Wedding Woes
Options

WTELMF?

Dear Prudence,

I work for a small company. I’m in a pretty high-up position and am often in meetings with the president. For some reason, he thinks it’s appropriate to playfully hit me in the arm, head, or side. If I say something he thinks is funny, he will say, “Oh, you!” and hit me. I HATE IT. I am not trying to be funny for this reaction. Half the time I don’t think what I’ve said is hilarious anyway. In the past, at other jobs, any time I have ever pointed out anything inappropriate a male colleague did to a female (myself or others), I have always been blamed. Do I just suck it up and (literally) keep taking one for the team? He does not do this with any of the men in the office, ever.

—Boss Keeps Hitting Me—Not on Me

Re: WTELMF?

• Options
    YES!  And the episode with Chandler's boss that slapped him on the butt and he had to fake laugh at his jokes.

• Options
    Is it possible to say something privately? Say that LW doesn't feel comfortable with the reactions? Or just say it's not appropriate?
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Am I the only one who thought of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7m5v8pLtog 
    mrsconn23 said:
    YES!  And the episode with Chandler's boss that slapped him on the butt and he had to fake laugh at his jokes.

Yes and yes.

Other than that, I got nothin'. I'd deal with it, personally. I would dislike the conversation about it more than the actual hitting so I'd shut my mouth.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

You can train a puppy to not bite you hard by yelping loudly.  That's how they learn to play with each other, so it also translates to humans when the pups are little.  Next time boss hits her, she should grab her arm, side, etc. and say how much that hurts. 

And while she doesn't need to do it in front of everyone, she should say something privately to boss about how she doesn't like that he playfully hits her on the arm, side, wherever when she says something he feels is funny.

This is tough because its a small company and this is the President.  If LW is uncomfortable with it though, she should speak up.  It doesn't have to be female related, it can just be a "Boss, I'm sure you don't even realize what you are doing, but sometimes when you laugh at something I say, you also hit me on the arm, side or head.  And often it hurts when you do it.  I was just hoping that you could stop please."

• Options
    if she doesn't want to talk to him directly, she could also make sure to sit on the opposite side of the table from him. 

• Options
    I wonder if she is the only female or if there are other females in the office and if so do they have the same issue. It doesn't change anything but just curiosity 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards