Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Uninviting Guests Etiquette

So many have this problem. Our guest list is huge (note - never make a guest list right AFTER the passing of a loved one with the MOB, haha) and the cost will be astronomical and I have found onesie-twosies that would make sense to cut, but etiquette/protocol dictates if they receive a Save the Date, they should be invited to the wedding. Well, I wanted to know about the following scenarios and advice anyone could offer:
1. I know it's the PETTIEST, but at about $175 per guest for a free NYE bash, I know you do not have to send a bridal shower gift if you do not attend the bridal shower (obligated for wedding of course), but any leeway on that? 
2. I invited a few close coworkers. One become my manager while I was engaged and became a mini monster clone of our ultimate boss. Can her invitation not make it?
3. I got engaged and sent out a Save the Date to an old high school friend that I've seen and kept in touch with and seen. She got engaged shortly after me. She is getting married in October, and we are CLEARLY not invited, haha. Is it okay to repeal that invite?
4. There are those whom we put on the invite list because we were invited to theirs. Then we read the whole, 'if you have not been in touch for a certain amount of years'. They, like a few guests, have shown no interest or have not engaged in responding to reaching out for a personal RSVP request for just the bridal shower. Is that indicative of people that we might hold onto their invitation?

Thank you!

Re: Uninviting Guests Etiquette

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Looking at OPs former posts makes me think she's actually for real.  

No, OP, you can't "uninvite" people without being incredibly rude.  And really, you are basing inviting people off of what gifts you get?  And you want to jeopardize your professional relationships by uninviting your boss?  JFC. You should have figured out your budget first and then gone from there.  Looks like it is time to adjust your expectations and downsize some flowers, decorations, etc. in order to accommodate the mess you made.  
    For real. I guess these people just aren't cheerleaders for her happiness......

• Options

You can't be serious.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There's no etiquette for uninviting guests- this is something that should never happen unless they've made threats of bodily harm or some similarly egregious behavior. 

Sounds like all your reasoning for considering the uninvite is petty. Suck it up and send the invites.
  • Options
    We verbally invited a few guests when we first got engaged that we lost touch with.  Guess what, they RSVPed no.  Left money for us in our honeymoon fund as we still invited AND budgeted for them.  No, you can not just uninvite them.  
  • Options
    You invited too many people, sent save-the-dates to too many people, and NOW you want to cut your guest list?

Wow. Also, no.

• Options
    No, you can't uninvite them.
  • Options

Anyone who got an STD or was invited to any pre-wedding events (ie shower, engagement party) needs to receive an invite.  To not send one, is exceedingly rude and possibly friendship-ending.  And to not send one to your boss, whom you have already invited?!?!  That could be career-ending!!  Don't be crazy.

As for #4, it was unclear to me if the friends on the "invite list" were actually sent an STD or not.  If not, cut them.  No worries there.  Though you also mention a bridal shower so, if they had been invited to that...whether they went or not...they must receive an invite.

Good lesson for lurkers.  STDs do NOT need to be sent to every person on the invite list.  If there are people on your invite list who are "maybes", don't send an STD.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    There are very few reasons why you wouldn't invite a guest that you sent a STD to.  Extreme reasons, like a restraining order.  Nothing you mentioned qualifies.
    Lurkers, theres nothing wrong with sending STDs to VIPs only. 
  • Options
    I hope alienating a whole bunch of people in your lives, including your BOSS (seriously??!!) goes well for you. Truly. Best of luck with this plan.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    If you cannot afford your wedding, then you must cancel it.  No other choice.
    Send out wedding cancellation noted to EVERYONE you invited to your wedding.

The wedding of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    will not take place
    as previously announced.

Now you can plan a sensible wedding within your budget.  It must be on a different date than your current plans.  You need to start from scratch and plan it all over again, or just elope.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Why am I not surprised potential guests are flaking on this bride?

And it is too harsh of a judgement call to say if they're already planning on $175 a head for a "huge" guest list that money's not as much of an issue and a few extra guests won't break that particular bank...

Just send all the invites, budget for 100% attendance, and when you don't get that, use the extra funds for extra food or upgraded bar. Or save it. 

And for the sake of all lurkers, don't send freaking save-the-dates to your entire guest list. Just don't. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards