Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Bummer

H and I are coming up on our 1 year anniversary. Our cake baker was one of those who provides a free duplicate topper so you don't have to freeze it. Unfortuanately, this baker is now out of business and we have no way to get this free topper. Pretty bummed that we now have no way to celebrate this tradition. I guess we should have saved at least one piece as a precaution. Live and learn. 

Re: Cake Bummer

• Options
    That sucks, I'm sorry. It won't be the same, but what about getting a bottle of the same wine you drank on your wedding day, or beer, or whatever cocktail you had and go with @kaos16's suggestion and get a small cake from another bakery? 
  • Options
    I'm sorry. Maybe you can get a small tasting cake from a different bakery? Take it as an opportunity to try a different flavor or design. Happy anniversary!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Happy anniversary!  The cake DH and I froze didn't taste great (maybe our freezer wasn't the right temp)...but every year we buy a small cake from our local bakery that was the same as our wedding cake.  Perhaps order one with either a drink from your wedding like PP suggested, or watch your wedding video?  
  • Options
    Thanks y'all. Our local baker wants $55 for a small cake topper! I think we will go the nice bottle of wine route, and maybe I'll try to bake. Does anyone have simple, yummy cake recipes?
  • Options
    We couldn't take our cake with us to freeze, as we got married in our hometown, a 3 hr plane flight from where we were living at the time. We just inhaled what remained of the cake in the 3 days following ;).

I agree, make a new tradition of trying a new cake each year.
  • Options
    TNDancer said:
    Thanks y'all. Our local baker wants $55 for a small cake topper! I think we will go the nice bottle of wine route, and maybe I'll try to bake. Does anyone have simple, yummy cake recipes?
    What flavor was your cake from the wedding?  I've found my Betty Crocker cookbook is the most simple and straight-forward for cakes.  You can always doctor up a cake mix by adding a little vanilla extract (and cinnamon--cinnamon with chocolate is awesome) if you don't want to start from scratch.  My favorite frosting is a basic buttercream (no matter what type of cake!), which is basically 3 c powdered sugar, 1/3 c butter (softened), 1 tsp vanilla, and enough milk to make it spreadable--1-2 tbsp, normally.  It won't be as pretty as your wedding cake, but it will taste good.  Maybe ask H to help you with it, and you'll start a new tradition for your anniversary?
  • Options
    Order one from another local baker - I agree with the PP - start a new tradition of getting a special dessert on your anniversary!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Have you ever tasted cake that has been frozen for a year?  I have.  It is horrible.  Buy a new, fresh cake and celebrate without the topper.
    I wrapped my plastic bride and groom from 1976 in plastic wrap and saved it for years.  It took up space in my cabinet.  I finally threw it out.
    I only wish I could find a bakery that makes the "champagne cake" that used to be sold at Barbara's Bake Shop in Des Moines, Iowa!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @CMGragain Our frozen cake wasn't too bad, actually. I know that it's definitely the exception, not the rule, but I was pleasantly surprised. It helped though that the chef where we had our wedding sealed that sucker up nice and tight in plastic wrap - helped keep it somewhat moist and tasty, but certainly not the same as it being fresh.
  • Options
    TNDancer said:
    That's NUTS!  Agree with @kaos16 to just go to a baker and get a "normal" cake with no mention of a wedding or anniversary.  I guarantee that a small cake can be had for much less than $55.  Attach the word "wedding" to something and sometimes the quote gets bumped up significantly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff13zZ0h0k 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Have you ever tasted cake that has been frozen for a year?  I have.  It is horrible.  Buy a new, fresh cake and celebrate without the topper.
    I wrapped my plastic bride and groom from 1976 in plastic wrap and saved it for years.  It took up space in my cabinet.  I finally threw it out.
    I only wish I could find a bakery that makes the "champagne cake" that used to be sold at Barbara's Bake Shop in Des Moines, Iowa!
    We finished up ours on our 3-year - it still tasted great!  But then again, it was pound cake with buttercream icing, very little freezes better than that (though it wasn't even REMOTELY the cake we'd ordered but it was good considering - pound cake.. and not the moist yummy spice cake we'd ordered instead)
  • Options
    TNDancer said:
    Thanks everyone. H and I are making a cake together. It will be lemon cake with blueberry filling and buttercream. I'll be following some new recipes, but should taste good. He is convinced he can frost it prettily.
    That's very sweet :) Hopefully you two can start a new tradition, or at least have a fun memory!

(One time DH and I, before we were married, picked strawberries and made jam together. It was fun at the time, but when it was all done we decided to continue to buy jam off the grocery store shelf ;)).
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Oops -- I meant to reply but this thread has been inactive for some time.