance was furious about (which is ridiculous). One of my bridesmaids is married and is travelling up from NYC (the wedding is in MA). Another bridesmaid is also carpooling with the couple above  and bringing her long time boyfriend. My sister's boyfriend is def coming to the rehearsal dinner as it's my MOH and he should be there. But my other two bridesmaids I don't know what to do, one is single and received a plus one to the wedding (which she is bringing a random guy from VT) and the other's boyfriend is local. We want this dinner to be intimate I don't want to have everyone and their brother there ..... what do I do???

Re: Who to invite to rehearsal?? S.O.S

• Options

Everyone who is at the rehearsal goes to the dinner.  I would include everyone's dates/SO's/or travel companions, it is only fair that they get fed (especially if they are carpooling with others!).  If you can I would also include the plus one's of any local people as well.

• Options
    Invite all the SO/dates/plus ones.        It's easy as that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. All SOs should be invited to the RD. The one who is traveling from out of time who isn't a SO should also be invited because they are the plus one of an OOT guest. I think I read somewhere on TK that if a true plus one (i.e. not a SO) is local they don't have to be invited to the RD. Hope I didn't dream that!
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. All SOs should be invited to the RD. The one who is traveling from out of time who isn't a SO should also be invited because they are the plus one of an OOT guest. I think I read somewhere on TK that if a true plus one (i.e. not a SO) is local they don't have to be invited to the RD. Hope I didn't dream that!
    I agree with that statement.  However, nothing it set in stone.  I wouldn't exclude one person in this case.    They might not come anyway, but is it really worth excluding one person's, by default is one of your nearest and dearest, date? I personally do not think so.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    I never understand why it's even a question whether or not someone's SO would be invited. 
    exactly.   The SOS is self-imposed.   Just invite them all and move on to a real problem.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I agree with that statement.  However, nothing it set in stone.  I wouldn't exclude one person in this case.    They might not come anyway, but is it really worth excluding one person's, by default is one of your nearest and dearest, date? I personally do not think so.
    I totally agree, I just meant according to etiquette. I would invite the plus one also.
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    OP, I understand wanting to have an intimate event and I understand that it can be expensive to add heads.

But the thing is that a rehearsal dinner is a social event. And at a social event you have to invite social units. This means that inviting all SOs is non-negotiable.

Also, part of throwing a wedding and throwing a RD is being a good hostess and taking your friends feelings into consideration. How do you think your friend will feel if she's told she must leave her date in the hotel that night? And while the RD and wedding are not the same thing, that BM's friend is an invited guest to your wedding, so he may feel very unwelcome being told to sit out. Also, how would your friend feel if she was the only person at the table that wasn't allowed to bring her wedding date to the RD?

Going to the rehearsal isn't necessarily totally fun for a BP member. It's a time commitment and frankly often a tad boring. The RD is a thank you to your BP for going to the rehearsal. Thank your BP by letting them all enjoy dinner with their dates. Separating them from their SOs/traveling companions for an even longer stretch of time isn't the best thank you.
  • Options
    JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    OP: I had a bride pull what you're planning. She had 8 bridesmaids and invited some of their significant others. I was the only one engaged at the time - was getting married two months after her wedding - and she decided not to invite my fiancé. She argued cost and that I didn't "live far away" (I was from out of state and it was a 50 min drive one way to the RD). 

Her and I aren't friends anymore. She later disrespected me AFTER her wedding, and the RD was the icing.
  • Options
    JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Read my thread. It comes from the bridesmaid's perspective, and it's the advice that was given to me that you should read.

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1037038/no-bridesmaid-sos-invited-to-rehearsal-dinner/p1
  • Options
    Sherbie25 said:
    For our rehearsal dinner I am struggling with who to invite for plus ones. All of my bridesmaids have S.O's except one who has a received a plus one to the wedding (which my fiance was furious about (which is ridiculous). One of my bridesmaids is married and is travelling up from NYC (the wedding is in MA). Another bridesmaid is also carpooling with the couple above  and bringing her long time boyfriend. My sister's boyfriend is def coming to the rehearsal dinner as it's my MOH and he should be there. But my other two bridesmaids I don't know what to do, one is single and received a plus one to the wedding (which she is bringing a random guy from VT) and the other's boyfriend is local. We want this dinner to be intimate I don't want to have everyone and their brother there ..... what do I do???
    I also find this disconcerting. Why on earth would he be furious about this?
    Some people don't like the idea of complete strangers at their wedding. If someone you haven't met yet comes to your wedding as part of a social unit with a dear friend or relative, that's one thing -- that's meeting someone you're likely to want to spend time with in the future, or at least likely to encounter again. But it's a little different when that connection isn't there.

Of course, since this one bridesmaid is apparently the only one not part of a social unit, it would seem a bit odd to leave her the only one without a date. But only a bit.
  • Options
    I wasn't invited to bring a date to my brother's wedding, in which I was a bridesmaid, although I wasn't in a relationship at the time.

But there was so much family stuff going on that I don't think I would have gotten to spend any time with my date if I'd gotten an invitation for a plus-one, so it might be just as well.
  • Options
    We had several strangers at my wedding as there were several people whose spouses we had never met, let alone the SOs and plus ones!  I didn't even meet my husband's mother or brother and sister until the rehearsal. This whole "Strangers at my wedding?!?! Egads!" shit is absurd. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I've been on the other side of the bridesmaid SO debacle: I was told that at 21 I was to tell anyone that asked that my bf was my FI, great friends with bride and groom (he had never met either).But we lived far away, first non-family wedding for either of us so...

Blew up in brides face after someone passed mic to (also 21, now DH) who made a toast using the wrong name for the groom. The other bridesmaids, cousins etc. were pissed when they found out.

• Options
    lnixon8 said:
    I've been on the other side of the bridesmaid SO debacle: I was told that at 21 I was to tell anyone that asked that my bf was my FI, great friends with bride and groom (he had never met either).But we lived far away, first non-family wedding for either of us so...

Blew up in brides face after someone passed mic to (also 21, now DH) who made a toast using the wrong name for the groom. The other bridesmaids, cousins etc. were pissed when they found out.
    Why did you have to do this? 
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:

Why did you have to do this? 
    Or better yet, why did you AGREE to do it?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I know two people who had rehearsal dinners strictly with parents of the bride/groom and their wedding party. No +ones or dates. Nobody cared or cried about how rude it was because it was one financially better for the couple already stretched on their limit and 2 because...who cares lol?

That being said if you are inviting everyone else's SO then everyone should get one, I would be annoyed if i was told no to mine but arrived and everyone else had theirs.

So basically either they should all get one or none of them.
  • Options
    I know two people who had rehearsal dinners strictly with parents of the bride/groom and their wedding party. No +ones or dates. Nobody cared or cried about how rude it was because it was one financially better for the couple already stretched on their limit and 2 because...who cares lol?

That being said if you are inviting everyone else's SO then everyone should get one, I would be annoyed if i was told no to mine but arrived and everyone else had theirs.

So basically either they should all get one or none of them.
    If I'm in a wedding or DH is and only one of us is invited to the RD, you can bet I would not say"I don't care." 

• Options
    I wasn't invited a RD for a wedding my husband was BM for. I was not okay with that; it definitely felt like a slight to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards