Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

PENCILED IN GUEST! Help!!!

My fiancé and I have decided to allow children of immediate family only to attend our wedding.  This will keep the count fairly low, as it is a formal plated dinner and we want to make sure it doesn't sound like a McDonalds Playplace in our somewhat intimate reception venue.

We invited my fiancées cousin with HER NAME AND HER BOYFRIENDS NAME ONLY.  She sent her reply back with 3 people on it to include her boyfriends son.  He is 2 1/2, and at a wedding a few weeks ago he screamed, cried, and ran around crazy the whole time.  This child is not a member our family and we have only met him once a couple weeks ago.  We have put so much time and effort into planning a beautiful party for our guests.  How do I tell them that he is not welcome without causing drama?  ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AWESOME.  

Re: PENCILED IN GUEST! Help!!!

• Options
    Of course I will leave those comments out!  It's hard, i feel like this is a super grey area because the child lives with them full time, but they have gotten a sitter for many other events for him (anniversary parties, holidays).  I think I am really second guessing myself here, and I don't want to hurt feelings, but if we invited every guests child we would probably end up past capacity of the venue.  
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Here's the next problem, since you are being so great with advice.  We did invite this same cousins brothers children.  I guess the difference is that the brothers kids are HIS children.  Not the children of a significant other.  Is this too close of a line?  I do still feel like we are within the "children of family" circle because the child we are excluding is not related to us.  He is simply a BF's child from a previous relationship.  But you are correct, we are excluding numerous children, not just this one.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  This has been helpful.  I really hate this part of wedding planning it turns out.  I think my last question would be, do you think it's inappropriate to just call her and say "I see you penciled in *M*, and I understand he is a huge part of your life so I want you all to share this day with us, but at the wedding a couple weeks ago he was very upset, distracting and kind of all over the place.  I understand that two year olds are unpredictable sometimes, but Do you think you could work extra hard at managing him throughout the evening? I.e. If he starts to scream, take him outside etc".   Or is this awful and I'm just telling them they are bad parents or something?  
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Thanks everyone!  This has been helpful.  I really hate this part of wedding planning it turns out.  I think my last question would be, do you think it's inappropriate to just call her and say "I see you penciled in *M*, and I understand he is a huge part of your life so I want you all to share this day with us, but at the wedding a couple weeks ago he was very upset, distracting and kind of all over the place.  I understand that two year olds are unpredictable sometimes, but Do you think you could work extra hard at managing him throughout the evening? I.e. If he starts to scream, take him outside etc".   Or is this awful and I'm just telling them they are bad parents or something?

SITB

yeah, definitely leave ^ this out.  @glasgowtolondon 's response was perfect, just leave it at that. Especially considering the fact that the lines are kind of murky (your cousin's (the subject's brother's) children aren't immediate family), the more simple your explanation, the better.
  • Options
    Ya....saying any of that probably wouldn't go over too well. Either accept that he is coming and be ok with however that may look or stick with your original plan and say that he cannot be accommodated. Hopefully someone else (maybe your aunt/cousins mom) will recognize if he's being an issue and suggest to your cousin that he should be taken outside during the ceremony. Either way, you'll be busy getting married anyways and hopefully won't even notice him! 
  • Options
    Let me be clear, I have no issue with this child except he is totally wild and disruptive.  I don't care that he is a cousins BF's son, and I would happily welcome him except that they do a terrible job parenting him and do not control him well at all.  The only reason i included that was because I wasn't sure if I had broken an etiquette line
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Let me be clear, I have no issue with this child except he is totally wild and disruptive.  I don't care that he is a cousins BF's son, and I would happily welcome him except that they do a terrible job parenting him and do not control him well at all.  The only reason i included that was because I wasn't sure if I had broken an etiquette line
    You posted that you only saw him once.  Am I correct?  I think you are assuming too much about this child.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @CMGragain I met him once but have been told by numerous family members that are closer to him about his inability to be controlled.  
  • Options
    @LondonLisa again, I stated that because I wasn't sure if this was a distinction that should be made or not.  Worded inappropriately by saying "only", I didn't mean these were my personal feelings.  
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Don't say anything that sounds critical of the child or their parenting or lack thereof. Just say to her, "Cousin, there appears to be a misunderstanding. Your invitation was only for you and your BF and does not include anyone else. We can't accommodate any guests other than those persons actually listed on the invitation envelopes. We therefore have to ask that you not bring anyone with you other than your BF."

And if she refuses to attend if the kid is not invited, just respond, "I'm sorry to hear that. We will miss you and your BF."
  • Options
    @LondonLisa I don't need your validation.  I have never been through this process, and don't have experience with etiquette in this matter.  I was simply trying to get advice on possibly not inviting a child who is ill behaved.  Your suggestion that I have decided he is not a "real" family member is crappy and untrue.  However, the child attends NO other family functions in the 3 years that I have been with my fiancé - Holidays, parties etc (except for the one wedding two weeks ago) so I did not think they would write him in when I sent their invitation because he is never around and I was pretty blindsided by it. I did decide to digress, and allow them to bring the child, but should not be chastised for not wanting a poorly behaved guest to cause problems at the only wedding I will ever have whether he is related to us or not.  Get off your high horse. 
  • Options
    Grabbing popcorn!
  • Options
    PaperTigersxPaperTigersx member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    @LondonLisa I don't need your validation.  I have never been through this process, and don't have experience with etiquette in this matter.  I was simply trying to get advice on possibly not inviting a child who is ill behaved.  Your suggestion that I have decided he is not a "real" family member is crappy and untrue.  However, the child attends NO other family functions in the 3 years that I have been with my fiancé - Holidays, parties etc (except for the one wedding two weeks ago) so I did not think they would write him in when I sent their invitation because he is never around and I was pretty blindsided by it. I did decide to digress, and allow them to bring the child, but should not be chastised for not wanting a poorly behaved guest to cause problems at the only wedding I will ever have whether he is related to us or not.  Get off your high horse. 
    he's 2 years old. My two year old neice was over the house the other day and was terrorizing my dogs by chasing them around the house. My cousin and her husband did the vest they could to corral their daughter, but guess what? She's 2 and doesn't listen sometimes. My dogs survived and are just as happy now as they were the day before my niece came over. (Also, she almost fell into our shallow pond because she wanted to catch our fish. Daddy caught her in the nick of time tho!) 

your 2 year old not-blood-related-baby-cousin is not a "poorly behaved guest," but a baby who does not know social manners yet because, well, he's a baby. 

i mean, IMOH. 

Eta: this is only the second time I've been around my baby cousin as they are often not able to make it to family functions. But she and my cousins are no less family because they are not around often. 
  • Options
    wmam35wmam35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited August 2016
    Since you're inviting the cousin's brother's kid to the wedding, I would allow this child to come too.  I have a nephew who is my BIL's girlfriend's son from her first marriage and my in-laws do not treat this child as an equal grandchild with my BIL's biological son and it breaks my heart.  I'm not saying that you would purposely do this, but even if it's unintentional it could still hurt the child's feelings (I'm certain my in-laws do it on purpose though because they're the worst).  My BIL and his girlfriend also have issues controlling both of these children, and at my baby shower in January both of them were out of control (like knocking over presents, running around, etc) and it reflected poorly on my BIL and his girlfriend, not me.  If this child doesn't behave well, it will only reflect poorly on your cousin.  I was having so much fun that I didn't even notice most of the stuff they did, and the things I did see I kind of shrugged off because it was my baby shower. All of my nearest and dearest family and friends were there, and I was just truly so happy.  I bet that will happen to you even if this kid went crazy at your wedding - you'll have so much happiness to focus on that even if you did notice it, you may easily shrug it off.

All that being said, I agree with others that etiquette-wise you don't have to let this child come, but you should consider whether any potential drama is worth it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Etiquette wise you do not have to let the child come.

However, I would absolutely let the child come since you are letting the brother bring his kids.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    When it comes to children you're entitled to invite or not invite who you want but it is a good idea to have objective parameters so no one can take offence. Your problem is that in inviting your other cousin's children, you are treating this child differently.

Is your other cousin bringing his children? If not, you might be ok to say immediate family only but you can't say that if he is. Cousins aren't immediate family and his children are invited. 

Look, I completely sympathise with why you don't want a child there who might be disruptive where you don't have a relationship with the child. If your cake gets toppled over by a child you love, it's one thing, but if it's by a child you don't know then it's quite another. You are right to say you only get one wedding and while poor behaviour by a two year old at a wedding does not make the child a bad child or the parents bad parents (it's just how 2 year olds are), you don't want to sacrifice your day for that. Completely fair enough. But unfortunately inviting your other cousin's children has meant you can't get out of this without causing offence.

to try to think of a practical solution, if you're determined the child doesn't come, do you see much of your other cousin's children? It's a bit lame but if pushed for a reason you could say it's because you don't know this child. If you decide to let the child come, could you speak to your fiancé's cousin and say it is generally a no kids wedding as you're worried about disruption and lay some ground rules? If the cousin really doesn't care, is there a grandparent who may be sympathetic to the problem? Make sure you have this conversation with the parents of all children attending, again to prevent the perception of singling out of this one child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards