Chit Chat

Tell me I'm not crazy!

Hello everyone! I have been gone for a while but I needed a place to make sure I'm not crazy! We are being relocated to SLC in December and want to buy, I have been watching the market and things are moving fast down there! Over a month ago we found a house online that looked great, had the parking we needed, four car garage, location, and in our price range.. two days later it was under contract.

Fast forward to yesterday, the house came back on the market because the buyer's financing fell through and they dropped the price because they need a fast sale to close on another house. I had our realtor go check it out with me on facetime and it looked good. There has been a lot of activity on it so we put in an offer without seeing it in person or the neighborhood, basically we are going in blind because based on the market this is a one time deal.

FREAKING OUT that we will get it, and freaking out that we won't! I feel like we have officially gone off the crazy train, this is our first house we have put an offer in on without seeing it in person.

Has anyone else done this in a hot market!?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tell me I'm not crazy!

• Is this your first house, or first time buying sight unseen?

I will preface this by saying (since I know you're probably making yourself sick with anxiety), that I do not think you're crazy.  But there are benefits to seeing a home in person, and if you can, and I'd strongly encourage you to go see it during your due diligence period if the sellers accept your offer.

H and I are buying our second house.  My job has unexpectedly relocated me several states away, and we just started the closing process on our (hopefully) new home.

The market is ON FIRE in that area, and it has been unbelievably stressful.  Over the last couple of months, I have watched literally hundreds of gorgeous homes that would be perfect for us go under contract and sell within days of being listed.  The houses are moving so fast that it has crossed our minds to make an offer sight unseen.  

However, this is not our preference.  I do not think H and I will ever make an offer on a house without seeing it ourselves IRL first.  We've just seen too much of the "perfect on paper, loser IRL" for us to consider that, given the commitment of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars.  We cannot afford to consider a home an "impulse buy."  

And I don't think we would trust anyone to house hunt in our stead.  No one knows your housing wishes and needs like you and your H.  A realtor will tell you it looks good because he will make money if you purchase.  He is motivated to get you to buy, and if he's a dual agent, he'll be even more motivated.  That doesn't mean your REA is lying to you, or misleading you.  It just means he has a vested interest that he can use to your disadvantage.  He may tell you about the crack in the granite countertop, the water stain on the ceiling, the squishy spot near the house.  He may not.  It's a gamble.  But those are all things that you could see yourself if you saw the home in person, and you wouldn't be reliant on someone else to make those observations for you.

We waited until my company cleared my house hunting trip, and we rolled with the options on the market at that time.  If your company offers that, take advantage of it!   If we couldn't manage to get a house hunting trip in before we had to move, we would have found a place to rent and given ourselves time to do the research and look at homes in person, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Good luck.  I hope it all works out for you.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I agree with everything @AtomicBlonde said above. We relocated this past spring and we could only spend a few days in town, but it was really good we did. There were so many that looked great online, but then the setup wasn't what we pictured, or there were major problems they didn't photographer or disclose, or the specific neighborhood wasn't what we were looking for. 

That being said I don't think you're crazy. We put the offer in, had the inspection, and closed without seeing our house a second time. You just have to weigh are you willing to potentially lose your good faith money or inspection fees if something comes up? Also be sure of what your contract says about getting out of you find its not the right place. 
  • @lyndausvi may be helpful.  Her parents moved around frequently and may have been in your situation before.

FWIW, I don't think you guys are completely crazy.  But you should definitely schedule an in person visit before/during your inspection.  Assuming the housing market stays hot, if after a year of living there and you don't like the house, you can put it up on the market and find a different home for yourselves.

• TBH, I think this is crazy. I might be really picky, but H and I looked at a ton of houses and some of the ones we thought we would love, had things we disliked that we noticed in person.

Like, one house had a really really short garage that we couldn't tell in pictures. Our regular cab truck wouldn't have fit in it. Another had just been flipped and looking closely, you could tell how cheaply and quickly it had been done and how much would have to be fixed. Another had a sewage treatment plant nearby that we could smell at the house.

So I definitely agree with PP to see if you can get there and check the place out while you still have time to pull your offer.

Good luck!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • In all fairness, house shopping makes everyone crazy.  But with that said, I agree with PP's that an in person visit by you or someone else you trust in the area could do a lot to ease your mind.

We lucked out in the house hunt and placed an offer on the third house we saw.  However, based on listings alone the second one we saw was our favorite.  The listing never mentioned that there was the perpetual scent of weed outside nor did it show how short the shower heads were.
  • I've been relocated for work several times.

One time, I put money on a new build before the move so the house could get started before we got out there. We ended up choosing an awesome neighborhood but I got caught up in the heat of the moment because the market was hot. Had I waited until I got out there, I would have saved money because it was around the time when the real estate took a crap. But, I loved the house and we ended up buying another home in the same neighborhood when we outgrew the first. 

This last relo, the DFW market is hot. We could not decide between two neighborhoods which are very different. We rented instead. It gave us time to figure it out and we started putting in offers well in advance of the lease being up. It worked out well, too, because we bought a place 3 months left on the lease, so we had time to paint, etc before we had to live in the house. 

So, it's not crazy, but having done it both ways, I personally would rent again if put into the same situation.

• My parents moved a ton in their marriage.  6 states, 4 of which they moved to twice + international moves.  They always did a house hunting trip.   They would come into town for 3-4 days and leave under contract.    

They knew exactly what they wanted, they didn't waste time looking at potential houses.   They could pull up to a house and decide right away it wasn't for them before even going in.   Many relators would try to get them to at least go in.  They always said, no need to waste anyone's time.

I personally have rented places sight unseen when moving to another state. I would not do that to buy though.  I think it's easier with the Zillow and stuff to get an idea before you buy, but pictures do not tell the whole story.   There is something to be said for seeing something in person.    It takes 5 years to recoup your money.    Not worth it too me.

Now when they lived in Japan they did build a house back in the states.  They saw the lot before starting.   I was living in the area so I would stop by to check on the progress.  This was during the days of cell phone bags, so know snapping pictures and sending them via wifi.   That was the closest they came to getting a house sight unseen.  

If you have a trusted friend or family in the area that could check out the place that might help.  Even then I'm not quite sure, but yeah, I think it's crazy to buy something like a house sight unseen.       

Everyone has different comfort levels on the subject.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't think you're crazy.  Before H and I got married, I had a condo and he had a house.  When we moved north we felt timing was off on selling either place (we rent them out) and we didn't want a third mortgage so we were restricted to our combined HELOCs.  We took a chance on a foreclosure via online auction.  To be fair, we already knew the area but not the exact road.  It was supercheap and way under what we could have done and we were willing to take a chance, knowing we could turn around and sell just the land for that amount.

We ended up lucky since the property abuts a nature reservation and is right on the trail system, which we kinda knew based on the map, but didn't fully appreciate until we saw it in person.  Also, this was late February and there was a whole lotta snow, so I was expecting a serious amount of junk when the snow melted and we were lucky that it was minimal.  The house itself is very old and needed a lot of work, but we knew that based on the photos.  And we're almost out in the boonies, so certain factors like proximity to neighbors and privacy -- stuff that you can't figure out easily online -- weren't that crucial.

It all depends on your appetite for risk and if you're willing to forgo the deposit.  Good luck - it sounds exciting!  Let us know how it goes.
  • I don't think you're entirely crazy- I understand WHY you did it- but I don't know if I could (I had to find a barn to board my horse at sight unseen once and it was nerve wracking- turned out good though ;) ), so you're just a little bit crazy ;).

It sounds like you've got a good realtor, but I agree it is good to see in person. So DH and I have just started looking for our first house and we've been to a couple of open houses. It's very interesting to look at pictures online and then see in person how the room actually looks, as pictures are deceiving- the size, the flow of rooms, neighbourhood, what the drive is like to get their, etc.

Personally, I think I'd rent and then buy once I was there. But if you're going into this purchasing thinking if anything else, it can be an investment property, that isn't so bad, versus thinking "this is our forever home".
  • @SP29 I totally agree on the difference in pictures vs seeing it in person! With both of our houses we have now it was an eye opening experience, especially the first time! we would see things online and think "it needs a little work but we could live in it", then we would show up and wonder how ANYONE was living in it! Good luck on your search, it's such an exciting process!

We are always looking for an investment, to us it's just a house, if it's a good deal and it fits things we need then it will work. As for a forever home, we are a bit nomadic at the moment, never seem to stay in one place for more than 3 years so I'm not sure we will ever be in that "forever home". :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our place before this one was just a rental but I had to trust FH to pick it out before I moved there. That was when I realized I have control and trust issues, lol! We are doing it again right after the wedding, international edition. He will go over first, live in a hotel for a bit, find us a place to live, and I will join after all my name change paperwork is done. Luckily, I have mellowed out a bit (i think) and have a lot more faith in him picking out a place.

But we are always renting. If we were buying a place I think I would have to visit, unless I knew the area super well.
  • Our place before this one was just a rental but I had to trust FH to pick it out before I moved there. That was when I realized I have control and trust issues, lol! We are doing it again right after the wedding, international edition. He will go over first, live in a hotel for a bit, find us a place to live, and I will join after all my name change paperwork is done. Luckily, I have mellowed out a bit (i think) and have a lot more faith in him picking out a place.

But we are always renting. If we were buying a place I think I would have to visit, unless I knew the area super well.

Good luck with your move! That is exciting that you are going international.. after I worked overseas for over 3 months I tried to get my H to move and I got a heck no. Also good luck with the name change paperwork, I feel like it's a pain in the you know what!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As long as you and your H aren't super picky people, ie freaking out because an accent wall is orange or the lighting fixtures are ugly, I don't think that's crazy at all.  Especially since you will be seeing it in 3 days, and I'm assuming there is an inspection contingency, you all can back out of it with no cost if there turns out to be some deal breaker.

With that said, I can be pretty adventurous with properties.  For the right price/circumstance, I'm not afraid to swing a hammer to make a house the home I want.  Up to and including building an addition, taking down/putting up walls, etc.

But on the negative side, being a real estate investor, I have gone on dozens of showings.  It can sometimes be shocking how great a house looks in pics, but it is an utter disaster once you see it in person.

My favorite.  In the pics, the house had floors, except for one room that had sub-flooring only.  I arrive for the showing and have to turn into a freakin' gymnast.  There were no floors.  At all.  Not even sub flooring.  Just the floor beams with pieces of wood thrown here and there for "platforms".  Good times, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that is a super funny visual! We have been through some awesome ones like that as well, especially with our first one because budget was so low!

Update on the house: It is structurally awesome, new roof this year, windows, AC, and furnace! It is terribly ugly inside but we like a fixer so it will be perfect for us. We are talking new flooring through the entire house, I want some walls to come down, paint is TERRIBLE! And by terrible I mean that I thought I sucked at painting and the paint in this house makes me look like a professional. I think the best part was the duct tape that they used as a transition strip.. last I checked an actual transition strip was like $5 but hey, what do I know!

For a cheaper alternative to hardwoods, I highly recommend wood-look tiles.  The first time I saw them was in a friend's house.  He had described them to me, but I thought, "They'll look nice, I'm sure they'll just look similar to wood but still be obvious they are not.  I mean they're tiles."

Blown away.  I was seriously wondering if he was messing with me and had really had hardwoods installed.  I literally crouched on the floor to touch them.  I just couldn't believe they were tiles.

I used it in a rehab turned rental and most of our potential tenants in showings mentioned how they liked the "hardwood floors".   Of course, we 'fess up its tile, but its awesome to get a high end look for a budget price.  Especially since our rentals tend to be in areas where one would not expect hardwoods anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that is a super funny visual! We have been through some awesome ones like that as well, especially with our first one because budget was so low!

Update on the house: It is structurally awesome, new roof this year, windows, AC, and furnace! It is terribly ugly inside but we like a fixer so it will be perfect for us. We are talking new flooring through the entire house, I want some walls to come down, paint is TERRIBLE! And by terrible I mean that I thought I sucked at painting and the paint in this house makes me look like a professional. I think the best part was the duct tape that they used as a transition strip.. last I checked an actual transition strip was like $5 but hey, what do I know!

For a cheaper alternative to hardwoods, I highly recommend wood-look tiles.  The first time I saw them was in a friend's house.  He had described them to me, but I thought, "They'll look nice, I'm sure they'll just look similar to wood but still be obvious they are not.  I mean they're tiles."

Blown away.  I was seriously wondering if he was messing with me and had really had hardwoods installed.  I literally crouched on the floor to touch them.  I just couldn't believe they were tiles.

I used it in a rehab turned rental and most of our potential tenants in showings mentioned how they liked the "hardwood floors".   Of course, we 'fess up its tile, but its awesome to get a high end look for a budget price.  Especially since our rentals tend to be in areas where one would not expect hardwoods anyway.

@short+sassy that is a super funny visual! We have been through some awesome ones like that as well, especially with our first one because budget was so low!

We did the wood tiles in our basement in our current house and they turned out awesome! Might be doing them again in the new one at least in the kitchen. Much easier to work with when it comes to water and other things.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards