Wedding Party
Options

MOH's post-wedding vent

ok, i guess i know the relationship
 is over but i would love some feedback as i can’t figure out what went wrong/did i do something?

a friend got engaged last summer and married a month ago. though we lived 15 minutes from each other and work/school 1.5 blocks from each other deveyrday, we rarely saw each other. i went over about a week after her engagement, gave her a wedding planner and we watched a say yes o the dress marathon. this was august 2015.

right at the same time i started dating someone from my school program who just happened to live in her building. in the seven months they lived in the same building, despite numerous attempts on my part to get them to meet, she never would (they didn’t know each other at all). i tried planning something and i tried spontaneous texts, like when i would see her car home, etc. but after a couple months of her literally just not answering the texts i stopped.

in November she mailed me a birthday present.  t was novelty ice cube tray that appeared to be regifted. we rarely exchanged birthday gifts and this was really out of character for her, but i was just gracious said thank you. first kind of weird thing…

also in November she made plans with me to go dress shopping in a city two hours away. i was super excited, she said i was the only BM she wanted to come and told me the first week of December on my off day would be probably be the date. the she called back a couple weeks later she had scheduled the appointment for the one day i literally could not leave the state (previously scheduled meeting, could not get it moved at all). i thought she might try to reschedule once she realized that but…nope, and before you say so, as far as i know this wasn’t a crazy upscale place that was booking out months in advance. and these were weekday appointments because both of our off days were doing the week. she posts a picture to Facebook after and she’s there with another friend who i’ve never heard of but turns out to be one of the bridesmaids (i find out six months later). shed made such a big deal about only wanting me there, i was sort of confused.

at Christmas she sends me a gift, too weird. It’s a $30 visa gift card with 6.95 activation fee (so basically, $24) from her and her fiancee. this was SO weird. we never talk about money but she obviously knows im still a student. i would never ask for or take money from her. but here she was, basically giving me $24 cash. it felt so weird, and maybe i was projecting some of my own feelings about working on this degree and not being able to spend like my friends that have already started their careers but man it just felt weird.

I got a huge job offer at this time that I was simply unable to take because of logistics, but I was really proud of myself and my potential future with this company at a later date. I share this with her and she scoffs about it. that felt sh*tty but again, trying not to project my own stuff. in the same convo she says her mother has decided to throw her bridal shower because she "just wants it to be nice.” idk, that felt like an insinuation i wouldn’t do a “nice” job.

i started to get pretty uncomfortable at that point. in january and February in the space of two weeks i found i needed dental surgery that insurance wouldn’t cover and huge tree branches fell on my car during a storm, the repairs for which my car insurance also wouldn’t cover. though my family was able to help me with both i still started to feel a little tight about cashflow and wasn’t sure i was going to be able to leave that stash i’d set aside for the wedding untouched. with all the weird vibes from her lately and simply not seeing her for six months despite our proximity i started to think about backing out. i let her know about the teeth and car and asked if she could start giving me some estimates on dress, etc. so i could see if i could still swing it. there had been NOTHING up until this point. she was leaving for vacation in a week or so and said she let me know after that. i really wanted to see her in person and kind of lay out what budgetary stuff looked like for me since she hadn’t asked what i could afford for the dress and i was uncomfortable texting about it but she didn’t have time to meet.

i think it ended up being more like a month. she never asked about budget but just sends a mass text to me and seven other recipients one day (no idea who they are at this point) with the dress. so from that text i find out the dress is about twice what i was figuring for price, im going to need to buy a strapless bra which was the one thing i asked for not to happen when she has me to be MOH, i’m a 28HH and strapless bras are insanely expensive and uncomfortable at that size, and oh the wedding party has now grown to 16 PEOPLE! this is no longer the mid-sized wedding i thought i was getting into. 

i suck it up. at the same time my BF leaves for a months long project for school that has a 13-hour time difference and one of my other very good friends, who the bride doesn’t know, attempts suicide. i.e. i was in a pretty bad place in april/may, but i don’t say anything the few times i talk to the bride. just sharing this to point out that maybe i did do something unkind in my bad mood that i wasnt aware of.

i leave for a planned summer job out of state. this had been known for almost the whole time since she was engaged. it would be expensive for me to get tickets to constantly come back and forth for wedding stuff so i let her her know in advance that if her mom wanted help with the shower id be happy to help up to the day i leave. the shower ends up scheduled two weeks after i leave. but i still decide to go back. i really felt like it would be unkind to not go and i wanted to meet the seven other bridesmaids because at that point i was planning a bachelorette party in the location i was working for the summer (resort area). my family owns property there and said i could host the party. so besides a travel cost of about $50 each, these girls were going to get a weekend vacation for free in a really nice area. they seemed enthusiastic about it i let the bride know ahead of the shower so we could all discuss it there.

the shower was only the second time i had seen her since she got engaged a year before. at the shower i knew no one but tried to make the best of it. this was also only the third time i met her fiance despite them being together 3+ years at this point. just an all around uncomfortable day. i left a little early since the sister-in-law seemed all over stuff and there was little i could do to help.

the bachelorette is supposed to be about six weeks later. maybe four weeks before it as im trying to get a final head count so i can finish purchasing things like “last sail before the veil” shirts, etc (having already put out some money for things that i can’t return now because its past the date) the bride sends me a message  that says “not enough people can come, i don’t think it will be much of a party.” i had opened my doors to the bridesmaids, groomsmen, and her work friends. i knew exactly 0 of them except for meeting at the shower, but was doing my best to communicate online and everyone seemed excited about this. but i wasnt going to fight it. 

this is where i think things went really sour. she decided to do a party at a venue about an equal distance as where i was but in a different direction (i.e. travel was not the issue). this venue was insanely expensive, like hundreds of dollars a night. i literally just could not afford it. and i was very upfront with her about that, but essentially it meant she was throwing her own bachelorette. 

she said i could come along and watch but not stay over, and i was like…what? if the roles were reversed i certainly wouldn’t put her in a comprising financial situation. But if i somehow decided i had to have something she couldn’t afford, i would would have wanted her to participate enough to pay for her. im NOT expecting money from her, im just saying i would have bent over backwards to make sure she could come and enjoy herself.

so i didn’t go. and my feelings were really hurt, i sincerely felt so left out and like she hadn’t wanted me around at all. it almost seemed like she had made everything from getting the dress, to the shower, the bachleorette party totally inaccessible to me. this is when i stopped paying for anything else. instead of a personalized gift i got a generous gift card with my family and BF. i decided not get my hair and makeup done there (would have been another $200). i did my own nails and make-up, had my hair done by own hair dresser. she started confirming RSVPs for all the wedding weekend events and would only refer to my BF of a year as my “plus 1.” girl, you have Facebook. you know his name. he was your neighbor for fucks sake!

about a week before the wedding she asked me if was going to stay at the hotel. i already explained my new apartment was 20 minutes from venue/hotel. but i looked it up for shits and giggles. $200 a night, that was the “group” rate. i was like, has she listened to anything I’ve said in the last couple months regarding the money issues? i had a family vacation planned for the week before her wedding which i was going to be leaving early for the wedding. i get a text from her the day before rehearsal that says “how’s your speech coming?” my blood just about boils then. she never, not once asked me to write a speech. i honestly didn’t even answer her at that point. two days notice, while im on vacation with my family. come on.

not staying over after the rehearsal dinner seemed to really piss her off but honestly i lived a few minutes away and wasn’t going blow $400 so that i could get drunk two nights in a row. when i showed up the next day to help her get ready she was pretty stony towards me. the SIL totally took over the MOH roles to the point where the bride’s grandmother, who i have known since childhood, questioned why i wasn’t in any of the professional photos of her getting ready and the SIL was. i wanted to be like “yeah, no kidding” but at the point i was super checked out. I spent the night dancing with my BF, we went home around 11:30 (venue was open til midnight). it was a nice night and a moving ceremony, but the vibe was uncomfortable the whole time. i saw her once at the reception, when i said goodbye.

it’s been a month. i haven’t heard from her at all. haven’t been tagged in any pictures, haven’t gotten a text. haven’t gotten a thank you card. i really just wanted to vent and if i didn’t anything super shitty, tell me, but i felt like i was doing my best the whole year and somehow it was just not coming together.

Re: MOH's post-wedding vent

• Options
    ok, i guess i know the relationship
     is over but i would love some feedback as i can’t figure out what went wrong/did i do something?

a friend got engaged last summer and married a month ago. though we lived 15 minutes from each other and work/school 1.5 blocks from each other deveyrday, we rarely saw each other. i went over about a week after her engagement, gave her a wedding planner and we watched a say yes o the dress marathon. this was august 2015.

right at the same time i started dating someone from my school program who just happened to live in her building. in the seven months they lived in the same building, despite numerous attempts on my part to get them to meet, she never would (they didn’t know each other at all). i tried planning something and i tried spontaneous texts, like when i would see her car home, etc. but after a couple months of her literally just not answering the texts i stopped.

in November she mailed me a birthday present.  t was novelty ice cube tray that appeared to be regifted. we rarely exchanged birthday gifts and this was really out of character for her, but i was just gracious said thank you. first kind of weird thing…

also in November she made plans with me to go dress shopping in a city two hours away. i was super excited, she said i was the only BM she wanted to come and told me the first week of December on my off day would be probably be the date. the she called back a couple weeks later she had scheduled the appointment for the one day i literally could not leave the state (previously scheduled meeting, could not get it moved at all). i thought she might try to reschedule once she realized that but…nope, and before you say so, as far as i know this wasn’t a crazy upscale place that was booking out months in advance. and these were weekday appointments because both of our off days were doing the week. she posts a picture to Facebook after and she’s there with another friend who i’ve never heard of but turns out to be one of the bridesmaids (i find out six months later). shed made such a big deal about only wanting me there, i was sort of confused.

at Christmas she sends me a gift, too weird. It’s a $30 visa gift card with 6.95 activation fee (so basically, $24) from her and her fiancee. this was SO weird. we never talk about money but she obviously knows im still a student. i would never ask for or take money from her. but here she was, basically giving me $24 cash. it felt so weird, and maybe i was projecting some of my own feelings about working on this degree and not being able to spend like my friends that have already started their careers but man it just felt weird.

I got a huge job offer at this time that I was simply unable to take because of logistics, but I was really proud of myself and my potential future with this company at a later date. I share this with her and she scoffs about it. that felt sh*tty but again, trying not to project my own stuff. in the same convo she says her mother has decided to throw her bridal shower because she "just wants it to be nice.” idk, that felt like an insinuation i wouldn’t do a “nice” job.

i started to get pretty uncomfortable at that point. in january and February in the space of two weeks i found i needed dental surgery that insurance wouldn’t cover and huge tree branches fell on my car during a storm, the repairs for which my car insurance also wouldn’t cover. though my family was able to help me with both i still started to feel a little tight about cashflow and wasn’t sure i was going to be able to leave that stash i’d set aside for the wedding untouched. with all the weird vibes from her lately and simply not seeing her for six months despite our proximity i started to think about backing out. i let her know about the teeth and car and asked if she could start giving me some estimates on dress, etc. so i could see if i could still swing it. there had been NOTHING up until this point. she was leaving for vacation in a week or so and said she let me know after that. i really wanted to see her in person and kind of lay out what budgetary stuff looked like for me since she hadn’t asked what i could afford for the dress and i was uncomfortable texting about it but she didn’t have time to meet.

i think it ended up being more like a month. she never asked about budget but just sends a mass text to me and seven other recipients one day (no idea who they are at this point) with the dress. so from that text i find out the dress is about twice what i was figuring for price, im going to need to buy a strapless bra which was the one thing i asked for not to happen when she has me to be MOH, i’m a 28HH and strapless bras are insanely expensive and uncomfortable at that size, and oh the wedding party has now grown to 16 PEOPLE! this is no longer the mid-sized wedding i thought i was getting into. 

i suck it up. at the same time my BF leaves for a months long project for school that has a 13-hour time difference and one of my other very good friends, who the bride doesn’t know, attempts suicide. i.e. i was in a pretty bad place in april/may, but i don’t say anything the few times i talk to the bride. just sharing this to point out that maybe i did do something unkind in my bad mood that i wasnt aware of.

i leave for a planned summer job out of state. this had been known for almost the whole time since she was engaged. it would be expensive for me to get tickets to constantly come back and forth for wedding stuff so i let her her know in advance that if her mom wanted help with the shower id be happy to help up to the day i leave. the shower ends up scheduled two weeks after i leave. but i still decide to go back. i really felt like it would be unkind to not go and i wanted to meet the seven other bridesmaids because at that point i was planning a bachelorette party in the location i was working for the summer (resort area). my family owns property there and said i could host the party. so besides a travel cost of about $50 each, these girls were going to get a weekend vacation for free in a really nice area. they seemed enthusiastic about it i let the bride know ahead of the shower so we could all discuss it there.

the shower was only the second time i had seen her since she got engaged a year before. at the shower i knew no one but tried to make the best of it. this was also only the third time i met her fiance despite them being together 3+ years at this point. just an all around uncomfortable day. i left a little early since the sister-in-law seemed all over stuff and there was little i could do to help.

the bachelorette is supposed to be about six weeks later. maybe four weeks before it as im trying to get a final head count so i can finish purchasing things like “last sail before the veil” shirts, etc (having already put out some money for things that i can’t return now because its past the date) the bride sends me a message  that says “not enough people can come, i don’t think it will be much of a party.” i had opened my doors to the bridesmaids, groomsmen, and her work friends. i knew exactly 0 of them except for meeting at the shower, but was doing my best to communicate online and everyone seemed excited about this. but i wasnt going to fight it. 

this is where i think things went really sour. she decided to do a party at a venue about an equal distance as where i was but in a different direction (i.e. travel was not the issue). this venue was insanely expensive, like hundreds of dollars a night. i literally just could not afford it. and i was very upfront with her about that, but essentially it meant she was throwing her own bachelorette. 

she said i could come along and watch but not stay over, and i was like…what? if the roles were reversed i certainly wouldn’t put her in a comprising financial situation. But if i somehow decided i had to have something she couldn’t afford, i would would have wanted her to participate enough to pay for her. im NOT expecting money from her, im just saying i would have bent over backwards to make sure she could come and enjoy herself.

so i didn’t go. and my feelings were really hurt, i sincerely felt so left out and like she hadn’t wanted me around at all. it almost seemed like she had made everything from getting the dress, to the shower, the bachleorette party totally inaccessible to me. this is when i stopped paying for anything else. instead of a personalized gift i got a generous gift card with my family and BF. i decided not get my hair and makeup done there (would have been another $200). i did my own nails and make-up, had my hair done by own hair dresser. she started confirming RSVPs for all the wedding weekend events and would only refer to my BF of a year as my “plus 1.” girl, you have Facebook. you know his name. he was your neighbor for fucks sake!

about a week before the wedding she asked me if was going to stay at the hotel. i already explained my new apartment was 20 minutes from venue/hotel. but i looked it up for shits and giggles. $200 a night, that was the “group” rate. i was like, has she listened to anything I’ve said in the last couple months regarding the money issues? i had a family vacation planned for the week before her wedding which i was going to be leaving early for the wedding. i get a text from her the day before rehearsal that says “how’s your speech coming?” my blood just about boils then. she never, not once asked me to write a speech. i honestly didn’t even answer her at that point. two days notice, while im on vacation with my family. come on.

not staying over after the rehearsal dinner seemed to really piss her off but honestly i lived a few minutes away and wasn’t going blow $400 so that i could get drunk two nights in a row. when i showed up the next day to help her get ready she was pretty stony towards me. the SIL totally took over the MOH roles to the point where the bride’s grandmother, who i have known since childhood, questioned why i wasn’t in any of the professional photos of her getting ready and the SIL was. i wanted to be like “yeah, no kidding” but at the point i was super checked out. I spent the night dancing with my BF, we went home around 11:30 (venue was open til midnight). it was a nice night and a moving ceremony, but the vibe was uncomfortable the whole time. i saw her once at the reception, when i said goodbye.

it’s been a month. i haven’t heard from her at all. haven’t been tagged in any pictures, haven’t gotten a text. haven’t gotten a thank you card. i really just wanted to vent and if i didn’t anything super shitty, tell me, but i felt like i was doing my best the whole year and somehow it was just not coming together.
    That was legitimately too long for me to read in detail, especially what with being capital letter-averse.

From what I gleaned, you seem like you didn't do anything wrong.
  • Options
    Ya she sounds like a real arsehole, from what you've written you have zero to feel badly about. It sucks when friends treat you poorly, but she's shown you her true colours. Maybe she'll realise and apologise, but probably she wont. Just focus on you and all the stuff you've got going on and don't expect anything from her in future. This is one friendship you are better off without.

• Options
    I can't see where you did anything wrong, but we rarely tell people the stuff we did. I'd be interested to hear her side of this. Like PP said, it sounds like she got wrapped up in what was "supposed" to be per movies and fairy tales and forgot that you're a real person. As for the speech, it's pretty customary for the MOH and BM to give a toast at the reception. 
  • Options
    to be completely honest, i'd done a draft of a speech just in case lol (because i am a responsible adult!). but it was more the presumption.
  • Options
    to be completely honest, i'd done a draft of a speech just in case lol (because i am a responsible adult!). but it was more the presumption.
    It's not really presumptuous of her to think you'll do something the MOH customarily does.
  • Options

I disagree. A bride assuming a MOH giving a toast is the same as the bride assuming she'll throw the shower. Not okay. If bride wanted OP to write a toast, she should have asked her way before she did (key word "asked").

Isn't against advice to ask if she's going to throw a shower, though? OP should have asked if the bride wanted or expected her to give a toast, IMO.
  • Options

I disagree. A bride assuming a MOH giving a toast is the same as the bride assuming she'll throw the shower. Not okay. If bride wanted OP to write a toast, she should have asked her way before she did (key word "asked").

Isn't against advice to ask if she's going to throw a shower, though? OP should have asked if the bride wanted or expected her to give a toast, IMO.

That makes sense and I agree. I think it's the assumption that's rubbing me the wrong way.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    IMO there's a big difference between saying "hey, we are planning out a time line for the evening and were wondering if you were planning on saying anything at dinner. If not, no worries!" and straight out asking someone if they're throwing you a party where the sole purpose is to give you gifts. So that's the one thing I don't think the bride did wrong. But everything else...she kind of sounds like a self absorbed bitch. 

Sorry, OP. I wouldn't try to salvage this friendship. You didn't do anything wrong. I had a similar situation happen once and while I'm still friends with the person, the relationship never really recovered. 

• Options
    Thanks all--just to clarify so you guys aren't upset with each other, I agree it was totally ok for her to want me to do a speech and that's why I had written the draft just in case. What upset me about that was that I was so far removed from planning that she didn't even mention it to me until two days before and presumptively treated it like a subject we had addressed many times, when in reality I had been involved in a total of 0% of the planning. that's all.

i appreciate your responses. i was feeling so down on myself about this, good to know i'm not alone.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    I don't think you did anything wrong OP.

Sure, there were a few times you could've spoken up more for yourself. "Bride, what's going on with BM dresses?" "I am sorry Bride but that dress/venue/party is out of my budget". But that is more to make things easier on yourself, not that you did anything explicitly wrong.

The only thing you were required to do is show up the day of in the agreed upon dress (as in a dress that suited your budget).

I'd let the relationship fizzle. Let her come back to you, and if she does, you can decide then if you want to maintain the friendship. Otherwise, let her go.
  • Options
    TDLR; OP is MOH to her (former) BFF. Bride gets caught up in wedding planning and acts like a total bridezilla, not taking into account friend's financial issues or schedule. There are major communication issues. The friendship has basically waned.

OP I don't think you did anything wrong. It's obvious you and this person have some major communication problems. You thought the bach was a go, she didn't. She thought you were writing a speech, you didn't. And so on. If y'all rekindle, I think you need to be really open about not feeling included, having your financial situation play second fiddle to her vision, and not receiving a TY note for your gift. If she doesn't listen or gets super defensive, it's probably not a long-term friendship.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I feel for you. ((((((Hugs)))))))))
  • Options

Thank you for this because I AM PISSED.

Really though, disagree =/= upset.

I'm also not upset. 

The advice you got to let this friendship fizzle is good advice. She obviously doesn't respect you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards