Chit Chat

Thanksgiving plans?

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2016 in Chit Chat
OK, ladies.  I just booked a Thanksgiving holiday cruise, 15 days roundtrip from L.A. to Hawaii and back on the Star Princess!  I won't be depressed this Thanksgiving, and I won't have to cook, clean, and do dishes!
I would rather do all the above and have my children visit with the grandchildren, but it is too expensive for them to fly out and work schedules are also a problem.  Hawaii, here we come!  "Oh, we're going to the hukilau..."
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Thanksgiving plans?

• Oh goodness! Way too early for us to be planning!  We are moving soon and will be closer to family, so I expect we'll spend it with my sister and grandparents. Maybe drive to visit my other sister. We'll see. 

Your trip sounds amazing!
  • We never spend Thanksgiving with our families and I never cook. It would be a disaster. We have our Thanksgiving dinner at Ruth's Chris because H can get the traditional fixings and I can get a buttery steak!

We usually head to London the day after Thanksgiving, but we're going earlier this year since I'm going to Norway for work. So, this year, we might go to Phoenix or we might be completely lazy and lay low at home. The remainder of the year is crazy busy and it would be nice to have some down time.

• That sounds amazing! I just found out we are doing my mom's side of the family the weekend before Thanksgiving, my dad's side on Thanksgiving, and I am doing Thanksgiving for my DH's and my immediate family the Saturday after. 

I love being able to host Thanksgiving in our house and surprisingly it isn't stressful at all for me. My DH helps with some prep work and cleans dishes/pans along the way so there isn't a huge build up of dirty dishes. I make some things ahead of time and have my timeline I follow and everything is easy least the day of. I am excited because in the next few years we will be put in the rotation to host my dad's side of the family for Thanksgiving too.
  • Per our traditional turkey day, we are going to cram 16 people around an 8 person table, stuff ourselves until we can't breathe, then play board/card game while eating dessert.
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • No set plans yet but I'm thinking we will be spending Thanksgiving with my family in Alabama, since we won't be with them on Christmas (we're going on a cruise then!) and we try to alternate whose family we are with on which holiday. I'm really excited either way because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! 
    Anniversary

• That sounds wonderful!

We always do Thanksgiving lunch with DH's family and supper with my dad's family. DH's grandpa's health has not been well for a couple of years now (he has parkinson's with luey bodies) so there is always the chance he may not be with us which could change plans just a little bit.

I always decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving!

• That sounds great! I'm happy you will have a relaxing tropical Thanksgiving!

H & I can't plan that far ahead for Thanksgiving. I just know we are going to be eating turkey, watching football, and drinking too much red wine at someone's house LOL.
  • Hawaii sounds lovely!  I wanted to go to Vegas, but it just wont be in the cards this year. I'm not big on the Holiday myself but I love the 4.5 days off (well, 5 since you don't really WORK the 1/2 day on Wednesday anyway)

• I did Thanksgiving at my house last year and did everything. I loved it! I was also 6 months pregnant and swore I'd never do it again, but I think I might do it again this year. We have a pretty small family - me, FH, DS1, DS2, my mom & stepdad, FMIL so it's not too terrible. I love to cook and I love when people enjoy what I've prepared for them so even though I'll be 6 months pregnant at Thanksgiving again this year, I think I might do it all over. 
  • I might be traveling as well right before the Thanksgiving holiday, but haven't totally decided yet.  I haven't been back home in over 3 years and it's past time!

Crazy travel tip.  Flying ON Thanksgiving day is one of the cheapest days out of the whole year to fly.  The airports are also pretty empty.  I have my Hopper app set to NOLA to San Diego for one week, returning on Thanksgiving day.  It's normally a $350-$400 r/t flight, but is around $280 at the moment.  Tempting!!!

If not, we'll cook a turkey at home with some yummy fixings.  Mmmm...maybe fry it!  It's just the two of us...plus nibbles for the furry ones...so we'd be set up to eat extra good turkey sandwiches for the long weekend and into the next week, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am hoping our fixer upper is livable by then - if so I'd like to host and have my family (local - mom, dad, sister, BIL, their3 kids) and his family (not local - mom, dad, sister, her bf) since we just got married last month it would be fun to have everyone together and in our new house. not sure if that's feasible with our construction timeline, so it'll probably be planned a bit on the fly.

i work in nonprofit fundraising and with giving tuesday a couple of days after thanksgiving i can't travel around that time unless i'm guaranteed solid internet access at all times, so i've gotta stay local.
  • I promised FI last year we would go to the Lions game this year, so we'll probably go to his moms side of the family's dinner after the game and have my parents over on Friday.

I'd like to skip it all, but we're Honeymooning over Christmas so I can't be too greedy!
  • edited September 2016
    The cruise sounds fabulous, @CMGragain
  • @julieanne912 glad to see you posting again!!
  • Have fun! I'm dying to go back to Hawaii but H is on the fence. 

My 30th birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year. Normally we'd do the family thing and bounce from house to house but I have no desire to do that on my birthday. So instead we're going down to Orlando for 5 days so I can have warm weather and sunshine for my birthday - something that does NOT happen in NY in November.

Hah my 29th is on Thanksgiving this year!

I know MIL will try to get us to go up there and H will be all about it.

Nope. Not spending my damned birthday with MIL.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @julieanne912 glad to see you posting again!!
    Ha yeah I come and go.  Work has been soooo slowwwww, so here I am!  Also not gonna lie, I got a little tired of talking weddings for a good long while there after my own!
    Married 9.12.15
  • We will, in all likelihood, be unpacking boxes again this year.  I'd like to host my ILs, but I suspect we'll be too early in the moving process to do that.  We may visit H's grandparents and his mom's side of the family, but there's so much up in the air right now, we'll be lucky if we remember it's Thanksgiving at all.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    Yay for the cruise.    

The club is closed from the last week of Oct until... you guessed it... Thanksgiving day.  So Thanksgiving is spent alone while DH cooks.   It's not even a busy night for them, not sure why they are even open.      At least DH cooks extra brings it home for me to eat.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @ShesSoCold  we're same age except for months ;) {I'll be 29 in a week} I'm guessing you're a Scorpio {horoscope}

Being Canadian and all, Thanksgiving is in October for me. 2 weeks after we move to be specific, so we're not hosting. This is likely last year we do the run around to people's houses though, so I'm glad for that!

I know we'll see my parents and likely H's mum and stepdad, or we'll end up going to his dad and stepmum's place because they're moving too {before us}

I think that's it?
  • We've missed out on Thanksgiving with the families the last few years because the trip from NC to NY and back in a weekend was a pain in the ass. So much better from OH. So we'll go out Wednesday, spend Thursday with H's family then he'll go hunting for a week and I'll head back with the pets.

And football. So much football. And wine. My favorite things.
  • I wouldn't normally have plans in place this early, but my mom just asked me about it.  I think she is feeling a little down because she is about to send my (decade younger) sister off to college and have an empty nest for the first time in 30+ years.  So Fi and I will be going down there, just us and my parents.  We typically go to my partner's aunt and uncle's place, but their marriage is kind of on the rocks right now so I doubt they would be interested in hosting anyway.

Have fun on your cruise! 

My 30th birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year. Normally we'd do the family thing and bounce from house to house but I have no desire to do that on my birthday. So instead we're going down to Orlando for 5 days so I can have warm weather and sunshine for my birthday - something that does NOT happen in NY in November.

@ShesSoCold  we're same age except for months ;) {I'll be 29 in a week} I'm guessing you're a Scorpio {horoscope}

Being Canadian and all, Thanksgiving is in October for me. 2 weeks after we move to be specific, so we're not hosting. This is likely last year we do the run around to people's houses though, so I'm glad for that!

I know we'll see my parents and likely H's mum and stepdad, or we'll end up going to his dad and stepmum's place because they're moving too {before us}

I think that's it?

Another November baby here.  My bday is Nov. 20th.  I've done the math.  It is impossible for T-Day to fall on my birthday.  The 22nd is the closest it comes.

Unfortunately for my mom, it was close the year I was born and she was still in the hospital for it.

I think the end of November can start running into Sagittarious (sp?).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

@ShesSoCold  we're same age except for months ;) {I'll be 29 in a week} I'm guessing you're a Scorpio {horoscope}

I think that's it?

Another November baby here.  My bday is Nov. 20th.  I've done the math.  It is impossible for T-Day to fall on my birthday.  The 22nd is the closest it comes.

Unfortunately for my mom, it was close the year I was born and she was still in the hospital for it.

I think the end of November can start running into Sagittarious (sp?).

Yeah I'm Sagittarius by like a day or two.

My mom was in the hospital for TDay when I was born, too. I was born on the Tuesday before. I'm pretty sure my name is Adrienne because of the Rocky marathons they have all that week.

So close! I know so many Sagittarius (December babies) lol Fyi that's a beautiful name regardless :wink:
  • Cruise sounds awesome CMG!

TDay is October for me, and still no plans yet! Likely family dinner- hopefully more than one ;).

Now I am craving turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy...mmmmm..... oh, and pie!! All the pie!
  • FI is working day shift that day and I am working the day half. We're not sure who's going to be hosting this year, my aunt and grandparents "take turns" (aka, my grandparents do it when my aunt isn't able to do it). A cruise sounds awesome!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll be working, but hopefully only a half shift. Last year I tried to split the day between my house and my mom's, but it was just waaaaayyy to chaotic. So this year I'm thinking I'm going to just stay at my place and go to my mom's the day after. Besides I have a habit of collecting friends who have no close family around so I love inviting them over for huge meals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards