Wedding Woes
Options

Am I over reacting ???

Hello Everyone

Im not sure if Im over reacting or not. Our wedding is 10/1/2017 so more than a year away. We have already booked a few thing one being the venue. Now we love the venue and at first their communication was awesome. But after we put in out deposit it all stopped. We researched the venue before we booked and didn't find anything negative about them. One of my co workers even gave them a great review.

So here is the problem. We booked back in April and was told we would be sent invites to come to a food tasting that's where we can pick out our menu. Now since we are super early I know the tasting wont be until late this year or even next year. So I emailed in June and asked if he had a date yet so we can make sure our schedule was clear. He didn't respond so I waited about 2 weeks and emailed again thats when he said they were super busy and he was getting everything together now and will let us know. Ok great I understood that.

Fast forward to now. I emailed on Spet 1st and pretty much asked the same thing. Our schedule is super crazy (We work all weekend) and we need at least 2 weeks to request a day off. I understand that they are busy but I have not gotten any response at this point. I sent a 2nd email on 7th and I called and left a voicemail on the 12th. Still no response. I know our wedding is more than a year away so I have to wait my turn but this is stating to make me worry. Am I over reacting? 

Re: Am I over reacting ???

• Options
    Right -  I get that and that's what I figured but I'm like if its not going to be until next year why not just say that? The way he explained it was as if he was going to be sending things out within the next "few" months so that what I expected.

I'm just excited and ready to get the ball rolling. Thanks

• Options
    Exactly that's what have me concerned. I'm not trying to "Bug" them but come on. It only take a sec to send a email and say Hey I got your response. We haven't set a date yet - it will more than likely be sometime next year. We will reach out when it gets closer to that time.

I get that they are busy I really do and that its over a year away. BUT Completely ignoring a customer is not good customer service and is bad for business. I figured Ill wait a few more months than reach back out.  Thank you 
  • Options
    Thank you. I love the time line you gave that way I wont feel like I'm not getting thing done in time. That helps a ton!!!!  <3<3<3
  • Options
    Now, if your wedding was October 1, 2016 then I'd be concerned, but with a year to go - nope.  What you're experiencing is not at all unusual with many venues.  The prices also will change between now and next year this time because of the fluctuations in the market, it's not worth your or their time stressing over this now. 
  • Options
    Completely overreacting. 
  • Options
    If you want a time frame for the tasting, I'd wait until winter when the wedding events slow down a bit and then contact them. "What is the time frame for tastings?".

At our venue, they only offered tastings every so many months (so only 3-4 tastings per year), and it was on a specific day. We could not attend ours as we were out of town, so we picked what sounded good on the menu.

We also had a bit of inconsistency with communication, such as taking a long time to respond to e-mails or voice mail, and found out our coordinator was off on leave but no one else seemed to be checking her voicemail. At the end of the day though, they contacted me when I needed to be contacted and everything was carried out without a hitch.

Even if I dislike not being able to be in contact with someone as needed, I do think the venues have so many events going on they don't have time to deal with a wedding a year in advance.
  • Options
    Another vote for overreacting. I got married at a pretty popular resort. We booked a year out. When I contacted my coordinator, it would take her many days to get back to me. These people typically don't work every day of the week, and they're very busy. So yes, they might not reply to someone whose wedding is a year away, as they're dealing with weddings that are taking place that month, or that week even. 

Also, like a PP said, menus change. What they're serving now might be a little different next week. I believe my H and I did the tasting just one month prior. 
  • Options
    My best friend is the event planner for a catering company, she received phone calls, emails and text messages at literally all times of the day. A couple of months ago she received a 3am voicemail from a mother hosting a baby shower two months out. 

Her wedding season typically ends in October. She slows down in November, then picks back up in December for the Holiday, January for the car show, dead in February, and so on. She had 6 events in one day two weeks ago. 

As Lynda said, they're busy and that 2 minute email you want right now may have been requested during a dinner launch, during a pre event pack or even a catering meeting. She has to prioritize her communication, and while she hates that she may be slow getting back to people, if you're emailing her for an event that is in 13 months, you're not going to receive priority. 

There are plenty of other things to do and plan I'm sure. Just feel content that you can mark off venue from your checklist and keep moving down the list. 
  • Options
    Unless you're planning to swap venues post tasting, you don't need to freak out until you're a month or so out and don't have a menu. 

Stop harassing the people at the venue - it's complete overkill at this point. 
  • Options
    I completely forgot about that - Thank you  
  • Options
    That's what I'm doing now. I just wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Thanks 
  • Options
    If you want to call it harassment then cool beans. I call it - I paid for a service and I was being ignored. Now I get they are busy and I wasn't sure if that's normal that's why I asked here. None the less -Thank you for your comment. 
  • Options
    If you want to call it harassment then cool beans. I call it - I paid for a service and I was being ignored. Now I get they are busy and I wasn't sure if that's normal that's why I asked here. None the less -Thank you for your comment. 
    Nobody has any idea to whom you are replying! Use the quote button!
  • Options
    Nobody has any idea to whom you are replying! Use the quote button!
    Ha I thought it was reply button 
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    Thank you. I love the time line you gave that way I wont feel like I'm not getting thing done in time. That helps a ton!!!!  <3<3<3

I often use the analogy on here "Remember - funerals are often planned using many of the same vendors in a 3-4 day total span of time.  Relax, there is no reason to stress over this right now!"
  • Options
    My best friend is the event planner for a catering company, she received phone calls, emails and text messages at literally all times of the day. A couple of months ago she received a 3am voicemail from a mother hosting a baby shower two months out. 

Her wedding season typically ends in October. She slows down in November, then picks back up in December for the Holiday, January for the car show, dead in February, and so on. She had 6 events in one day two weeks ago. 

As Lynda said, they're busy and that 2 minute email you want right now may have been requested during a dinner launch, during a pre event pack or even a catering meeting. She has to prioritize her communication, and while she hates that she may be slow getting back to people, if you're emailing her for an event that is in 13 months, you're not going to receive priority. 

There are plenty of other things to do and plan I'm sure. Just feel content that you can mark off venue from your checklist and keep moving down the list. 

• Options
    *Barbie* said:
    Unless you're planning to swap venues post tasting, you don't need to freak out until you're a month or so out and don't have a menu. 

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:

Someone needs to exhume Galileo and let him know that he was wrong, and the earth actually revolves around you and your Fall 2017 wedding. Good lord, paying for a venue (as everyone else getting married there also did) doesn't entitle you to have them at your beck and call 24/7. Get over yourself, or this is going to be a really long year: for you, your FI, friends, family, wedding party, vendors...
    lol - I never said it was. But thank you 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    Did you guys ever notice that when the subject is "am i overreacting?" (or some form of that) that the person always is?

I'm sure there is also some sort of mathematical relationship between the amount of punctuation in the subject line and the degree of overreaction. 

Well maybe it is. Just like I'm sure those same threads always seem to bring out the people that like to play the "internet bully" as well. But hey your entitled to your opinion. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    Did you guys ever notice that when the subject is "am i overreacting?" (or some form of that) that the person always is?

I'm sure there is also some sort of mathematical relationship between the amount of punctuation in the subject line and the degree of overreaction. 

Well maybe it is. Just like I'm sure those same threads always seem to bring out the people that like to play the "internet bully" as well. But hey your entitled to your opinion. 
    No one is bullying here. No one is putting you down or calling you names. You asked a question, if you were overreacting, and the general consensus was yes, you should chill out a bit. No one said anything bad to you, or about you, so I don't get where the "internet bully" comes from. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

No one is bullying here. No one is putting you down or calling you names. You asked a question, if you were overreacting, and the general consensus was yes, you should chill out a bit. No one said anything bad to you, or about you, so I don't get where the "internet bully" comes from. 
    I'm very chill and I'm very thankful for those that helped and answered my question. But the whole "mathematical relationship" thing I just laugh at. If you don't think that was a shot at me then cool. Some people just like to take things and go over the top. I prev said I was wrong and I NOW understand. But of course there will always be the ones that still go way over the top. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

For Fuck's sake, no one is bullying! There is a difference between snark and bullying. If you cannot discern the two, please get off the internet. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

For Fuck's sake, no one is bullying! There is a difference between snark and bullying. If you cannot discern the two, please get off the internet. 
    lol Thank you :-) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards