Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette for a Party Bus

Re: Etiquette for a Party Bus

• Options
    i think asking everyone for $10, in addition to being poor hosting and rude, will come across as super petty. for 25 people, that's $250, which in the grand scheme of wedding planning is barely anything. host properly, weddings aren't BYOB events.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    scribe95 said:
    It has a Vegas feel so I think it's cool. Having some drinks, stopping at the Vegas sign for pics; more drinks; stopping for pizza; more drinks; stopping to watch the fountains. It is definitely nontraditional but I think it could be fun for a younger set of people. 
    Ahem.  And what is Grandma supposed to do?  This might be a good plan for a bachelorette party, but this is supposed to be a wedding reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Hey, it's a wedding in Vegas which I think has a certain party connotation and guests will understand that and accept or decline accordingly. I personally am into the super sentimental and simple type wedding but I can see how this would be a fun and wacky wedding and if my friends were the fun and wacky type, it would be a blast to help them celebrate in their own style. I would definitely give the party bus a try (with some dramamine as I get motion sickness). It doesn't sound like my thing but something I would be willing to try and enjoy for a friend's wedding! And who knows, it could turn out to be a totally awesome evening and a cherished memory! 

Definitely do not ask for help paying for alcohol, though. I think you got that from previous posts! 
    I'm with spock on this one.

I'm not a "partier" and I've never been to Vegas, but assuming I could actually go out to Vegas for this to see a friend's wedding, I think this could be fun.  Kind of a nice way to experience/see Vegas in 2 hours.  

I agree with others about making sure there's sufficient stops (so you're not literally on a bus for 2 hours) and about stopping for food.  I would definitely need to eat a good meal.  And probably wouldn't drink that much (I'm not a big drinker). 

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm a grandmother, and I could not and would not.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2016
    redoryx said:
    CMGragain said:
    Okay? I know grandmothers who can and would. Just because you can't and won't doesn't make it a blanket rule for grandmothers everywhere.  
    I have no problem with having a party bus to celebrate a wedding.  I do have a problem with it if that is the ONLY hospitality offered. This is supposed to be a WEDDING RECEPTION.  It should include everyone.  At age 65, I can still walk on my own, but I can't do stairs easily, especially bus stairs.  I can't drink more than one drink.  My DH is hard of hearing, and he would hate a scenario like the OP is proposing for her wedding reception.  We are not that unusual for older people, and I have several friends that are not as spry as I am..
    My point is that a wedding reception is a thank you from the couple to their guests for coming to the ceremony.  It should be in the form of offering food and drink.  An after-party, which is what the party bus sounds like, is fine, but it is not a replacement for a reception, which should include ALL guests, not just the party-on crowd.
    Would you invite families to a wedding and then have a reception which excludes children?  This is just one example.
    The last wedding I attended, there was dancing.  People had the choice to dance - or not.  There was alcohol.  People had the choice to drink alcohol - or not.  There was plenty of food - nobody wanted to pass that up!  The OP is not giving her guests these choices.  They are on the bus and must go with the crowd.
    Like I said, great after party for those who choose it, but not a good WEDDING RECEPTION.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    redoryx said:
    CMGragain said:
    Okay? I know grandmothers who can and would. Just because you can't and won't doesn't make it a blanket rule for grandmothers everywhere.  
    I have no problem with having a party bus to celebrate a wedding.  I do have a problem with it if that is the ONLY hospitality offered. This is supposed to be a WEDDING RECEPTION.  It should include everyone.  At age 65, I can still walk on my own, but I can't do stairs easily, especially bus stairs.  I can't drink more than one drink.  My DH is hard of hearing, and he would hate a scenario like the OP is proposing for her wedding reception.  We are not that unusual for older people, and I have several friends that are not as spry as I am..
    My point is that a wedding reception is a thank you from the couple to their guests for coming to the ceremony.  It should be in the form of offering food and drink.  An after-party, which is what the party bus sounds like, is fine, but it is not a replacement for a reception, which should include ALL guests, not just the party-on crowd.
    Would you invite families to a wedding and then have a reception which excludes children?  This is just one example.
    The last wedding I attended, there was dancing.  People had the choice to dance - or not.  There was alcohol.  People had the choice to drink alcohol - or not.  There was plenty of food - nobody wanted to pass that up!  The OP is not giving her guests these choices.  They are on the bus and must go with the crowd.
    Like I said, great after party for those who choose it, but not a good WEDDING RECEPTION.
    Grandparents and other elderly guests have the same choice about going on the bus as every other guest. Simply because the reception is on a bus does not automatically exclude them.

You might not make that choice for yourself because you wouldn't be comfortable, but you have no right to expect the couple to plan a separate reception just for you because you're the one guest who wouldn't be comfortable. Nor can you make that determination for every other guest, regardless of age. 
  • Options
    I agree with all the PPs about giving the OP the benefit of the doubt in knowing her crowd. If I had grandparents whom I knew wouldn't be comfortable with this type of reception, I wouldn't do it. The reception is for your guests so it is important to know if this is something they would enjoy.
  • Options

We're basically planning what many folks here have suggested.  Ceremony, then to dinner and drinks with a party bus after.  Dinner will be in a private room at a restaurant, with open bar, then the bus time is basically a traveling cocktail hour afterwards.  We have about 30 guests, many of whom aren't frequent Vegas visitors, and we wanted to give them a chance to get out to the Welcome sign, and see the entire Vegas strip. 

This isn't like, a Greyhound tour bus either.  There are neon lights, music and room for moving around, more like a limo. Of course, no one is obligated to ride along, just like no one would be obligated to stay at a regular reception.  While I know my parents aren't nearly as excited about this as our friends, I can't see them enjoying a Vegas club either.  While it's not exactly a traditional wedding reception, it's really not that unusual an option for a Vegas wedding.

@KatCtoKatA are you the OP? If so, I think we can all agree that this is fine. I don't really enjoy party busses with no destination, but this isn't rude and anyone can be hosted at the dinner after. I can't tell beause the OP is a Knottie# - so not sure if you changed your name or are a different person.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Of course the hosts of an event should always take their guests into consideration, but that doesn't mean a party bus in inherently rude.

We had guests with mobility issues, so we made sure any venue we considered had main floor access to a bathroom, and an elevator if there were any stairs.

As for drinking, just because it's a party bus doesn't mean guests have to drink. I assume non-alcoholic beverages will also be offered (as that is basic hosting).

As for the noise, there can be music on without the bass pumping. I've also been to more traditional wedding receptions in a banquet hall where guests can hardly talk over the music being too loud.
  • Options
    I agree with @CMGragain, @monkeysip and @MobKaz. I don't think it's rude, but as I said before I do think its tacky. I just hope all the traveling guests no about three reception plans.

If I flew to Vegas only to find out the reception was a 2 hour party bus with pizza, I'd be annoyed. If you are having a destination wedding, I assume it will be better than what you would host at home. Destination weddings costs the guests more, in most cases. So I side eye a couple who use a destination wedding as a way to cheap out on the reception.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I agree with @CMGragain, @monkeysip and @MobKaz. I don't think it's rude, but as I said before I do think its tacky. I just hope all the traveling guests no about three reception plans.

If I flew to Vegas only to find out the reception was a 2 hour party bus with pizza, I'd be annoyed. If you are having a destination wedding, I assume it will be better than what you would host at home. Destination weddings costs the guests more, in most cases. So I side eye a couple who use a destination wedding as a way to cheap out on the reception.
    This!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Lots of weddings, whether destination or at home, require that out-of-town guests fly in. That doesn't mean they're entitled to additional hospitality. The wedding invitation is not a subpoena. It was their choice to come. Provided there is enough food and beverage all for that time of day, the guests aren't entitled to more - regardless of how far they had to fly.

So you can side-eye the couple all you want because the reception is a couple of hours on a party bus. But as long as there are enough food and drinks for that time of day, the hosts aren't wrong for having a party bus.
    Its not additional hosting, it's being up front. Tacky and rude are not the same thing.

Party bus better have a bathroom on board or it doesn't meet minimum hospitality standards.

Also guests are stuck staying for the while trip. They can't just leave when they please bc they won't be where their vehicle is or where they originally started. Not telling guests they will be trapped on a party bus in advance does not meet minimum hosting standards. Yes, it's not a subpoena, but tell your guests in advance if your plans. If I was invited to a reception on a boat cruise, I'd sure as hell want to know BEFORE I accepted the inviation, not after I got there. Not being able to leave when they want to a problem.

Being trapped in a confined space with 30 people without a heads up is not proper hosting. If they know the situation and choose to come then it's all good.

If you want to be off beat and quirky, own it and tell people in advance. That's what a good host would do, not hold people hostage on a party bus without prior notice.
    Since the original question was whether or not guests should chip in, I assumed the guests were aware of the plan.  

I definitely see your point about making sure they know in advance though and agree with that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards