Chit Chat
Options

Summer Olympics!

Re: Summer Olympics!

• Options
    SP29 said:
    I am in it for the Equestrian events, which are on broadcadt t.v. for like 3 hours total. I downloaded the app so I can watch the events live but still wish there was a way to watch later. I can't watch while I am at work and everything starts at 9am here. If anyone knows where you can watch past events  (more than just highlights) please let me know. :)
    Do you have cable? If so download the NBC Sports app, not the Rio Olympics one and you can watch replays. I'm watching the gymnastics qualifying events that I missed last night. 
    Thanks! Watching this mornings Cross Country test Right Now! :grin:

Me too!!

I *LOVE* the Olympics.

I like watching the swimming, running, and equestrian events. I catch a few other snippets here and there. If you're in Canada, CBC.ca allows you to watch live or replays from the events of the day of (though not previous days :( ).

Some great stars all around. There are A LOT of strong women in these games. I'm particularly pleased with the Canadian women's teams (of course I'm biased ;) ). 60% of Canada's athletes at the games are women.

If only I didn't have to work and could stay home and watch the Olympics all day.... now I must leave and go visit my own horse.
    Interesting.  I did not know that!

We have the Olympics on at work, but the volume is very low and its' a small TV.   Imma just going to move this over to the 1st world problems thread, huh?

• Options
    Turns out it's Brazillian law that in a pool that size they need to have lifeguards. I read there's around 75 lifeguards paid to watch the Olympics. At least they have good seats?

Also, here's a rundown of all the insane things news outlets have said/written about female athletes so far. The "girls team" one really brings my gears. 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57a88bfce4b0c94bd3c9fb86
  • Options
    I love the olympics but because of the time difference I'm having a hard time watching much. Team GB haven't won too much yet so at least I haven't missed all the fun. Plus I'm travelling for work this week which doesn't help. I can't wait for the athletics to start!

One thing I did catch on Saturday that really wound me up though was when the Team Refugee athlete won her heat in swimming. Afterwards the interviewer asked her if she 'ever wondered what she may have been able to achieve had she been able to focus on swimming and had access to a proper coach and training time'. No, I'm sure that had never crossed her mind. I'm sure this incredibly talented woman wasn't bothered at all that instead of training she had had to focus on surviving. Where do they come up with these questions!?
    I am finding many reporters and a lot of the commentators to be truly questionable.  Really, it seems that tact is just flying out of the window all across the board, and everyone has zero fucks to give.

Apparently, some of my gymnastics buff friends are really upset with one of the commentators because he refuses to acknowledge Simone Biles adoptive parents as her actual parents.  "They may be mom and dad, but they aren't her parents."  "Biles' grandparents," etc.

I didn't personally hear/read any of that, but it's disgusting if it's true.

But, to put a positive spin on the negative commentary, I firmly believe that any parent who adopts a child into a loving home is a grand parent.

But there's a big difference between a grand parent and a grandparent.
    It was Al Trautwig. He called them her grandparents, right after running the story about how they adopted her and her sister. Someone posted on twitter that he should stop calling them her grandparents (or more specifically "her grandfather and his wife), because they are her parents. He responded with "They may be mom and dad, but they are NOT her parents".

Then Twitter exploded. And he deleted it. I was pretty disgusted too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    drglitter said:
    I love the olympics but because of the time difference I'm having a hard time watching much. Team GB haven't won too much yet so at least I haven't missed all the fun. Plus I'm travelling for work this week which doesn't help. I can't wait for the athletics to start!

One thing I did catch on Saturday that really wound me up though was when the Team Refugee athlete won her heat in swimming. Afterwards the interviewer asked her if she 'ever wondered what she may have been able to achieve had she been able to focus on swimming and had access to a proper coach and training time'. No, I'm sure that had never crossed her mind. I'm sure this incredibly talented woman wasn't bothered at all that instead of training she had had to focus on surviving. Where do they come up with these questions!?
    I am finding many reporters and a lot of the commentators to be truly questionable.  Really, it seems that tact is just flying out of the window all across the board, and everyone has zero fucks to give.

Apparently, some of my gymnastics buff friends are really upset with one of the commentators because he refuses to acknowledge Simone Biles adoptive parents as her actual parents.  "They may be mom and dad, but they aren't her parents."  "Biles' grandparents," etc.

I didn't personally hear/read any of that, but it's disgusting if it's true.

But, to put a positive spin on the negative commentary, I firmly believe that any parent who adopts a child into a loving home is a grand parent.

But there's a big difference between a grand parent and a grandparent.
    It was Al Trautwig. He called them her grandparents, right after running the story about how they adopted her and her sister. Someone posted on twitter that he should stop calling them her grandparents (or more specifically "her grandfather and his wife), because they are her parents. He responded with "They may be mom and dad, but they are NOT her parents".

Then Twitter exploded. And he deleted it. I was pretty disgusted too.
    That's ridiculous. Also in an interview she pretty much said "there's no story here, they are my parents that's all I've ever known. It's not a big deal" and yet they still try to make it one. 
  • Options
    Turns out it's Brazillian law that in a pool that size they need to have lifeguards. I read there's around 75 lifeguards paid to watch the Olympics. At least they have good seats?

Also, here's a rundown of all the insane things news outlets have said/written about female athletes so far. The "girls team" one really brings my gears. 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57a88bfce4b0c94bd3c9fb86
    Yes - I cannot believe this is even still a thing. The "wife of a Bears lineman" and all the mentions about women being moms, and the comment that the US women's gymnastic team could just be "chatting at the mall" are really disgusting.
  • Options
    CBC's been pretty good, considering all of our medals have been from female athletes so far.  My only complaint was with Penny Oleksiak, who won a silver in swimming.  Her brother plays in the NHL and there were a couple of questions (and a vide clip) about him, but she was also pretty awkward and hard to interview as she's 16, new to the game and shy too.  But he was able to focus mostly on her race before and after those 2 minutes.  Every other interview I've seen has been focused on their race/game, getting ready, or occasionally about coming from a family of Olympians and how that has affected them.  Good job Ron McLean!!

• Options

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Arg!!  This is the second Olympics Buzzed that has "Content not available your region" for all the photos.  (The other is the Michael Phelps face).  Waiting for an appointment to finish, and then I'll head to the computer to get a US IP address to check these out

• Options
    :/  - I'm so the woman who spends all night long googling athletes to find their story.  I end up in wormholes looking at who their SO's are, where they are from, etc.   So fascinating to me.

As far as the Hungarian swimmer.   I kind-of see both sides.   Sure she was the one who blew away the competition.  It is her talent that won.

That said, the importance of a coach should not be underestimated.  Coaches have the ability to take someone's natural talent and mold it into something greater.   If athletes could do it all on their own they would not need coaches.  I think you would be hard pressed to find an Olympic athlete who didn't have a coach.  

Most, if not all, athletes credit their coaches on why they are as good as they are.  Raw talent alone does not win medals.  Many athletes go to their coaches after a performance.  NBC pans the cameras to the coaches section.  They comment on who they are and what the coach might have done for the athlete.    

I kind-of think the fact that he is her husband over-road the fact he is also her coach.  If he wasn't her husband and just a plain coach, I don't think anyone would have thought twice about the comments.  

The fact it was her husband people interpreted the comments that she would be nothing without him.   I don't think that was point of the comment.  It was simply recognizing the importance a good coach can have on an athlete.   

Last night after she won her 2nd gold she pointed to her husband/coach, cupped her hands in a heart shape.  It was sweet and to me said she appreciated all he does as her coach (and husband). 

IDK, just my interpreted, I get why others have a different point of view.

The rest of the Huffington article was spot on.   Calling 30 year old "girls"?  Really?  Come on.  I get you might be an 80-year old male commentator who thinks any women under the age of 60 is a "girl", but no.  Just stop already!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I love the summer Olympics! I was a gymnast most of my life and in college so I look forward to the gymnastics portion for four years. Our US team is amazing this year, I can't believe they are ahead of the second place team by 10 points.. anyone who knows anything about gymnastics knows this is INSANE! Simone Biles is incredible to watch and I can't wait for the team finals today! I'm glued to my computer since I'm done with class now and can just watch!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh to that article.  I just tweeted a photo of a college football team to @nbcolympics and said "look at these boys chatting like they're at the mall - said no reporter ever."

FI is Hungarian and a Katinka fan so we've both been pissed about the comments aboutf and the insinuation that she wasn't a competitor before her husband started coaching her and that she's left her old self behind.
    I think a lot of the comments about their personal and professional relationships are way out of line. The NYT article quoted someone who trained with them over two years ago (and not since) and someone who overheard some conversation at one meet, and pretty much took it as fact that there was something inappropriate happening. 

Also, she didn't swim the 200 fly semis this afternoon, wonder why?
  • Options
    Ugh to that article.  I just tweeted a photo of a college football team to @nbcolympics and said "look at these boys chatting like they're at the mall - said no reporter ever."

FI is Hungarian and a Katinka fan so we've both been pissed about the comments aboutf and the insinuation that she wasn't a competitor before her husband started coaching her and that she's left her old self behind.
    I think a lot of the comments about their personal and professional relationships are way out of line. The NYT article quoted someone who trained with them over two years ago (and not since) and someone who overheard some conversation at one meet, and pretty much took it as fact that there was something inappropriate happening. 

When I swam competitively, there would be meets where I'd have events fairly close together, and I'd ask coach to scratch me from my weaker one so I had more physical and mental energy for my better event.  Maybe she wants more time to prep for her final tonight.

Or... because she's a woman, and no woman ever is allowed to so completely smash world records that have only been held for a few years, she's being accused of doping or using steroids or some other bullshit.  Because, you know, women.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

When I swam competitively, there would be meets where I'd have events fairly close together, and I'd ask coach to scratch me from my weaker one so I had more physical and mental energy for my better event.  Maybe she wants more time to prep for her final tonight.

Or... because she's a woman, and no woman ever is allowed to so completely smash world records that have only been held for a few years, she's being accused of doping or using steroids or some other bullshit.  Because, you know, women.
    Yah, I so didn't mean to imply that. 

I watched the heat and they said she didn't give a reason for scratching so I was curious if people who followed her more closely would have an idea why she DNS. Didn't mean to insinuate she has been anything but amazing in these games. 
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016

I watched the heat and they said she didn't give a reason for scratching so I was curious if people who followed her more closely would have an idea why she DNS. Didn't mean to insinuate she has been anything but amazing in these games. 
    Sorry!  I wasn't implying that you did!  Sarcasm fail.  I saw an article about it earlier this morning and I was pretty peeved that it's even a question.

--Philip Pullman

• Options

Sorry!  I wasn't implying that you did!  Sarcasm fail.  I saw an article about it earlier this morning and I was pretty peeved that it's even a question.
    Ugh, that's so ridiculous. It can't be that she's worked insanely hard to break the records it has to be something else?
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    edited August 2016
    Ugh, that's so ridiculous. It can't be that she's worked insanely hard to break the records it has to be something else?

(Now that I've found a way to articulate what I wanted to say initially...)

It pisses me off that a woman shatters a world record and there's instant speculation about her conduct as an athlete instead of just accepting the fact that maybe she is just a phenomenal athlete.  It just shouldn't even be a question.

Federica Pellegrini shattered the WR for the 200m freestyle 5 times in less than a year, and the last record she set (2009) was 2.5 seconds faster than the first one she set (2008).  I don't remember people questioning her ability.  The media really needs to STFU.

Some athletes cheat.  Not all of them do.

--Philip Pullman

• Options

I love the Olympics. And our Canadian women are doing SO WELL!

I have 2 cpu screens at work. One is currently on kayak haha. I was also watching mens diving yesterday and my boss walked in and was like, startled haha. They don't wear a lot! So I made the screen a bit smaller lest they think I'm doing anything inappropriate (besides slacking off) lolz.

• Options
    I have to say the only thing I hate about Colorado is that we are on mountain time.    It's like a double tape delay :(        We get the same tape delayed events as the east coast, but we also get the live on the east coast stuff tape delayed.  :'(

I just can't stay off the internet that long.  So I end up watching the event but already know the outcome.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I have to say the only thing I hate about Colorado is that we are on mountain time.    It's like a double tape delay :(        We get the same tape delayed events as the east coast, but we also get the live on the east coast stuff tape delayed.  :'(

I just can't stay off the internet that long.  So I end up watching the event but already know the outcome.
    And I love living out here cos we have time delay, so I can get live feeds off the east coast stations.  We watch a lot of Detroit tv.  ;)

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

And I love living out here cos we have time delay, so I can get live feeds off the east coast stations.  We watch a lot of Detroit tv.  ;)
    I have direct TV.  I can watch a lot of stuff live, but some of the "good" stuff is tape delayed for NBC prime time.   I wish the local station would just cut to the live events at start late in Rio.  Nope,  they delay those also.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I have direct TV.  I can watch a lot of stuff live, but some of the "good" stuff is tape delayed for NBC prime time.   I wish the local station would just cut to the live events at start late in Rio.  Nope,  they delay those also.
    THe NBC app will let you watch all the events live, so if you have a smart tv or can hook up the computer to your tv you can watch the events live. I'm watching the women's gymnastics team final right now!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

THe NBC app will let you watch all the events live, so if you have a smart tv or can hook up the computer to your tv you can watch the events live. I'm watching the women's gymnastics team final right now!

Me too! Our women are AMAZING!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot about that app.  Thanks!  I'm watching too.  I'm in love with Russia and Brazil's outfits.  All of these girls are so good.  It's amazing what the human body can do. 

• Options
    I'm now watching it online.   I feel like I should post spoilers on FB to my east coast friends who like to post spoilers for us west coast people.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Michael Phelps is a legit beast - did anyone else see the 200M Medley?

ETA:  also is Ryan Lochte's hair intentionally blue now or is that the bleach plus the chlorine?  It was blonde two days ago.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Michael Phelps is a legit beast - did anyone else see the 200M Medley?

ETA:  also is Ryan Lochte's hair intentionally blue now or is that the bleach plus the chlorine?  It was blonde two days ago.
    Yeah! Just watched it! He is a beast.

I was wondering that too.... I'm thinking it's the pool water because it doesn't look uniformly blue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards