Wedding Woes

Postponing the wedding

FW and I have done some talking yesterday and today and have decided to postpone the wedding, probably until spring. I already notified my bridesmaids and my brother (niece and nephew in the WP). I know we need to notify vendors, return gifts, and send out announcements; is there anything else we need to do etiquette-wise?

P.S. I know this isn't the etiquette board, but I'm also feeling kind of sad. Angry at myself too, for not paying attention.

Re: Postponing the wedding

• Sorry to hear this @OurWildKingdom. It sounds like you have everything covered. Take care of yourself.
  • (Hugs) @OurWildKingdom i don't know if anything else you have to do etiquette wise, I just want to say I am here if you want to talk. I know how close you were and can empathize with how disappointed you must feel. Obviously you and FW are making the best decision for you guys, don't be too hard on yourself. Good decisions are not always easy.
  • I'm sorry, OWK.  Continue to take care of yourself and do whatever is necessary to move forward in a healthy way.  There is nothing wrong with slow and steady.  Keep talking.  Stay hopeful and keep the faith.
  • Oh that sucks....but just remember your upcoming date was just that, a date. Your wedding will be beautiful regardless of when it takes place. 

Hope all is well with you two otherwise! (Hugs)
  • You sound all good etiquette-wise, but I just wanted to echo pp's - you and FW have come to this decision for presumably good reasons so don't feel the need to explain yourselves unless you want to/feel comfortable doing so. FWIW, I think it is incredibly brave to make a decision like this. If it's not the right time, it's not the right time.

Sending good vibes your way.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016

Do what needs to be done OWK!  Etiquette wise - this is the only thing I think you might not have covered yet...  Except - cupcake instead!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Announcements should be short and simple.  No explanations.  You can buy simple blank white notecards and envelopes at Michaels or Hobby Lobby very inexpensively, and print them out yourselves.  <3

The wedding of
    OurWildKingdom
    and
    Future wife
    will not take place as previously announced.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Etiquette-wise you sound all set.  It couldn't have been an easy conversation/decision to come to, but it's great that you two are able to communicate honestly and openly.  Hope you're okay <3
  • I'm sorry OWK.  This is tough now, but eventually you and FW will realize how much it is for the best.  As a PP said, it is exceptionally brave and responsible to call off the wedding instead of going through all of the motions and getting married.

As for your vendors, see if they can simply transfer the money you have already paid them to a new date in the future.  That way, you may not lose as much money.  As CMG said, also send out simple cards or make phone calls to everyone, since I know your wedding was coming up soon - you may not have time for cards.  Possibly enlist your WP to assist with the calls - I know I would gladly do this for a friend, in your current situation.

Work on yourselves and your relationship.  In time, I know you two will be in a better place and ready for marriage.  Good luck!

• I'm sorry OWL.  You've got some good advice.  Take care of yourself.
  • i think you're set - just take care of yourself, and don't feel the need to explain to anyone. 
  • Ditto PP's but want to add that since you KNOW some (rude) people will ask why or (not neccsarily rude but maybe) gasp like someone died...

You might want to come up with a  (cheesy?) line to have in your back pocket. When people ask "what happened" maybe something like "oh my goodness- what didn't happen! Its a long story but like I said..we're just post poning." First time with a smile then if someone presses just give them "the look" and then bean dip.

• So sorry, OWK.  I'm just reading this now :(  The other PP's have it covered.

• Sorry to hear, but as other PPs said - you need to take care of yourself {yourselves}
  • Sorry to hear, but I also think you are brave and responsible for postponing- you've gotta do what's best for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards