Flowers

Has anyone had a florist do their bouquet and then made DIY ones for

Re: Has anyone had a florist do their bouquet and then made DIY ones for

• edited July 2016
    Perhaps provide what specific information you are looking for? I'm sure many people have done this (I DIYed my centerpiece flowers, bought simple costcto bouquets for my BMs and had a florist make mine for my first wedding. For this wedding I'm doing everything myself with flower alternatives)....but what do you need to know from people on these forums? Your question is too broad to provide any advice for. 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My friend did this for her wedding. She ordered a professional bouquet for herself and made all the bridesmaids bouquets out of silk florals from Michael's. It turned out really beautifully!

I think they picked up simple boutonniere's from a grocery store or something for all the groomsmen as well.

• Yes, I've heard of this being done from florist friends...  But really think about it - why go through the work of making all those bouquets (which may or may not turn out looking nice) and the expense for all the materials/flowers/ribbons/etc., it's also a HUGE mess to make them, when you can set your budget and let your florist run with it, they'll turn out great, they'll be there on time, and all without having to lift a single finger?  Most of all, where are you going to find the time for making these?  It takes longer than one realizes!
  • I did this for my wedding two weeks ago. I made everything except boutonnieres and my bouquet. I'm used to be a florist. I don't recommend doing this unless you know a lot about flowers and have a ton of free time in the 3 days leading up to your wedding, but honestly there are too many variables. what if they flowers look bad when they show up? what if you don't have time to finish? what if they are too tight when you get them? florists know best and will work within your budget.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Yes, I've heard of this being done from florist friends...  But really think about it - why go through the work of making all those bouquets (which may or may not turn out looking nice) and the expense for all the materials/flowers/ribbons/etc., it's also a HUGE mess to make them, when you can set your budget and let your florist run with it, they'll turn out great, they'll be there on time, and all without having to lift a single finger?  Most of all, where are you going to find the time for making these?  It takes longer than one realizes!
    I actually did the opposite of this, but for similar reasoning. I made the boutonnieres, corsages, and all bouquets -- including mine (see below) -- from silk flowers. I knew it would take considerable time and effort to make them look good, so I figured, what's one more! I did feel that I saved a lot of money overall (all said and done with flowers, ribbons, tape, and wire cutters, I spent ~ $200), and I get to keep my bridal bouquet forever now (it's a decoration in our bedroom). But they do take a lot of time -- so if you're not fully invested in the project, I'd say just go with a florist. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Yes, I've heard of this being done from florist friends...  But really think about it - why go through the work of making all those bouquets (which may or may not turn out looking nice) and the expense for all the materials/flowers/ribbons/etc., it's also a HUGE mess to make them, when you can set your budget and let your florist run with it, they'll turn out great, they'll be there on time, and all without having to lift a single finger?  Most of all, where are you going to find the time for making these?  It takes longer than one realizes!
    I actually did the opposite of this, but for similar reasoning. I made the boutonnieres, corsages, and all bouquets -- including mine (see below) -- from silk flowers. I knew it would take considerable time and effort to make them look good, so I figured, what's one more! I did feel that I saved a lot of money overall (all said and done with flowers, ribbons, tape, and wire cutters, I spent ~ $200), and I get to keep my bridal bouquet forever now (it's a decoration in our bedroom). But they do take a lot of time -- so if you're not fully invested in the project, I'd say just go with a florist. 

That is beautiful!
  • MesmrEwe said:

That is beautiful!
    Thanks! I swear 70% of the time with these flowers was just playing at Hobby Lobby and browsing online to figure out what I wanted the end result to look like! I did cheat a bit, though -- I ordered pre-made bouquets online and then just filled them out further with the peachy roses and the orange lilies. That way I didn't have to mess with all the extra details like the thistles or berries or leaves. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited August 2016
    @tigerlily6, your flowers are gorgeous!

I'm having a "paper florist" make corsages, boutonnières, and the roses that I'm using as the focus of our bouquets, but I'm making the bouquets.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards