Wedding Woes

Re: .

• You have posted this on three different boards. You should XP when you cross post.

You need to take a breath and calm down. I don't think the blocks are going to ruin your wedding. You can ask the venue to paint them a neutral color but there is nothing you can do if they don't. As for removing them, I understood from your post that they are a safety precaution in the event of a hurricane. I think it is unreasonable to expect them to remove them. Hurricane> wedding. 
  • Thanks for tip about cross posting, not sure how to do it and I'm not sure how to find other brides who are using the venue, so wanted I it to get on a few different pages.

These blocks are never here, are were moved for a storm that didn't affect our area. If they were put here every hurricane season then that is a different story, I would have seen them before. Visiting the venue less than a month from my wedding and seeing a change this big is upsetting. These blocks completely change the ambience of the venue.

Still looking for advice from couples who have gotten married here.

• Thanks for tip about cross posting, not sure how to do it and I'm not sure how to find other brides who are using the venue, so wanted I it to get on a few different pages.

These blocks are never here, are were moved for a storm that didn't affect our area. If they were put here every hurricane season then that is a different story, I would have seen them before. Visiting the venue less than a month from my wedding and seeing a change this big is upsetting. These blocks completely change the ambience of the venue.

Still looking for advice from couples who have gotten married here.

Sorry I wasn't clear. When you crosspost just put XP at the beginning of the title.

I understand that they are a recent addition, but really doubt they will remove them because of the expense of removing them and resetting them every time there is a hurricane. I think your best bet is to ask for them to paint them a neutral color. Good luck.
  • fixed! Thanks for the tip.
  • There is nothing wrong with contacting the venue and telling them your concerns. It's unlikely they will move them, but they will have dealt with weddings there this season. Talk to them about access to and from the beach, maybe they have ramps or some other solution. 

You may need to prepare yourself for the fact that they will not accommodate any of your requests, and unless you contract says something to the effect that they will not put up blocks you might be out of luck, it's their discretion to make changes they deem necessary to the property. 
  • Thank you. :)  We are preparing for whatever they decide, but thought it couldn't hurt to try to contact other couples using the same venue.
  • You could also ask the venue for names of couples that have had events there since the blocks to see what they did. Might be quicker than hoping someone here has used them?
  • That is a great idea! I will see if they will share that with me. Thanks!
  • OP, why the DD? Totally rude!
  • How did this get posted so many times and no one quoted it anywhere?!  I get the gist, but lose out on Part 1 of the crazy train!
    Short version:

OP's venue in CT put up rainbow colored 2-foot blocks that she doesn't like the look of, and that block access to the beach where she is planning to have her ceremony, thus making it not handicap accessible. The blocks were put up in anticipation of a hurricane to protect the antique carousel at her venue.

She would like to find other people who are getting married at that venue so that they can complain to the venue about the blocks together, which she feels would have a better effect. She would like the venue to either remove the blocks or paint them a neutral color.

She also expressed that her fiance would be calling the City of New Haven Parks Department to complain, and encouraged others getting married at the venue to call as well.

I think that was it, but there may be information I'm missing!

• Short version:

OP's venue in CT put up rainbow colored 2-foot blocks that she doesn't like the look of, and that block access to the beach where she is planning to have her ceremony, thus making it not handicap accessible. The blocks were put up in anticipation of a hurricane to protect the antique carousel at her venue.

She would like to find other people who are getting married at that venue so that they can complain to the venue about the blocks together, which she feels would have a better effect. She would like the venue to either remove the blocks or paint them a neutral color.

She also expressed that her fiance would be calling the City of New Haven Parks Department to complain, and encouraged others getting married at the venue to call as well.

So she's not upset that the blocks make her venue inaccessible to the handicapped? Just that the color isn't her aesthetic??? 
  • Short version:

So she's not upset that the blocks make her venue inaccessible to the handicapped? Just that the color isn't her aesthetic??? 
    To be fair, I do think she was upset about both. Most people responded that the handicapped accessible thing was something she could likely get them to change, but probably not the aesthetic.

• Yes, she was upset about that aspect - the blocks not allowing wheelchair access. But IMO, it seemed like she was most concerned about the color of the blocks giving off a circus vibe. 
  • Knottie #s is having an outdoor wedding in CT in October? Hurricane or not, I feel like that could be really hit or miss weather-wise. 

Does she need handicapped access to the beach? I can understand this being a legitimate issue, but if it's strictly a question of aesthetics, she's just nuts. If anything she could probably get some fun shots that incorporate rainbow colored blocks. 

• Short version:

To be fair, I do think she was upset about both. Most people responded that the handicapped accessible thing was something she could likely get them to change, but probably not the aesthetic.
    Yes, her grandmother is wheel-chair bound and there is not wheel chair access to the beach.
  • Short version:

Yes, her grandmother is wheel-chair bound and there is not wheel chair access to the beach.
    yeah, but the OP was DDed- so nobody knew that

• *Barbie* said:
    Short version:

yeah, but the OP was DDed- so nobody knew that

I know, that's why I said that - someone asked.
  • If I remember correctly, there was still wheelchair access to the beach, it was just less convenient. Also, she mentioned that the wheelchair was able to be pushed in sand? Or fine for difficult terrain? Something like that?
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    Unless Grandma has the ATWheelchair - WHY would anyone think a beach wedding with that situation was a good idea?!?!  That's like the Michigan chick having her wedding on a frozen lake...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Unless Grandma has the ATWheelchair - WHY would anyone think a beach wedding with that situation was a good idea?!?!  That's like the Michigan chick having her wedding on a frozen lake...
    The one whose reception was a hot chocolate bar and nothing else? That was my favorite.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I was thinking that too.  I was hoping she was just looking for a way to get Grandma on the beach for photos and not the actual ceremony.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    The one whose reception was a hot chocolate bar and nothing else? That was my favorite.

Yep!  That special snowflake! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards