Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photo timing

my photographer is only staying a maximum of 3 hours. 

We are doing a first look and also want pictures of this. 
This is what our timeline would look like because the photographer is leaving early 

3 or 330: first look (idk if she should come at 3 or 330. I figure she could take other pictures if there is more time) 

4pm-430: ceremony 

430-530: cocktail hour. (Is cocktail hour truly an hour?)  This is where majority of pictures will be taken. (Bride and groom, bridesmaids, groomsmen, family etc)

530-630: dinner  (is this too long?) 

because she would be leaving at 6, I've been playing around with the idea of cutting the cake at 5:30  and serving dinner after so we can get professional pictures of it. 

Is this a case of putting my "vision" before my guests? I would really like to have pictures of this, but I'm not sure if it would just be weird to everyone to do this before we even eat. 
I appreciate all your guidance! 

Note: ceremony and reception aren't even 200ft away from each other

eta: my punctuation was all off. 

Re: Photo timing

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Your plan to cut the cake before the photographer leaves is fine.  :)

Are you having a buffet or a plated dinner? Either way, an hour should be enough since your wedding is small (IIRC).
  • Options
    Your plan to cut the cake before the photographer leaves is fine.  :)

Are you having a buffet or a plated dinner? Either way, an hour should be enough since your wedding is small (IIRC).
    Buffet 
  • Options
    No there's nothing wrong with cutting the cake early. In fact, it's probably better since that gives the venue time to cut and plate the rest of it. it's always annoying when dinner is over at 7 and cake isn't available until like 9. 

If you're doing spotlight dances, you could also do those before dinner so the photog will still be there for that too. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    No there's nothing wrong with cutting the cake early. In fact, it's probably better since that gives the venue time to cut and plate the rest of it. it's always annoying when dinner is over at 7 and cake isn't available until like 9. 

If you're doing spotlight dances, you could also do those before dinner so the photog will still be there for that too. 
    Thanks! 

Were  actually just doing a little cake for
    the cutting tradition and serving cupcakes for the rest. 
  • Options
    ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    I've seen couples do 2 cake cuts, one fake for the tog and a real one later.  That being said nothing strange about cutting the cake before dinner, lots of people do that.

A 1 hour cocktail hour should be fine for your tog to get a few shots of the couple, a few family, guests mingling at cocktail hour, and a few shots of your details like table plan and reception tables before your guests all sit down.  

I think an hour is a bit short for dinner if you are doing table visits.  Just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards