Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

When to send destination wedding invitations?

Hi all! 

My fiancé and I have a Late june 2017 wedding in Hawaii. My fiancé is from the Midwest and I'm from Hawaii, so about 70% of our invitees are from the continent and the rest are already in Hawaii. We sent out save the dates 11 months out and included date and city/state but no link to a wedding website. 

I was originally aiming to send out invitations in early February, so 4.5 months before the wedding, but I'm worrying this is too early after reading about the 2-3 month timeline most folks suggest for destination invites. Is it okay to send out invitations 3 months out if guests won't have any formal info about hotels or the exact location of the wedding (which is about 7 miles from most hotels)?

any advice or insight appreciated!

Re: When to send destination wedding invitations?

• Options

Usually, for destination weddings, the STDs have all the necessary information so that guests can book. If you didn't have that information on the STD, you may have to send invites earlier than normal. Usual invite time line is 4-8 weeks before a wedding but with your situation it might be best to send 3 months out. It is not ideal, but might work.

You could also send out (email/phone/letter) the wedding website information now and then send out the actual invites at the normal time.

• Options
    Thanks! I've considered the additional email/letter to let out of town guests know about the wedding website, but wasn't sure about etiquette and sending multiple pieces of communication. Do you know of any examples for this type of one-off communication? 
  • Options
    Since you have already notified your guests with a Save the Date, invitations should go out about eight weeks before your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We sent our 8-10 weeks before the wedding, but many were going to England and Chile so we budgeted for a bit more time for those.  We didn't do actual STD's, but sent our an e-mail and had a wedding website with some information.  We had no issues with guests travelling

• Options
    I think 12 weeks is perfectly acceptable. 
  • Options
    I think it is a victimless crime to send your invitations out early, as long as you are not also requesting an earlier RSVP date.

Likewise, I think it would be fine to send a simple e-mail with your wedding website to all your guests. Usually your wedding website with travel information would be included on your STD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards