Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal dinner

so, our rehearsal dinner is being hosted at Ruth's Chris in Marina Del Rey. Unfortunately, because we aren't willing to start it at either 4 PM or 9 PM we are limited to a room that can only accommodate 48. Due to this the price has decreased drastically, which is nice, at the same time, I'm thinkin maybe now we should be offering more to our guests during the dinner. What do you guys think?  Our total budget for the rehearsal is $10k and with 48 guest we'll only hot about $7k. Should we add the tray passed d'Oeuvres and select nicer wines or should we be thankful and save the money?  

This is may seem rediculous, but I really cannot decide. My fiancé wants everything perfect. I'm just trying to give her that

Re: Rehearsal dinner

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's up to you.

I think as long as you are providing appropriate food and beverage for the meal, how much you decide to spend and offer is your decision. To me, appropriate food and beverage would be, at the minimum, 2 meat choices and a vegetarian option, beer and wine, non alcoholic beverages.

What are you providing so far? Do you have a special menu selected (i.e. do guests get to choose their food, or are you having specific courses already chosen)?

You could offer more choices to your guests to choose from, but if you already have a starter course + meal + dessert, adding in passed apps might be wasted. It could be too much food for the time period, since we are talking a few hours for dinner, versus a wedding where you would have ceremony into cocktail hour, into dinner.

As a wine drinker, I would always appreciate good wine, but again, it's up to you if you want to go that route. You could also think about hosting something else, like scotch.
  • banana468 said:
    Am I the only one wondering if this person is for real??   Wondering whether or not to upgrade the menu at Ruth's Chris and whether or not the groomsmen will appreciate their handguns just strikes me as someone creating baiting posts.

There are people from all walks of life on here but these two topics are coming off as incredibly odd to me.     
    I definitely think it's MUD. 
  • banana468 said:
    Am I the only one wondering if this person is for real??   Wondering whether or not to upgrade the menu at Ruth's Chris and whether or not the groomsmen will appreciate their handguns just strikes me as someone creating baiting posts.

There are people from all walks of life on here but these two topics are coming off as incredibly odd to me.     
    Especially since OP starts by stating, "I'm sure this has been asked before"......because hand guns are such a typical GM gift.  I personally think that with such a generous budget, OP should try to find a way to make mini gun cuff links.  Win-win!
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    I'll give benefit of the doubt for now and assume legit.

That said, you make it sound as if due to a smaller room you had to cut the guest list down to 48 (down from what I assume is 60-75 based on your budget change). Who were the people you cut that you were originally planning on inviting?

What I'm getting at, is did a whole circle get cut? (maybe you were going to invite aunts and uncles but now aren't, maybe you were going to invite all out of town guests but now none, etc). Or are did you chop out a part of a circle (some OOT guests are invited, some aren't?)

If it's the latter, I would trim down your guest list even more until you have nothing left but complete circles (even if that just means wedding party + SOs and immediate family, for example).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards